Tractor or zero turn

/ Tractor or zero turn #1  

jim pass

Tractor
do not own one
I have 10 cleared acres to mow, Can I mow it with a zero turn or do I need a tractor with a finishing mower

/ Tractor or zero turn
I have 10 cleared acres to mow, Can I cut it with a zero turn or do I need a tractor and finishing mower

/ Tractor or zero turn #4  
Zero turn will cut faster but costs a lot for something that only cuts grass. If you have other uses for a tractor I would say put the money you would be spending on a ZTM towards a tractor with rear finish mower, or even a large gang mower. The gang/reel mower would work well as long as you keep up with it and it's just grasses, nothing too heavy. Another benefit of the gang/reel mower is that it does not require any PTO use, may save on fuel cost. Of course if there are enough trees a ZTM would be the way to go, but I believe you said it was cleared. ZTM's are cool, but tractors rule!

/ Tractor or zero turn #5  
I agree that the tractor/finish mower route gives you more versatility. I would add that ZTRs can present problems on sloping terrain, but are the cat's meow if you have many obstacles (e.g., trees, flower beds, etc.) and your terrain is suitable.

Steve

/ Tractor or zero turn #6  
Our renters have a couple of commercial grade John Deere zero turn mowers and they will out mow any of our tractors, but I am sure they are pretty expensive.

/ Tractor or zero turn #7  
I looked into a good ZTM last year and as I recall they were right around $7-10k. Ouch! :eek:

/ Tractor or zero turn #8  
I'm another vote for Tractor.

I had a John Deere 997d ZTM for a week from the dealer while I was making this very decision. 72" 7-Iron mower deck, awesome finish, mowed the grass like a fat kid eats cake, BUT I could barely walk the next day. The drawback is because they can go fast, you tend to go fast, and the suspension seats are fair and admittedly maybe better since I last tested one, but when push comes to shove, the versatility of a tractor trumps the ZTM in my opinion.

If you want to get it done in a hurry, add an 84 or 90" Rear Finish Mower to your new tractor....

/ Tractor or zero turn #9  
Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma. Ditto on what others have said. You should be able to find a good used diesel compact tractor and mower for less than a ZTM that will handle the job. For your mowing area anything less than a commercial grade ZTM with 60 or 72 inch cut shouldn't even be considered.

Ken

Last edited:
   / Tractor or zero turn #10  
How short and how often do you want to cut ten acres? If you use the zero turn, then you need to be cutting it once a week or it will get too tall and you won't be able to cut it. If you want to cut once or twice a month, get the tractor. If you don't mind it getting a little thick or tall, go with the tractor. If you ground isn't nice and smooth, go with the tractor. If you are in a hurry and you can afford more HP, and then a bigger mower, go with the tractor.

Ten acres is quite a bit of land to mow. Especially if you want it t be manicured. I do a few acres with my zero turn, and it does an amazing job, but if I miss a week, then it's a nightmare to get through it again with the zero turn.

Eddie