Buying Advice are gear tractors quieter?

/ are gear tractors quieter? #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
Hydro tractors seem to phase out around JD's 66hp, and then it's powershuttle or CVT. I'm wondering if anyone has compared a similar cab tractor's noise level with a gear trans vs. hydro. Do all those whiny noises add up?
My needs are in the 50-100 hp range, and while the convenience and ease of operation of the hydro is a real plus for me, I'm wondering if after four hours of field mowing would there be any difference in noise level, real or perceived?
Are there fuel consumption differences? thanks

/ are gear tractors quieter? #2  
I suppose it depend on the cab, but on my LS cab and my brother in laws New Holland, outside noise is limited. You have to open the cab door to hear what someone is yelling at you. Tractor noise if very isolated although you can still hear it,just not annoying. I have not had a decibal meter to check the difference but it is substantially quieter than open station. Almost no exhaust noise is noticeable. My tractor is gear and his is hydro.

/ are gear tractors quieter?
thanks. It's when the exhaust noise is so muted, that I wonder if the hydro noises intrude. I watched the JD comparison video using a noise meter and of course the JD was quieter, actually by a lot at rated speed, but the tractor was sitting in idle. I'd like some feedback on whiny noises when the thing is under load, really being used.

I test drove the Kioti 50 with a cab, and was amazed how loud it was in the cab, really surprised too. BUT, we were under a metal roof at a fair ground and I think there was some booming going on. But as soon as I started up the Kioti, my first thought was headphones. Not what I want. Boy that was a nice tractor though. Noise can be very tiring, at least for me, and I don't like earplugs or phones, unless I have to, and often have to with the equipment I have now. Just wondering if i can finally take everything off my head, put a little vintage Alabama on the stereo and actually hear the music.

I'm not likely to do a lot of loader work, so a powershuttle or similar would be just fine. It seems the ultimate would be the Case IH CVT setup, which is now going into smaller tractors. But I bet that has a serious price tag for it, and one of the things I've always admired about tractors is their simplicity and durability. Not so simple any more, but a gear tractor with a good operator ought to last a very, very long time.

On YouTube there's some company hawking used tractors that always has a giant custom truck in the background and the tractors are all put through the same pace. He revs the crap out of it, usually pops the clutch and lurches forward, not a soft touch for sure as he wheels through the demo.
Now this is a guy who should drive a hydro for the sake of the tractor, though I'm sure one can abuse anything if they try hard enough.

My Gravely garden tractor is all gear, and it sings a symphony of different gear noises depending upon which direction it's going in, nothing objectionable, just sort of talking to me. But it's noise, and noise is cumulative, added to the exhaust, and the shaft drive mower, and there is no way I can drive the Gravely for very long without plugging my ears. Really don't want to have to do that if I spend 50K on a new tractor.
My Case IH 255/Mitsu has no gear/trans noise at all.

I'm going to guess that the total noise level isn't much different between hydro and gear, but that the sound may be different. Some noises you live with and some annoy you constantly. Want to avoid the latter.

Appreciate all advice.

/ are gear tractors quieter? #4  
I ware ear protection using the JD CUT (no cab), and the eHydro has a noticeable whine. Gears should be quieter, but the exhaust noise from a poppin Johnny is what damaged my hearing decades ago. We didn't know any better back in the 60's.

/ are gear tractors quieter? #5  
daugen said:
thanks. It's when the exhaust noise is so muted, that I wonder if the hydro noises intrude. I watched the JD comparison video using a noise meter and of course the JD was quieter, actually by a lot at rated speed, but the tractor was sitting in idle. I'd like some feedback on whiny noises when the thing is under load, really being used.

I test drove the Kioti 50 with a cab, and was amazed how loud it was in the cab, really surprised too. BUT, we were under a metal roof at a fair ground and I think there was some booming going on. But as soon as I started up the Kioti, my first thought was headphones. Not what I want. Boy that was a nice tractor though. Noise can be very tiring, at least for me, and I don't like earplugs or phones, unless I have to, and often have to with the equipment I have now. Just wondering if i can finally take everything off my head, put a little vintage Alabama on the stereo and actually hear the music.

I'm not likely to do a lot of loader work, so a powershuttle or similar would be just fine. It seems the ultimate would be the Case IH CVT setup, which is now going into smaller tractors. But I bet that has a serious price tag for it, and one of the things I've always admired about tractors is their simplicity and durability. Not so simple any more, but a gear tractor with a good operator ought to last a very, very long time.

On YouTube there's some company hawking used tractors that always has a giant custom truck in the background and the tractors are all put through the same pace. He revs the crap out of it, usually pops the clutch and lurches forward, not a soft touch for sure as he wheels through the demo.
Now this is a guy who should drive a hydro for the sake of the tractor, though I'm sure one can abuse anything if they try hard enough.

My Gravely garden tractor is all gear, and it sings a symphony of different gear noises depending upon which direction it's going in, nothing objectionable, just sort of talking to me. But it's noise, and noise is cumulative, added to the exhaust, and the shaft drive mower, and there is no way I can drive the Gravely for very long without plugging my ears. Really don't want to have to do that if I spend 50K on a new tractor.
My Case IH 255/Mitsu has no gear/trans noise at all.

I'm going to guess that the total noise level isn't much different between hydro and gear, but that the sound may be different. Some noises you live with and some annoy you constantly. Want to avoid the latter.

Appreciate all advice.

Yeah EbayLucky is who you're referring to. I wouldn't buy jack squat from him either the way they treat equipment. It might not be junk but who knows how it was treated once he or his staff got ahold of it. He will never sell me a thing, his YouTube videos do him more harm then good because anyone worth a lick of sense sees how he treats equipment and won't pay their hard earned money for his junk.

/ are gear tractors quieter? #6  
The short answer is yes. The HST and Turbocharger will add considerable noise, however, it is a tradeoff that you either think is necessary or not dependent upon your use. It you are going with more than 50HP on a new tractor most likely it will be turbocharged due to environmental regulations. If you are mowing in tight areas or using a loader the HST is a huge plus.

/ are gear tractors quieter? #7  
Yeah EbayLucky is who you're referring to. I wouldn't buy jack squat from him either the way they treat equipment. It might not be junk but who knows how it was treated once he or his staff got ahold of it. He will never sell me a thing, his YouTube videos do him more harm then good because anyone worth a lick of sense sees how he treats equipment and won't pay their hard earned money for his junk.

Hey, I just watched come of EbayLucky's vids - you're right, that dude is brutal with the equipment.
Start it up, full throttle. Drive around fast in circles, run the hydraulics stop to stop in a abusive manner. Then abruptly shut the machine off, there's no reason to be like that. What a fool...

/ are gear tractors quieter?
The HST and Turbocharger will add considerable noise

Once upon a time I owned a 46 Bertram with two 8V71TI's, each with twin turbos and as most of you know, the DD design already incorporated a "blower". So man what a chorus to pick through when down in the engine room trying to figure out if the blower rattle at low idle is just an idle adjustment or something about to grenade on me. But a turbo DD is a quiet puppy compared to some non-turboed DD's that really bark with "straight pipes". The turbos quiet down the exhaust, but of course add their own whine. The "glass packs" on my boat were almost seven feet long, and there was still a lot of noise. But it was all good. My neighbor had I believe 8V53's or maybe 6's..., but natural, and jeez was that thing loud. Particularly under a metal shed, kinda like a tractor shed but for boats.

So some noise, a nice exhaust noise I suppose, is one of those sounds I wouldn't mind hearing, and quiet down the rest. What worries me is not being able to hear something that's getting unhappy, say a rotational grinding noise that clearly should not be there, and it's just muffled by Soundown's finest. They can't put sensors and idiot lights on everything.

So here I'm wondering how to get a quieter tractor, and just thinking this through, maybe not too quiet. Or perhaps like Porsche and others they can pipe in or even synthesize the right machine or exhaust noise into the sealed cabin. I'd like a 5.0 Mustang noise please for rpm increases, then a muffled big block anything for the cruise around the fields...:thumbsup: Ok, and for the diesel drivers, say a nice Cat 3208 or 3412 at full bore... but I surely digress, and not trying to stir up anything with brands here. But the hush technology of cars is already filtering to tractor cabs, and I wonder when the super deluxe cabs will look like yacht helms.

I sold the boat five years ago after driving it to Florida and the Bahamas, and when out in the true blue ocean, it was just my wife and I and the adequacy of my maintenance on an old boat that got us back into port each night. It was never if it would break, it was just a matter of when.
Tractors are thankfully oh so much more reliable. And if one throws money in the ground instead of the ocean, at least something might grow...:)

/ are gear tractors quieter? #9  
Both of mine are open station. The TC40DA with HST does have a whine, you can hear it over the motor at low rpm and speeds, such as cleaning out stalls. The Boomer 8N with CVT does not have any noise. I wear hearing protector headphones with music when mowing, tilling or working for long periods so I don't hear any noise from either tractor.

/ are gear tractors quieter? #10  
I am sure the hydros produce more noise since most gear trannies are pretty quiet. In the 4520 cab everything is quiet enough not to bother me if I am working it all day.

Those DD 71's were 2 cycle engines and with or without turbo's could be noisy for sure. I remember some of them were very quiet though with good exhaust systems and well quieted engine rooms, you could barely hear them pull away from the dock. Others such as the crewboats with straight pipes and hopped up engines were god awful loud.