Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4410

Default Old Ford rusting away

I Have a Ford 4000 LCG that is basically rusting away. It did run but has not been used for 5 or 6 years. I am not sure of the year, maybe early 70s or so. It has double turf tires in the back ....I have some one interested in buying and so far not willing to give me an specific offer.

What should I be asking here, any ideas?

Tractor
    fords

Default Re: Old Ford rusting away

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Syracuse View Post
    I Have a Ford 4000 LCG that is basically rusting away. It did run but has not been used for 5 or 6 years. I am not sure of the year, maybe early 70s or so. It has double turf tires in the back ....I have some one interested in buying and so far not willing to give me an specific offer.

is it 3 or 4cyl does it have the solid front axle or a swept back front axle does it have 28 in back rims or 24's or 16's does it have short spindles or the regular ones and is it goes or diesel and what shape is it in will need to know all this before we can decide a far price a pic would help

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4410

Here are some pictures. I don't know much about the questions you asked, hopefully the pictures will help. Thanks for looking and your advice. I am thinking 500-800 for it, but I really don't know! It is a gas engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-4053591689-jpg   -image-3002869748-jpg   -image-3478869765-jpg   -image-2090494634-jpg  

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Syracuse View Post

That "LCG" means "low center of gravity". And with those dual rear wheels to widen the wheel track, I'd say that tractor probably was used to mow steeply sloped hills and or ditches. See if you can find a model number and serial number for this tractor so we can determine the type of engine, transmission, etc. Or take a closeup photo of the dashboard and of the gear shifter(s) so we can see the instruments and controls, which will help a lot.

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Oops, I see you've already posted a photo of the instrument cluster. Another showing the gear shifters would help.

Tractor
    1700 4wheel drive, Yazoo/Kees Max2 Zero Turn

Select-o-speed, wasn't that a 10 speed automatic with 2 reverses

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by flusher View Post
    Oops, I see you've already posted a photo of the instrument cluster. Another showing the gear shifters would help.
    SOS shifter shown in photo #2.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4410

Quote Originally Posted by flusher

That "LCG" means "low center of gravity". And with those dual rear wheels to widen the wheel track, I'd say that tractor probably was used to mow steeply sloped hills and or ditches. See if you can find a model number and serial number for this tractor so we can determine the type of engine, transmission, etc. Or take a closeup photo of the dashboard and of the gear shifter(s) so we can see the instruments and controls, which will help a lot.
    Yes it was used to mow horse pastures with a flail mower on my parents farm. It is quite hilly and that little tractor was a nice work horse. I believe it had a previous life as a highway mower.

I looked for a model number or serial number but could not find it. I really don't have too much more information to give on it. I am not well versed in " tractor speak". I just bought a John Deere 4410 with hydrostatic transmission to use now. It is much easier to use and much more reliable.

I'm just looking for a ballpark number.....1000 too much? 500 too little?

Thanks again, sorry I can't help with the questions!

Tractor
    Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920

That's about where you want to be. Since it's been sitting and you have someone who wants it....better jump on it. It's just going to cost more to get it to where someone can use it. You obviously have no interest in it.
    If it runs, it may be worth 1500 or more depending on how many hours it has.

Tractor
    JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158

If you don't want to put the time into getting it running then at least see if you can turn the crankshaft over by hand so you'll know if its frozen up.

If you can't start it that is the first question a buyer will ask anyway so might as well be prepared to answer it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast