Price Check International 184 LoBoy w/ attachments: what's it worth?

/ International 184 LoBoy w/ attachments: what's it worth? #1  

ethanjrt

Tractor
International 184 LoBoy
Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, and to tractors in general, but I'm taking a crash course. My dad has owned an International 184 LoBoy (serial #: 2000116U049689) for many years now, complete with several accessories (Sno-Lander 322/H rotary snow plow, Mott CLB60 Hammer Knife mower, International 15 rotary tiller, as well as a grader and an International york rake). I'm trying to sell it for him, but I really have no idea how much it would be worth. The tractor and the attachments have been sitting outside for upwards of 10 years, so I'm selling it "as-is"; I expect this will be a fixer-upper sort of project.

I've made a Craiglist ad, mostly so that I can share photos with other forum members: 1979 International 184 LoBoy Tractor w/ 5 attachments. (The price I've listed - $5,000 - is probably too high, but I'd definitely prefer that to starting too low!)

Please let me know what you think! I don't know anything about tractors, but I do have a folder with some documentation and specifications, so hopefully I can answer any questions that might be relevant to the tractor's value.

Thanks,
Ethan

/ International 184 LoBoy w/ attachments: what's it worth? #2  
That is way high. My neighbor bought one 2 years ago with a belly mower, roto tiller, and a large lawn roller for $1100 that was garage keep. It also had 2 full set of tires and rims. One set was tractor tires and the other was turf tires.

His is in 80% original condition and running.

I would guess you would be lucky to get $800 without it running.

Chris

/ International 184 LoBoy w/ attachments: what's it worth? #3  
If it cosmetically was a 10 with a good cleaning to remove the dust I'd say 3500 if it was running properly when parked. To have less as far as condition the price would drop accordingly.

/ International 184 LoBoy w/ attachments: what's it worth? #4  
The 184 was the odd ball from the numbered LoBoy series. The 154 and 185 are very similar machines, the 184 is a very different setup even though it looks similar and uses a lot of the same parts. The clutch is different, the PTO system is different, and a few other things.

In running condition, number series LoBoys struggle to bring $2,000 in most parts of the country. They don't have the collector interest that they once did, and while they are fun old machines, they're not the most practical in today's world. They're a bit underpowered for ground engaging work (plowing, grading, etc) and the transmission is a little slow for mowing. 1st and 2nd are slow, 3rd is way too fast. Even though 1st gear is too slow to mow with, it's also too fast to properly run the IH tiller. Most of them did not come with the three point hitch, so attachment options were limited. The cab on yours looks to be home made, or at least adapted from another machine, and I think you're missing some sheet metal covers that go in front of the dash on either side. Is the engine locked up, or can you grab the fan blade and turn it over? After sitting outside for so long, the body is pretty rough.

Don't despair, though! All is not lost. You have some very sought after items there in your attachments. Your tractor does have the 3 point hitch, along with the IH tiller. Since it has the tiller, there is a very good chance it is set up with the factory 'creeper' gear, which slows the ground speed down enough for the tiller to run properly. Those are the three most sought after attachments for these machines. The York rake, Mott mower, snowblower, and grader blade are also desirable, especially if you have all the mounting brackets and PTO parts to operate them. If the attachments are not seized, rusted out, or otherwise damaged, that's where the money is. The collection of attachments will probably be worth as much or more than the 184 that has not run in 10 years. You should try to get pictures of all the attachments.

Even with their desirability, I think your asking price is very optimistic. Assuming all the attachments are in fair condition and the tractor's engine is not stuck, a more realistic asking price is probably about half of what you have there, and the selling price may be a couple of hundred less. Not trying to beat you up, but the market for these things just isn't what it used to be.

/ International 184 LoBoy w/ attachments: what's it worth? #5  
Im sorry to say but I have to agree. I would be thinking around $1500 in our area. I can pick up a IH similar to your ready to run for 2K with some nice attachments.
For example: I recently purchased a decent running 1968 square hood cub with a belly mower for $800
Good luck!!!!

/ International 184 LoBoy w/ attachments: what's it worth? #6  
I think after 10 years of sitting outside, I think 1K is a lot. A neighbor of mine bought one a couple years ago, for 1K. It was running, with a mower, blower, & tiller. It had always been stored inside. He didn't like it, said it didn't mow as fast as he wanted. He sold it, bought a zero turn.

/ International 184 LoBoy w/ attachments: what's it worth? #7  
I agree with 56Fordguy, the draw is the attachments, particularly if they match the tractor. Does the tractor even run? It would definitely be a project, but I bet someone out there in tractorland is chomping at the bit for such a project.....:licking::laughing:
I would drop the asking price to around the 2800 mark, and I bet it would sell for between 1500-2500.

And, :welcome: to TBN!

/ International 184 LoBoy w/ attachments: what's it worth? #8  
In this part of the country, the tractor might be worth 1000-1500, and the implements about another 1000-1500. All depends on who wants what.
...and that pretty much depends on whether the tractor will turn over and all the parts to the attachments are there.

Last edited:
   / International 184 LoBoy w/ attachments: what's it worth?
Thank you all for the prompt and informative responses! They will be really helpful going forward. I already have a decent offer for two of the attachments, and another for the whole shebang.
Thanks again :)
-Ethan

/ International 184 LoBoy w/ attachments: what's it worth? #10  
Thats great - good luck with your sale!