New Holland T4030 VS Kubota M7040

/ New Holland T4030 VS Kubota M7040 #1  

jmwilson

Bronze Member

I am going to post this in the NH section cause I'm a NH or Ford guy. I looked at a T4030 4X4 ROPS with 16X16 power shuttle, duel remotes, and without a loader. The price was $19,800 plus tax.
Today I looked at a Kubota M7040 4X4 with 8x8 power shuttle, duel remotes, and without a loader. The price was $18,200.
The front tires on the Kubota were 9.5x24R. I cannot remember the front tire size on the NH, but they seemed to be much larger. Does anyone know the front tire size on the NH.
One thing I noticed on the Kubota was the 3 pt link adjuster bar pin size was a different size. On the NH the pins are 7/8 I believe. This looks like an inconvenience with two sizes on the Kubota
One thing, the NH dealer is a 90 minute drive one way while the Kubota dealer is local.
I lost the NH booklet, so does anyone know the front tire size?
Any advice on the two tractors would be appreciated.

Mike

/ New Holland T4030 VS Kubota M7040 #2  
the tire size depends on what the dealer ordered. There are several options.

you'll find most of those on NewHolland.com

/ New Holland T4030 VS Kubota M7040
I made a fatal error on the price. The NH is $29,800 and the Kubota is $28,600. I did a little research on the front tire size. The NH has 12.4R 20 are 12.6 wide and 40.9 tall. The Kubota has 9.5-24 r1 are 9.5 (butcher knife) wide and 41.3 tall. I thought the NH front tires looked bigger and I like that. I think the only other options on tires I have are turf tires, and that's out.

What I am going to do mostly with the tractor is bushoging three of my pond levies. I plan on buying a new 326 Bush Hog, and a used 8' finish mower. Later, I will get a front-end loader.

I probably do not need a 70 HP tractor, but I just don't want to be underpowered.

Thanks for any advice you guys may give me.

Mike

/ New Holland T4030 VS Kubota M7040 #4  
Why the big concern over front tire size? Larger, especially wider, tires are not always a benefit. If you don't have enough weight, the bigger tires spread out the load and reduce your traction. I noticed you said you are not getting a loader initially. I'd opt for smaller, but it doesn't seem either choice is that much difference.

On a related note, (and sorry since you really didn't ask)if it were me, for what you describe your intended use, I would not buy a gear/shuttle tranny and opt instead for a hydro. There does not appear to be any reason for 70 hp for what you note you will be pulling. You could put a 8 ft mower on a 35 hp tractor. I'd recommend something in the 40-45 hp range! Put the extra cash to the loader immediately and add in a couple of rear remotes.

Last edited:
On the NH wide tires, I will be doing some bush hogging in wet boggy areas. I could probably get by with a NH T4020 or L4740. The Kubota 40 PTO HP sounds like I would be wanting more. If I have time, I will post some photos of what I will be doing.

A hydrostatic transmission is out of the question. I have one and I hate it. I want it to be in gear or out of gear.

Thanks for the reply djradz.

/ New Holland T4030 VS Kubota M7040 #6  

. . . I looked at a T4030 4X4 ROPS with 16X16 power shuttle, duel remotes, and without a loader. . .
Today I looked at a Kubota M7040 4X4 with 8x8 power shuttle, duel remotes, and without a loader. . .
One thing, the NH dealer is a 90 minute drive one way while the Kubota dealer is local.
Mike

Mike,
I was in exactly the same position about 3 or 4 years ago. Both are good machines, but they are not the same. I bought the NH TN70A. (the T4030 is just the new model number for the same tractor) Here, in my opinion, are the major differences:
1. Weight. That will make a HUGE difference when working with a loader or pulling ground engaging equipment. (plow, disc, etc) Horsepower is no good if you can't use it. My NH will pick up a 5x6' roll of hay and load it on a trailer. My cousin had to put water in the tires of his M9540 to lift the same bales.
2. The transmission matters. Having those extra gears gives you a bunch more options. Varying your ground speed will come in handy when you're cutting grass.

My NH has almost 400 hours on it, and it's never even been back to the dealer for warranty work. Zero problems.

/ New Holland T4030 VS Kubota M7040 #7  
I have a M7040 and our place is pretty wet. It makes less of a track than my old Ford 4630. I think the lighter weight helps that some but hurts in pulling heavy implements. I handle rounds bales all the time, gets a little light in the rear with 5x6 bales on the front.

My thoughts are buy what your comfortable with and can get parts for nearby. I bought a off brand mower and its a hassle getting anything for it. You got to look years down the road.

I first started out with a Ford 6610 2WD. I used this to clear about 30 or so acres where the ponds are now. This estate land will be divided and I will own about 62 acres. I took some photos of what I will be using the tractor for. Once I get all the trees and too large to bush hog bushes cleared, a 40 HP tractor will probably do everything I need. The 6610 tractor I had was nice. Now, I know the NH T4030 way out classes the 6610.
The first two photos in the below link are wet areas, and everything is dry.
Thanks for the comments guys

Back 40 pictures by jmwilson - Photobucket

A couple of weeks ago I went to a John Deer dealer, and I looked at their tractors. I looked at a 5083E and man was that a nice tractor. This tractor had a cab and it was priced at 40,500. I later call the salesman, and I asked him for a price on a 5065m without a cab and loader for 35,600. This tractor was priced with 16F/16R PowrReverser Transmission, Deluxe Isolated Open Operator Station, duel remotes, and rear fender mounted 3 point hitch switches. I can see where this switch will come in handy.

This is interesting

Kubota M7040 pump capacity 11GPM- 3 point lift capacity 3307 pounds - weight 4675
John Deere 5065M pump capacity 20.9 GPM - 3 point lift capacity 3595 – weight 6400
JD optional 3 point lift capacity 4498 ?