Compact Tractor Purchase Decision

/ Compact Tractor Purchase Decision #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hello to all!! I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joe and I have a small Lawn and Landscape maintenance buisenss in the California Central Coast. I am interested in purchasing a compact utility tractor to expand my business into Bush Hog mowing (hilly terrain), auger operation, trenching, box scraping to name a few. I will probably want a loader somewhere down the line but don't think that I need one immediately /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have been looking in the local classifides and have not had much luck in my area. I have several dealers close by (New Holland, Kubota, John Deere.) I have been looking at the NH,TC29, TC33; K B7800, L3130. I am sure that many of you have had experience with these machines and thought that you could give me any advice or recommend a machine that I haven't considered. I rented a Kubota B7800 for Bush Hogging and found this maching to be a little small. I think that I want a hydrostatic trans. Anyways, I am sure that you have seen similar threads 100s of times but any help would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,

Joe Pauly

/ Compact Tractor Purchase Decision #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but don't think that I need one )</font> /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hi Joe,
Welcome to the TBN.
Re-consider your FEL thinking. Having no loader on a CUT kinda takes some of the "U" out of "Utility"
There are a Million & 1 use for an FEL, even more so with a Bobcat, Qwik-Tach type system. A CUT with qwik-tach, proper FEL capabilities and suitable hydraulic power, opens up a whole new world of front mounted attachments and the work projeccts they can do. I can visualize a guy in your trade cleaning commercial parking lots with a nice front mounted hydraulic sweeper.
I would almost guarantee it to be your most used implement.
Best of luck with your search, keep us updated.

/ Compact Tractor Purchase Decision #3  
Mark,

That's pretty good, takin the "U" out of CUT. Actually I think you take the "T" out of CUT also. I don't think anyone can imagine what that FEL can do. I've even used it to take Softner Salt to the back of the house. I have my daughter raise me up in the loader to hang things in the garage. I use it for pruning branches out of trees. I use it to lift my front end when I take the mower off and put back on. I use it as a wheel borrow. I really think I could go on and on with this but I won't. Another thing one has to realise that adding a loader at a later time can get expensive. I think in another thread a bunch of people stated this.

So don't leave the loader out right now. Get it and use it.

JMO
murph

/ Compact Tractor Purchase Decision #4  
I think you should look at what the competition is using, and start from there. If anyone of them can tell you about their experience with the machines, that will be a bonus.

Good luck.

SethO

/ Compact Tractor Purchase Decision #5  
Finding a used compact tractor in California is tough. I have watched the trader for a year and a half. Finally gave up and ordered a BX22. That may be a bit small for heavy brush hog work. All the tractors you have mentioned are good. Go with the dealer and deal you like best. And get the FEL!

/ Compact Tractor Purchase Decision #6  
Welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By all means, if you can swing the financing, get a FEL. They are probably the most useful implement you can get and they usually cost less if you buy them as part of a package, rather than wiating for later. Just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Compact Tractor Purchase Decision #7  
Joe,
Yes, used compact tractors are tough to come by in California. We sell Yanmar and Iseki imports and the new Bransons, plus the occasional John Deere, Kubota, New Holland or Massey. If you ever get up to Northen California, please come by for a visit.

On the issue of a FEL, a wise fellow once said that "a tractor without a FEL is a slow way to get to work". Other than the obvious uses for the FEL, it also makes the back of the tractor work better, as it provides needed front end ballast.

Mowing on hilly terrain is certainly the type of work that requires a ROPS. Most all gray market imports and even many older USA models do not have them. Safety should be the first concern.

Good luck in your search.

/ Compact Tractor Purchase Decision
Thanks for all the helpful advice! I will definetly get a loader with my tractor. Now the search continues for the perfect one. I will keep you posted when I narrow my search down.

JP