Curtis cab

/ Curtis cab #1  

Jimmy Joe

Gold Member
I found a new Curtis cab for my DX 40, dealer has had it for almost three years now. It comes with heater for $2500.00, they no longer make my tractor or the Curtis cab to fit it. Should I jump on this deal or pass, are people happy with their Curtis cabs? I'm really leaning toward getting it, I have until end of April to decide.

/ Curtis cab #2  
I found a new Curtis cab for my DX 40, dealer has had it for almost three years now. It comes with heater for $2500.00, they no longer make my tractor or the Curtis cab to fit it. Should I jump on this deal or pass, are people happy with their Curtis cabs? I'm really leaning toward getting it, I have until end of April to decide.

Any other details? Glass or plastic windows? Hard plastic, vinyl or glass doors? Wipers or defrosters?
These things make a difference. I looked into a Curtis several years ago for the JD 790 that I had at the time. Looked like a low budget cab with a premium price in my case, so I swapped the tractor for something with a factory cab.

/ Curtis cab #3  
That would be a tough call imo, in your locale a cab tractor would be much more comfortable for sure. I think I would compare trading up to a factory cab tractor before making the decision. The Curtis cab isn't near as nice as a factory cab and won't add much value to your tractor if you decide to trade up later.

Which way I would go would depend on how much winter use I had for the tractor and how much difference in cost to trade up. I would prefer to skip the Curtis cab as it will not hold up as well as your tractor.

/ Curtis cab #4  
If you like your tractor and plan on keeping it I'd buy it in a heart beat.. I think I paid about 4 gr for mine a few years back and love it,, very tuff..

I have the soft doors and the rest is glass.. Heater works great windsheild wiper works great too.. :thumbsup:

/ Curtis cab
My understanding is it is a hard cab all around with glass windows, hard doors that remove in summer, just lift off. Not sure if it has wipers in front just assumed it did. All good points will check further, trading for a factory cab tractor would be major money, not too interested in that and I really like the tractor, the loader is a perfect fit and with the sloped hood visibility using the loader is second to nothing I have tried.

/ Curtis cab #6  
I have a Curtis hard cab on my JD x855. Purchased tractor last fall had a snow plow with FEL. I have found that the glass makes for good visibility, wiper works good and the heat in a snow storm kept me nice and toasty. If the tractor is going to get lots of winter use that seems like a good deal.

/ Curtis cab #7  
I have had my Curtis Cab for 4 years now, bought it with my new tractor. It has plastic windows in the doors and behind the seat, glass windshield with wiper. I have no heater and don't want one no need as far as I am concerned.
Looks like a great price, go for it!!

/ Curtis cab #8  
I would grab that deal for the price... I bought the hardside cab on a pallet 4 yrs ago for $3700. It took two of us about 6 hrs to install on the L3830. Now countless hours later I have a 4 cct fuse panel fed from a 50A breaker, ft/rr work lights, rear view mirror, heater with fresh filtered air, aux 12v plug for the heated seat pad, gun boot hangar, frt wiper (was included), rear wiper (from a wrecker IH cab) that bolted into the predrilled glass holes. I was really pleased with how the loader valve fit through the front lower glass porthole in the cab, no need for any mods except popping out the glass. I can still lower the ROPS and squeeze under the 7 ft garage door. The lockable door latches still work flawlessly, the weather stripping against the fender wells all fits tight, the headliner is still glued in place. For sound protection I wear a set of AO Safety Worktunes, they even work great for FM reception. The biggest drawback to this cab IMO is the radiated heat from the console and floor. As a trade-off the heater in Winter easily makes up for it.
I planned on installing some reflector bubble wrap to block the heat from those areas, but now I have a 5740 with factory cab A/C for those hot days (could not resist the deal on this one!!) One thing I will have to be careful with is not scraping the new fiberglass roof under the spruce and pine limbs like I always have previously with the metal Curtis cab.

Attachments

• Kubota L3830 Left view.jpg
    Kubota L3830 Left view.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 349
  • Kubota L3830 Right view.jpg
    Kubota L3830 Right view.jpg
    847.5 KB · Views: 441
  • Kubota 5740-1.jpg
    Kubota 5740-1.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 395
   / Curtis cab #9  
The dealer has had it for 3-years now, and you're the first interested party? Offer him $1,500 for it.

I agree with JJZ 109's opinion on Curtis cabs.

/ Curtis cab #10  
My understanding is it is a hard cab all around with glass windows, hard doors that remove in summer, just lift off. Not sure if it has wipers in front just assumed it did. All good points will check further, trading for a factory cab tractor would be major money, not too interested in that and I really like the tractor, the loader is a perfect fit and with the sloped hood visibility using the loader is second to nothing I have tried.

Could be worth looking into if its all glass and has hard doors. Way back when I was investigating a Curtis they wanted serious money for a cab with vinyl doors, no heat/defrost or wipers.
I was thinking about moving from a gear to hydro tractor anyway, so the cab issue just pushed me a little sooner. I was tired of looking like the abominable snowman whenever I had to use the blower.
Like mjncad says, it can't hurt to try and low ball them a little bit if its been sitting around for that long and they want to be rid of it. But if it has the glass & doors like garf's I think I'd snap it up for $2500.