Buying Advice zero turn mower buying

/ zero turn mower buying #1  

hebeb394

Tractor
old honda 4200 series riding tractor, 2008 cub cadet 50" 22 hp kawasaki
Im thinking about getting a troy built rzt 50" 25 hp Kohler and was wondering about the overall value is and if it will last? Will be cutting mostly flat only grass surfaces with a couple trees. I don't have any rough terrain so the mower wouldn't be put through he'll and back lol trying to stay under 3 grand and still get a zero turn radius with atleast 50" cut so if any suggestions will greatly be appreciated... thanks

/ zero turn mower buying #2  
I have had bad luck out of the last two Kohler engines I have had. This might be just me, but I take pretty good care of my equipment.

/ zero turn mower buying #3  
Oldtoyboyd, what series Kohlers were they? I have a 18hp Command on a Cub GT that has been the best thing about the tractor. Of course I have to admit I only had about 250 hours on it before I got fed up with the rest of the machine.

The Magnum I had in a previous machine destroyed itself when the composite cam gear disintegrated around 2500 hours.

Of course, the old single thumper K-series still starts today.

/ zero turn mower buying #4  
I had a couple of Kohler Command engines 15 years ago that were awesome. I had a 22hp and a 25hp Kohler within the last 5 years that fell apart with good routine maintenance done on both.

/ zero turn mower buying #5  
Anything, late model, that says Troybuilt is made my MDT (Modern Tool and Die) and is junk. Use for a time and throw away.

You're not going to get quality until you hit the $5K-$6K range in ZTR's (New) and $3K-$4K used. (Under 2-3K hours).

All the motor manufacturers build junk and they build quality.

In short, quality costs
How much quality can you afford?

/ zero turn mower buying #6  
i have exactly what you are looking at. over 200 hours so far and it used pretty harshly at times. no real issues with. the motor has been excellent i am thinking of getting a 60" more commercial oriented mower next year (want a power bagger). i did get mine when lowes was clearing them out got it 50% off :). if you dont want to spend over 3k i dont think it is a bad choice at all

/ zero turn mower buying #7  
Along the lines of what Max said, OEM's "design to cost". Good example back in the '70's or 80's forget which (brainfart), One could compare Ford Pintos to Cadillac Sedan DeVilles. One cost $3k, the other $20k. Both were designed to cost; i.e. they were designed with the selling price in mind. Obviously you can't put a gold plated widget in the Pinto, but that is not the market the Pinto was designed to satisfy.

I like, use and have used Kohler whenever I can. Currently have 3 Command engines, all singles up thru 20 hp. I also have a BS engine (22 HP V) that is built for the commercial market. It is a far cry from the engine that you get on your 20" push more at the local save-a-dollar store.

I'm not pushing any brand but currently have 2 0Ts and 3 regulars. The 0Ts were hard for me to get used to initially, but now I use the little 44" Hustler with an 18 V Honda the most. It's just handy; I have the front deck to carry things, and frontal visibility is excellent. I put bar lug tires on it as I mow pool (pond) banks and other things where I need traction. I use the larger one for mowing larger areas and trimming the fence line around the pastures; put bar lug tires on it also. It is a 52" and having the wider deck gives me room outside the tires to get under fences.

I use Full syn oil only, and change oil once per year, or if it gets dirty which usually doesn't happen....with syn. Have had zero problems with any of these machines, except a little Scotts with the 15.5 K and wore the deck out on it. Had others so just parked it; course it was pushing over 10 yrs of usage. Engine/tranny are still in excellent shape.

HTH,
Mark