Best tractor to get to mow under trees

/ Best tractor to get to mow under trees #1  

andyjackson26

Need your help and advice. I have about 40 acres of pasture that I cut using a Kubota 9540 with a cab. I have approx. 20 post oak trees that all have a wide, low canopy that will not allow me to cut under with my larger tractor. I need to get a smaller tractor that I can cut under these trees and without breaking the bank. So far, we've been looking at the small John Deere riding mowers (100 series and the x300 series). Any advice on what best to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

/ Best tractor to get to mow under trees #2  
A second hand X700 series Deere, a used Kubota BX, with folded ROPS, any of these would be outstanding. Of course, there's always a Zero turn.

/ Best tractor to get to mow under trees #3  
I origionally bought my Massey to to replace my Husvqarna garden tractor but forgot about two thinks, tractor length, ROPS and weight and slope mowing.

I found it better to keep my gardent tractor for mowing for now. Even just bought the three bin bagger for it last week.

/ Best tractor to get to mow under trees #4  
bp fick said:
A second hand X700 series Deere, a used Kubota BX, with folded ROPS, any of these would be outstanding. Of course, there's always a Zero turn.

Yes, go with a ZTR. Consumer models don't have a ROPS so you'll be able to get very close to the trees.

/ Best tractor to get to mow under trees #5  
Just bite the bullet and get the Z.

I shopped extensively for all my equipment. If you want to mow some grass and do it efficiently. Buy a machine that does it efficiently.

Make sure you spend the extra for the commercial equipment.

If funding is limited, buy used commercial. Anything under 3K hours is still in usable condition.

/ Best tractor to get to mow under trees #6  
Mate , what about a quad bike pulling a motorised slasher , think of the fun when you are not mowing :thumbsup:

/ Best tractor to get to mow under trees #7  
I like my Z turn for the finished lawn but if I had 20 trees spread out on 40 acres I would never consider using it. Are the trees all in one area and what is the terrain like?

MarkV

/ Best tractor to get to mow under trees #8  
Need your help and advice. I have about 40 acres of pasture that I cut using a Kubota 9540 with a cab. I have approx. 20 post oak trees that all have a wide, low canopy that will not allow me to cut under with my larger tractor.

To each his own, but I would use a pole saw to remove enough canopy to allow tractor access.

Steve

/ Best tractor to get to mow under trees #9  
Would a sickle-bar mower help you get closer?

/ Best tractor to get to mow under trees #10  
smstonypoint said:
To each his own, but I would use a pole saw to remove enough canopy to allow tractor access.

Steve

I agree. I have the same issue. Its a almost yearly process till the trees mature. When I bought my property, the oaks were 10-15 tall. Now they are 40'ish tall with a wide canopy. But, since I have kept up on the pruning - its not too bad a job to take the next row of limbs off every winter. The plus side - beautiful stately trees with grass growing under that I can brush hog, without getting b!**ch slapped by low hanging branches!!

But, to answer your question, I like the ATV pulling a small powered cutter.