JD 110 vs?

/ JD 110 vs? #1  

gabtrac

Hello,
I'm seriously considering a John Deere 110 Loader Backhoe. It'll be my first piece of equipment. That said, I'd like to get everyone's opinion on other options/brands. How does this unit compare to, and what would be other option in this size range?
Thanks!

/ JD 110 vs? #2  
You could look at the Kubota L39 and L45. I believe they both spec out about the same or a little better than the 110. I have a L39 and use of a brand new L45 and love them both.

Attachments

• IMG00214-20120225-1716.jpg
    IMG00214-20120225-1716.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 208
   / JD 110 vs?
Hey Thanks MB,

Ya, I'm looking for a BH loader that's versatile and tough. I have about 10 acres on the BC coast. So log/rock moving, clearing, driveway maintenance, and construction all on a rocky un-even property. I've looked through the forums extensively and have gleaned a great deal of useful info (I love this place). But I still don't know what I'm talking about, ya know...
I think the 110tlb is the largest size I'd want - I think it's perfect actually. But finding a used one is a b%#ch! So I'm wondering what other people like in the size range to open myself up to more options in the used market. ie Kioti DK 40...

/ JD 110 vs? #4  
I'm here to tell you it's not impossible. I just bout a 2006 110 with 630 hours, all auxiliary hydraulics, grapple, thumb, forks, 3 pt hitch with top and tilt and a hydraulic box blade for $26.5 and after shipping from MT to MI, $29k.

I've got a lot of BH work to do and the ~10 hours of my own on it, it's awesome. I had a problem with the diverter - but that's the joy of buying used.

One of the biggest advantages to a 110 or the latest Kubota has to offer is the creep to repo where you can drive the tractor facing backwards toward the backhoe. You can NOT get this on a regular tractor, making you dismount drive a little distance and remount the backhoe. The other is the hoe on the 110 or the Kubota's is much more powerful than a standard tractor.

I would suggest looking at the Kubota's. I personally ruled out the L39 because I wanted HST. The L45 would be the comparable to the 110. Though similar in specs, the L45 has a smaller stature. The M59 is a whole other animal and much larger and more capable of the 110 - If I could've afforded a new one, the M59 would have definitely been my choice, but I'm still very happy with the 110.

One thing for sure, if you get a 110 - be sure to get one with all the hydraulic options, can't add them as a dealer install - factory only, but they are really nice!

I've still been keeping track of the 110's, if you post your location I'd be more than happy to post some links to some near you.

Good luck on the search!

/ JD 110 vs?
Hey Martian THANKS!
Very interesting. Reinforces my 110 tlb thoughts.
re the hydraulics - one option I will need on the BH is a thumb. Is this a simple install on all 110's or would I need those factory hydraulics you mention?
And oh ya, I'm in BC Canada near Vancouver. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

/ JD 110 vs?
And one other question about the hydraulics - what is the full list of hydraulic options I should be looking for?

Thanks,
ak

/ JD 110 vs? #7  
Your full hydraulic set up would be 3rd function hydraulics on the front end loader, 3 rear remotes and the hydraulics on the backhoe. NONE, of these may be added afterward as a kit from Deere. If your really handy, you could spend a boat load on parting everything out and installing it all, but I wouldn't recommend that to say the least.

You are north of the border, and I haven't done much searching up that way, but I have seen a lot of nice 110's in Montana and Washington area, if you are willing to buy across the border. Not done it myself, but supposed to be a pretty straight forward process. Customs just makes sure it's not stolen before leaving the country. Here are a couple worth a look

2006 DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com

2004 DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com

2007 DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com

The first two have all the hydraulic options, but it looks like the third is missing the 3 rear remotes. I actually bought my 110 from the same dealer that is selling the second 110, and although the first is being sold privately, it has Triple W stickers on it as well. I would highly recommend looking into that first machine - looks really nice.

About the thumb - you need the hydraulics on the backhoe installed from the factory AND you must have the quick connect bucket for the JD hoe. If there is the pin on style bucket you won't be able to use the thumb.

How rude of me as well - forgot to post some pictures!

/ JD 110 vs?
Martian, you are a Gentleman.
I appreciate all of this. You've taken me many steps forward.
I have no problems with importing from the USA so thanks!
Is there a way to make sure it isn't stolen before I buy it?
Cheers,
ak

/ JD 110 vs? #9  
Only way is to get the serial number and run it by the local JD dealer. I believe it may have to be cleared of all liens as well - but that shouldn't be an issue on a 6-7 year old machine as it should be paid off.

/ JD 110 vs? #10  
That first one Martian Posted looked real good..:thumbsup: