Tractor Sizing What size tractor do i need?

/ What size tractor do i need? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Ok this is my first post and I am new to this tractor stuff. I went out looking for a lawn mower but saw the sub-compact tractors and felt it would be money better spent. I just do not want to get to much tractor. I have thought about what I would use the tractor for and here is the list:

1. Mowing 85% of the time (2 acres with some trees and the lot is somewhat sloped.)
2. Tilling small garden (around 1/4 acre)
3. Yard finishing (I am in the construction business and I put most of the yards in, 5-6 a year, however I already have a skid steer so FEL capacity is not a real issue as I would only use it for transporting mulch. I would however use a rake for finishing)
4. Mowing lots I have for sale (these are mostly level and cleared, just need to knock light brush off)
5. As to what the future holds I am not sure, but I don’t want this to become a business tractor, I will be purchasing it for use mainly around the house.

I have narrowed my search down to three tractors. I have driven them all and have no favorites they all have good and bad to them. From what I have seen on this forum and after pricing at local dealers here is what I have found:

A. BX1500 +FEL +54”mmm, around $9600.00
B. BX2200 +FEL +60”mmm, around $11,500.00
C. JD 2210 +FEL +62”mmm, around $12,200.00

I also think that I will need a 4’ Box Blade, 4’ Rotary Cuter and around a 40” Tiller. My biggest problem is that I only have 12.5K to spend. So the question finally, should I buy the BX1500 with all implements, the BX2200 with some implements, or the JD 2210 with no additional implements?

I think I have covered what I know, so any input would be nice. I will say I am leaning toward the BX1500 with implements but still unsure. Lastly I have found two dealers for each Kubota and John Deere that I liked so that is not a problem.

Thanks
Ryan

/ What size tractor do i need? #2  
Welcome to the forum! You'll get better advice than this /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but here's my input...

<font color="blue"> A. BX1500 +FEL +54”mmm, around $9600.00
B. BX2200 +FEL +60”mmm, around $11,500.00
C. JD 2210 +FEL +62”mmm, around $12,200.00

I also think that I will need a 4’ Box Blade, 4’ Rotary Cuter and around a 40” Tiller. My biggest problem is that I only have 12.5K to spend. So the question finally, should I buy the BX1500 with all implements, the BX2200 with some implements, or the JD 2210 with no additional implements? </font>

The BX1500 will have a tough time with the 4' implements, although if you're taking it easy it might do OK. A 40" tiller (you'd probably wind up with a 38") will probably be the most you can handle. I don't know all the specs on the JD, so I can't speak to that. I do know that a bunch of folks do just fine with a 4' cutter on the BX2200, and it is also supposed to be a really great mowing machine (I expect the BX1800 is nearly as good).

I would have gone with a JD but found that for an equivelant tractor that you can get more for your $$$ if you buy a Kubota (just personal experience, FWIW). But all three are good machines and for the uses you are describing I'm sure any of them would work. My inclination, though, would be to recommend the BX2200 as a good compromise between price and performance.

/ What size tractor do i need? #3  
In that size range, I would also check the Kioti CK20. More powerful than the BX1500, yet might be more competitively priced so you can afford some other implements.
Pacesetter

/ What size tractor do i need? #4  
With two acres my personal opinion is a 54" mower will take some time to mow. Just my personal opinion and with other places to be at with the mower I think the 60" will make a difference. I am not real familiar with Kubota but I believe they do make a BX1800. I would check pricing on that one to see if you could save some money for more implements. I personaly think the 1500 is a tad bit small, but you can make it work it will just take more time to do things.

Pacesetter mentioned Kioti, another good tractor if you have a dealer in your area. The savings you get on the Kioti will give you some extra monies for implements.

I know that you want implements but my recomendation would be to make sure you have the right tractor for the 80% of your work and let the implements come in the future. To me it looks like the mower, FEL and rotary cutter would be your major implements to start out with. The tiller you could rent one for the first couple of years. We can rent them around here for $75.00 a day. You should be able to get your wifes garden done in a day easily.

just my 2 pennies

murph

/ What size tractor do i need?
I go with Murph. Check out the Kioti's, Century,Branson and Korean Mahindra's if there is a dealer in your area. You will get more tractor for the money and the quality seems to be the same.

/ What size tractor do i need?
A quick response to the other brands mentioned. (My option)

1.Kioti: Bad dealer in area, dealer support means a lot to me
2.Century over twice as heavy, no dealer in area
3.Branson again over twice as heavy, dealer over an hour away
4.Mahindra again over twice as heavy, dealer over an hour away

Maybe I am wrong here but with my experience weight is bad for a lawn. Is this correct? I will be using the tractor on a finished lawns 90% of the time.

As for renting equipment there are a great deal of companies around that do that. I would not have a problem renting equipment for a year or so if needed.

Thanks again
Ryan

/ What size tractor do i need? #7  
Ryan,
Weight is important. However the width of the tires is the more critical factor. The tires "contact patch" will determine how the weight is spread. Narrow tires on a tractor will likely leave ruts, while wider turf tires may not.

/ What size tractor do i need? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
1.Kioti: Bad dealer in area, dealer support means a lot to me
2.Century over twice as heavy, no dealer in area
3.Branson again over twice as heavy, dealer over an hour away
4.Mahindra again over twice as heavy, dealer over an hour away )</font>

Ryan,

Them are all good reasons, throw them out, don't consider them anymore.

Weight is a factor. But I think with the Horsepower range your looking at you don't have to worry. I mow my lawn with a New Holland TC29D with R4 tires. The tractor weighs around 2900lbs with the mower. I do have to kind of watch in the wetter conditions but otherwise I don't have any trouble. I still think you should check out the BX1800. That extra 3 horsepower will come in handy. I would not expect you to pay more than a grand from the 15 to the 18. I just think the 15 is a bit small. the 18 would allow you to get a few implements and maybe all of them to stay under the $12,500.

Good luck in your decision

murph

/ What size tractor do i need? #9  
<font color="blue">…I will be using the tractor on a finished lawns 90% of the time….

… I already have a skid steer so FEL capacity is not a real issue… I would however use a rake for finishing…

…will need a 4’ Box Blade, 4’ Rotary Cuter and around a 40” Tiller…

…I only have 12.5K to spend… </font>

Any one of your three choices would be ideal for mowing, however when using ground engagement equipment, bulk weight and horsepower is needed… the more… the better…

None of these choices are good candidates for “brush hogging”.

Have you considered this…? You already “own” a fel with the skid steer… so with the $12.5k budget, forego any fel, apply those savings towards a larger hp unit (perhaps even look @ JD 401x and Kubota B’s with implements such as rake and tiller now… then later get the rotary cutter…

/ What size tractor do i need? #10  
you might want to look at it this way< if u get a tractor because u can get all the implements and it fits your budget, but the tractor won't do what u want it to, WHATS THE POINT? get a tractor that is capable of doing your tasks and add the implements as u can afford them. to me it sounds like u should go with the bx 2200 or similar, get the fel and mower and whatever else fits your budget. MHO! WELCOME TO THE FORUM