Researching 1st Tractor Purchase

/ Researching 1st Tractor Purchase #1  

101stAir

Tractor
None, yet.
My young bride and I have recently built a place outside of Lugoff, SC. We have 2 acres now and are negotiating for around 4-6 more. I know very little about operating and purchasing a proper used tractor, but have found this group to be a fine source of helpful end-users. Though open to any good option, we are interested in the Yanmars for their reported reliability, simplicity (not a billion electrical issues to worry about) and ease of finding parts. I reached out to the Yanmar group and found them very helpful.

However, does anyone have any other brand suggestions if I'm looking for a used older-fashioned weight, durability, reliabilty, future part availabilty and affordibilty? With our lot size anything from sub-compact to smaller compact should fit our applications (mowing, gardening, brush hog, rake, box blade etc. However, that additional acreage we will likely purchase is uncleared and could certainly use some extra umph! Lots of smaller oaks and pines (under 8inch diameter) in sandy soil to knock down. Thanks in advance for any tips!

/ Researching 1st Tractor Purchase #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Researching 1st Tractor Purchase #3  
Welcome to TBN from Missouri. I guess it depends on how "old fashioned" you want to go. John Deere and Kubota have been making tractors in this size for a long time and all are pretty good.

Of course many don't even try to get just one machine, but rather a good lawn mower and good old tractor like a Ford 600-800 etc. Massey in the various sizes and so on. The tractors we use to farm with are now considered to be hobby machines.

/ Researching 1st Tractor Purchase #4  
You have just asked about a wide open field of farm equipment. Find something you can use easily..Think about future uses and be careful in learning the ropes of operation..

/ Researching 1st Tractor Purchase #6  
Of course many don't even try to get just one machine, but rather a good lawn mower and good old tractor like a Ford 600-800 etc. Massey in the various sizes and so on. The tractors we use to farm with are now considered to be hobby machines.

I'd agree, it sounds like you'd be better suited to 2 machines. You say you're looking for an old school heavy tractor and mowing won't be a strong point of that type of machine.

I also agree, you're question is a little too wide open and you may get a million color biased answers. Depending on how old you want to go, I'd personally start shopping all the dealers (colors) around you, let them teach you all about their brand and each of the models they think meet your needs, and let you drive each one to get a feel. That experience will be critical to finding the right used tractor, either privately or through a dealer.

/ Researching 1st Tractor Purchase #7  
Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma.

Ken

/ Researching 1st Tractor Purchase #8  
Depending on your present and future needs, the acquisition of a farm tractor and implements opens up a vast arena of possibilities in regards to makes and models; etc. Perhaps this website will be of some assistance. TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors Reviewing the forums here on TBN will prove invaluable. BTW, Welcome aboard. :tractor:

/ Researching 1st Tractor Purchase #10  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons Forum.