Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor?

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
Here is my situation:
My wife and I have our first kid on the way, we are trying to save to build a new house on our 31 acres in NH, and I'm going to start clearing the land this spring/summer/fall.
I don't want another payment because it will affect my credit, my current tractor is paid off, and I like no debt, however, I keep thinking my tractor is too light duty for what I tend to do with it.
I start reading through this forum and it makes me think I need some beast of a tractor to work on my land. I keep thinking I need to upgrade to something with about 50-60 PTO hp, a higher 3pt hitch rating, and considerably more FEL lift capacity.

I need to just be happy with the setup I have, and work within it's limits, and rent out the stuff I can't handle. However, I have this 'longing' for a nice big cab tractor that can handle everything I throw at it. (or at least 95% of what I throw at it)

Please explain to me that I'm thinking like a moron and I don't NEED a bigger tractor!

I just started reading the recent thread "Anyone regret having a cab tractor" and it reminds me how much I'd like to have a cab tractor. However, I think until I get my woods cleared out a little it's a better idea to hold off, but that doesn't stop me from really wanting a larger cab tractor :laughing:

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #2  
Want > Need

:)

Bruce

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #3  
No one NEED another tractor. i got my new one simply cause i dont have any bills or kids to support. if i did i would have stuck with my old tractor.

My best advice to anyone is..save up spare cash in a slush fund until you have enough cash to buy the new items you want. You take out a mortgage on a house cause no one has enough cash to buy a house. But to take out a loan (mortgage) to buy a truck or a tractor is nutz. 0% is never really 0%...theres always a catch involved. I made my best offer on my tractor..then came with cash and got a better deal. plus i have no payments hanging over my head.

family and home first
toys and tools second
fun always runs last

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #4  
If it were me, I would balance the cost of what you want as a replacment vs. the actual amount of time you would use it to prepare the property. You may be able to hire much of the heavy work you want to do for much less than your cost to trade up. Many variables...like how long do you plan to live on the property, what do you plan to do once you are settled, can you actually work the cost of a new and bigger tractor into your finances without screwing up your budget?

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #5  
Piston - I have a score to settle with you. One thing lead to another and your grapple picture thread caused me to buy a brand new tractor. So, if I can get you to buy a cab tractor we'll be even.

Close your eyes...relax.....think about sitting in that cab in the middle of July....bugs everywhere....swealtering heat.....but you don't care because you have the ac cranked...The kids are running around like they're nuts, mrs. piston is screaming at them...but all you hear is the purr of those 60 horses and maybe some tunes on the radio....you spend the whole day in the tractor...never left the comfort of the cab....late in the afternoon a downpour comes out of nowhere but who really cares...You just keep a tractoring away...You haven't broken a sweat all day. All you can think about is how you should have gotten a 60hp cab tractor years ago.........

Last edited:
   / Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #6  
Please explain to me that I'm thinking like a moron and I don't NEED a bigger tractor!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Wrong forum to be asking that on.

I suggest you subscribe to some "money management" forum

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #7  

Wrong forum to be asking that on.

I suggest you subscribe to some "money management" forum

I think that might not work out to good for many of us. :eek:

Piston, Kubotas have great resale and you have made other improvements on the tractor. :thumbsup: How much would it really cost you once you sold your current tractor? You don't have to go back with another Kubota.

I have known many people that when looking back they either could have kept something that they had sold because they thought that they needed to or they could have bought something that sure would have made their life nicer but didn't because at the time they thought that they couldn't afford it. But looking back they actually would have been able too.

It's a tough decision, A LOT of variables to consider.

Oh yeah, we were suppose to talk you out of getting that M7040, or Kioti 6010C, so just forget about the whole deal, your Kubota will keep on doing what needs to be done long after your kids are all grown and gone. It will just take you a little longer. :mur:

Last edited:
   / Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #8  
Want > Need

:)

Bruce

As soon as you have (WANT) 2 Tractors you will begin to realize which one you can live without. If you can't live without either one then you (NEED) 2 Tractors. :dance1:

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #9  
I need to just be happy with the setup I have, and work within it's limits, and rent out the stuff I can't handle.

This is my vote, based on the fact that you have a full-size TLB.

I'll also add, no matter how big of a tractor you have, seems like there are plenty of jobs that it is still too small for. We have a M9540 at the farm, sometimes even it is too small leaving us yearning for a track loader. It's a never ending cycle, lol. Just be happy with what you have...

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #10  
My rule is I never borrow money for toys (tractor, atv, shop, etc). I want a bigger tractor one day but it will be a cash purchase. My little tractor will do anything a bigger tractor will do given a little time. Also remember kids are money pits. It is amazing how disposable income disappears when kids come along.