Comparison Massey 1526 or kubota b2920

/ Massey 1526 or kubota b2920 #1  

Dr Marko

Tractor
Massey ferguson 1529
I was quoted the Massey 1526 with a front end loader and 60 inch mmm for $21000. The kubota 2920 with the same came in at $19200. Both have 5 years 0% financing. I have 9 acres 2 of which will be grass the rest is woods, the Massey weighs almost 400 pounds more and looks like a beefier tractor while the kubota seems more nimble. What are your thoughts?
Thanks

/ Massey 1526 or kubota b2920 #2  
Welcome to the forum.

I would go with the Massey. You stated that the Massey was heavier and better built. This shows in the price difference between the Massey and the Kubota. Another point to remember is what you plan on doing with it.

/ Massey 1526 or kubota b2920
Thanks my first tractor purchase and I don't want to buy something I regret. I have lurked the boards here for a while and have found a common theme of don't buy something thats not powerful enough. My worry is buying too big, a bull in a china shop, the Massey being too big and heavy to go into the woods

Last edited:
   / Massey 1526 or kubota b2920 #4  
I haven't compared the two side by side, but how much bigger physically is the Massey compare to the kubota. In my mind you can never have to much tractor or to many. With the Massey the greater weight will allow more traction for pulling trailers, logs or whatever you plan on using it for in the woods and will handle a loader better because of the extra weight. I don't see a issue with the Massey being to big to go in the woods. I use my Massey 1020 in the woods and it works good but having a bigger tractor would leave more options and open more possibility for a bigger trailer for hauling and better braking for going down hills with a load.

/ Massey 1526 or kubota b2920 #5  
The Kubota will hold its value much better than the MF if that is a concern on resale value. The Kubotas are usually lighter than most other tractors power for power. I was just comparing the Kubota 2320 with the Kioti CK 20 which is smaller tractor but weighs 1993 compared to the 2320 @1438 and Kioti has more lift at 1109 pounds at 24" on the 3 PH. I am looking for a TLB in the 20-25 HP range and the Kioti looks like it is beating everyone for size and lift. I havent got a price yet so will have to see how that goes. When you jump up the th CK 25 the weight gets wayyy heavier at 3055 but that is a couple HP larger

/ Massey 1526 or kubota b2920 #6  
MF all the way for me !!

/ Massey 1526 or kubota b2920 #7  
Thanks my first tractor purchase and I don't want to buy something I regret. I have lurked the boards here for a while and have found a common theme of don't buy something thats not powerful enough. My worry is buying too big, a bull in a china shop, the Massey being too big and heavy to go into the woods

I use my LS (which is quite a bit larger than either of the two you're considering) in the woods a lot....pulled many cords of firewood out this past winter (tons of dead Ash here). I haven't had a problem getting around, and between trees etc. There will always some situations where it gets tight, but you can usually work around those. Really, the only thing I've done was build a very compact counterweight, because I was using a box blade that would sometimes be too big when backing up, or working closely around a tree.

On the flip side, there a quite a few situations where power is at a premium, and you can rarely work around those....either you can lift it, or you can't. Unless you have a fixed requirement, like a barn door, or horse stall, that you have to be able to fit through, I don't think you gain a whole lot by going with a smaller tractor.

If budget issues factor in, I'd point out that you can buy a lot more capability for about that same amount of money, by looking at other brands. My LS was only $21,500, and a similar Kioti was only $1K more (obviously no MMM on either). You could probably do something like a larger tractor (something like a CK35), and a quality zero turn mower, and wind up with the best of both worlds for around the same price....a great mower, and tons of tractor power.....just a thought.

/ Massey 1526 or kubota b2920 #8  
Old thread, but just for reference......I had my heart set on a Massey 1526. They are about the same size as the Kubota B. I ended up with a Kubota B2620 for these reasons, even though I love Massey's:

Massey dealers were too far and the closest one involved getting hassled at the border every time I would need to go to the dealer.
My local Kubota dealer beat all the Michigan prices I got, and that was even without haggling. Was the first number he threw at me. Also cheaper than the LS I was looking at.
I wanted a mm mower, and the Kubota is a drive over and very simple. No pulling decks in and out.
The Kubota has a built in loader joystick which I prefer, being used to heavy equipment.

I do prefer the Massey's side by side hydro pedals though. The Kubota has steering brakes, but they are almost impossible to use, being on the same side as the hydro pedals.