Comparison Tractor / Front Mount / ZTR - Narrowing My Options

/ Tractor / Front Mount / ZTR - Narrowing My Options #1  

mootpoint

Tractor
Searching
Hello,

This is my first post here. I have been reading and searching the forums for a couple of weeks now, but decided to register today...

A little background:

I know my way around tractors/mowers etc and mowed most all of my life. My wife and I just purchased a new home that has a significant amount of "lawn" to tend to - approximately 7 acres. I am linking some photos to give you and idea of the lay of the land. (My land will also include the field beyond the fence).

6987418814_1f42ecab24_b.jpg

7133500543_81b0c28aca_b.jpg

I have a budget of about $15,000 US or less. I will probably buy lightly used or demo unit if that is at all possible.

My problem is that I don't know what makes/models should be on my proverbial short list and what I should avoid like the plague. Some of the ones that interest me; at least initially, are:

Kubota B3200 HSE (with 72" mowing deck & finish mower for the back field (maybe?))
Kubota ZD331 (with 72" mowing deck)
Grasshopper 930D (with 72" mowing deck)
Scag Turf Tiger (with 72" mowing deck)
Most all John Deere tractors...

I like the idea of the added versatility of having a tractor. I live in an area where we do get some occasional snow, but seeding, fertilizing, etc would be much easier with a tractor and/or implements.

I will get a much better idea of what I want in a machine once we take possession of the house and I actually mow the yard a few times. I will use my Grandfathers Bush Hog ZTR until I make a purchase.

At any rate, do any of you have any suggestions/input?

/ Tractor / Front Mount / ZTR - Narrowing My Options #2  
Welcome! There is another thread active on this very same topic.

/ Tractor / Front Mount / ZTR - Narrowing My Options #3  
7 acres, minimal trees, I'd vote for a tractor with an 84" rear finishing mower. 25+ PTO HP minimum I'd say for an 84". I'm running 25 PTO HP with a 72" Farm King and would step up to 84" if the right used mower was available for trade.

/ Tractor / Front Mount / ZTR - Narrowing My Options #4  
7 acres seems like a lot but really it doesnt take long at all to mow that when you have long open areas like in your photo. I mow about 5 acres of lawn with lots of trees and it take me about 3 hours with a zero turn mower or about 5 with my tractor type mower (I have both + tractor with bushhog) I think I would go with something like a Kubota 2620 with belly mower but only because I have trouble looking behind me due to some neck problems. The belly mowers create some ground clearance issue with only about 8" of deck clearance so if you can live with that, a belly mower on a 2620 or 2920 would be somewhat in your range. The tractor would be about 14-15K and add the mower. IF you could swing that then NEW would be the best option. You are going to find that in JD & Kubota in particular, used 2-3 year old tractors in the 200-400 hour range are almost new priced and with the 0% financing on new, it pays to just buy new unless you have the cash to outlay.
A good commercial grade zero turn with diesel engine is going to cost you about the same as a small tractor with mower. You can get cheaper ZTR mowers with gas engines but they are not going to last like a commercial quality one will.

/ Tractor / Front Mount / ZTR - Narrowing My Options
Would a front mount mower struggle in this terrain? I have heard people mention that they slip (sometimes) if the terrain is not almost flat?

/ Tractor / Front Mount / ZTR - Narrowing My Options #6  
Mow up to one acre around the house with a riding mower, and plant the other 6 in something you can sell, or rent it to a farmer.

Bruce

/ Tractor / Front Mount / ZTR - Narrowing My Options #7  
A Deere x748 GT would do this if the ground is smooth in around 2 hours with a 60" 7 iron deck. You can also get a 3PH, 540 rear pto and a Frontier 3 pt spin spreader for the seeding and fertilizer. Should be able to do this new within your budget. Lots of other attachments you can add as money allows.

/ Tractor / Front Mount / ZTR - Narrowing My Options #8  
Mow up to one acre around the house with a riding mower, and plant the other 6 in something you can sell, or rent it to a farmer.

Bruce
+1

If I had that much ground, you can bet that I would get a tractor capable of working it, and making money for me.

/ Tractor / Front Mount / ZTR - Narrowing My Options
If I wanted to rent this land or farm it I would have said so...

/ Tractor / Front Mount / ZTR - Narrowing My Options #10  
Would a front mount mower struggle in this terrain? I have heard people mention that they slip (sometimes) if the terrain is not almost flat?

A good front mount shouldn't have any trouble with what I have seen in your pictures. They are pretty fast too, around 12 mph top speed if you can stay on it. A good front mount would be a nice choice for a large areas such as you have. I like them but I don't have enough area to justify one.

The x748 has a top speed of 8.5 mph, same as my x749 and as long as I cut it regularly I can run top speed with no problem. I can cut my back lawn in less than an hour with the x749.