New home purchase, new to cutting grass WHICH TRACTOR ??

/ New home purchase, new to cutting grass WHICH TRACTOR ?? #1  

Aceshigh

Tractor
None
Hey guys, I'm a Chi-town city boy and I'm not use to having big lawns to maintain.
We're moving out to a NW Suburb of Chicago and we're getting about .8 of an acre with this new house we purchased.
It's all flat land, no hills.

I've in the market now for a riding lawn mower because I want to enjoy myself and not push a mower 2x or 4x a month.
I'd like this to be a pleasurable experience (cup holder) AND easy on my back.

So I'm looking into Lawn or Garden Tractors. I'm an overkill kinda guy and I like to buy the best.
So everyone is telling me to go with John Deere from a distributor, not a retailer.
So I like to buy used stuff just because I think alot of the depreciation comes in handy for new buyers
getting a higher quality product, but therein lies risk of problems naturally that I'm willing to risk.

I am also not sure if I want to add a snow blower to this or not but I like the flexibility.
Mind you, I am SERIOUSLY an overkill kinda guy.

I'm looking at a
#1. 1998 GT275 PRISTINE looks like new for $1900
5Ld5K15Fb3G93Kc3I5c47afaccfbacad210f2.jpg

#2. 20?? John Deere 320 for $2000

5Gf5Ka5H13K53I23H3c3p804999765e8712a0.jpg

#3. 2010 Husqvarna YTH2454 $1300
5Lf5J65Mb3G73Jc3N6c4768d212c8a8db136a.jpg

/ New home purchase, new to cutting grass WHICH TRACTOR ?? #2  
Welcome to TBN!!!

There is a Lawn and Garden forum on TBN which may provide more information and alternatives.
All 3 machines you posted looked good (I liked the 275 the most), but it really depends on how much you want to spend...and any other tasks you may have (snow removal from your drive, for example).

The "Big Box" store Deeres don't have a good reputation. They aren't really "Deeres"...just a marketing ploy.

/ New home purchase, new to cutting grass WHICH TRACTOR ?? #3  
Welcome

/ New home purchase, new to cutting grass WHICH TRACTOR ??
All 3 machines you posted looked good (I liked the 275 the most), but it really depends on how much you want to spend...and any other tasks you may have (snow removal from your drive, for example).

I can't find any info on the 300 series.....but I know the GT275 is air cooled.
Alot of people say air is free, and easier to maintain, but louder.

I don't care if it's louder, in the end, I just want something that lasts and employs the K.I.S.S. rule of thumb.
But I don't know what the other 2 choices are....

The "Big Box" store Deeres don't have a good reputation. They aren't really "Deeres"...just a marketing ploy.

This is also what I've heard. Is the 320 a Big Box ??
Hence why I'm trying to buy a quality product that can last me 15 or more years if maintained.

/ New home purchase, new to cutting grass WHICH TRACTOR ?? #5  
Welcome to TBN!!!

I would go with what Roy said. :thumbsup:

/ New home purchase, new to cutting grass WHICH TRACTOR ?? #6  
Rally want the best in used? Spend a little more for a 400 series or at least a 318. Shaft drive, liquid cooled, power steering, heavy frame. Outstanding snow machines.

/ New home purchase, new to cutting grass WHICH TRACTOR ??
Don't want to spend more then $2,000 tops.

There is a Lawn and Garden forum on TBN which may provide more information and alternatives..

I just found this, thanks......couldn't see it on my Android for some reason...

/ New home purchase, new to cutting grass WHICH TRACTOR ?? #8  
I have a GT 275, bought it 12 years ago with a snow blower. It's been a great machine, plenty of power and the HST is the best for manuvering.
About 2 years ago I had to have the pan gasket replaced for $250 by a local guy. Deere wanted $750. I like their equipment but not the way they deal with you.
I don't think you can go wrong with this one. I know I'd buy another. The single stage snow blower does an incredible job.
The price is more than fair.
The 320 is a good machine as well. This one looks like it has some age on it.

/ New home purchase, new to cutting grass WHICH TRACTOR ?? #9  
Don't want to spend more then $2,000 tops.

I just found this, thanks......couldn't see it on my Android for some reason...

Any of the models you originally listed will be fine for .8 acres. You may get 15 years out of one of those as used machines with just .8 acres, if you take really good care of it. What you have listed will suffice, but not top quality in my book. $2000 doesn't buy you a "top quality" used machine. Maybe better than the equivalent new big box store deposible. But, only barely.

/ New home purchase, new to cutting grass WHICH TRACTOR ?? #10  
That GT is a step up in size from my LX188 of similar vintage, but they operate very similarly if I recall correctly, including easy to remove decks. If you can find an LX188, it provides the benefit of a liquid cooled engine and a slightly better turning radius. Also should be under your budget. But of those three, I'd buy that GT and be very happy with it. Excellent tractor and simple to maintain.

I agree with the poster above on the single-stage blowers. They are incredibly effective and simple to maintain.