My 8n is too small...so is my pocketbook..

/ My 8n is too small...so is my pocketbook.. #1  

neumanda

Tractor
Kubota B3300 SU
Hello Tractorsbynet folks,

I am new to tractors and hobby farming. I have 32 acres of which 7 acres will be utilized for a small hobby orchard. I purchased a 1949 Ford 8n with the intention of utilizing the backblade for snow removal and the brush hog for maintaining the grass under and around my trees.

The long and short of it is, this tractor does not have enough power to navigate my hills and pull the brush hog. The steering makes it very poor for snow removal and I'm in a bit of a quandary. After suffering through a year of the 8n I have come to these forums with a greater understanding of my needs, but no greater pocketbook.

I can reasonably afford a tractor in the 5-7k range.

1) Needs to pull a brush hog up moderate hills.
2) Better steering
3) I would like a granny low so that I could pull a tiller for my garden.
4) A bucket would be nice, but I might be dreaming.
5) A safer PTO system, not being able to shut off that PTO feel dangerous with my little kids around.
6) Reliability, unlike many posters I am not incredibly mechanical though I am getting better.

A Ford 3000 or 4000 looks to me like a good option, but I feel as though I made an poor choice the first time around and would like feedback.

Hopefully I put this in the right forum. Thank you for your time and opinions.

/ My 8n is too small...so is my pocketbook.. #2  
Start looking at tractors made in the late 50's and newer. For instance, my old Case 311 has 12 forward gears and 35 hp. It also has a hand clutch to disengage the engine while letting the PTO operate. No 4wd and attaching a bucket would make it really tough to steer, but tractors of that vintage cover the rest of your needs and are priced less than $3,000 in most areas.

You might be able to move snow with rear chains and a back blade...compromises, adaptability, etc.

/ My 8n is too small...so is my pocketbook.. #3  
Look for a 40hp utility tractor from the 60-80's. Deere, IH, Ford, Massy Ferguson, etc, all had some good offering in that size. Once you get into the mid-60's and up you start to get 'most' of the features of modern tractors. Things like multi-range transmissions, power steering, good hydraulics, live or independent PTO, a lot of the things an 8n is lacking.

/ My 8n is too small...so is my pocketbook.. #4  
Wow this post sure brings back memories, of my first tractor steps over 20 years ago..Yeah started looking at old tractors, but did not bite.. Yeah I wanted something for under 5K... gave up. Bought a new tractor, 12,500 back then. Hopefully you will be able to find a much better tractor from the 60's or 70's for what you want, but I never could find anything that wasn't trashed out. Good Luck

James K0UA

/ My 8n is too small...so is my pocketbook.. #5  
If you like fords an 860 would be a pretty good choice for performance and your check book.

/ My 8n is too small...so is my pocketbook.. #6  
sounds like the 8n you got stuck with was (is) worn out.

it should have power to pull a 5' hog thru 'norma;l' grass and weeds even on an incline. as for steering. yep.. if left unmaintained.. they are either sloppy or tight.

that said.. an 8n is not what I would have tried to start with on that size property. something like an 860/860 would have been a BARE minumim start.. and really.. something nicer like a 4600.

you MIGHT get a 4000 or a 4600 in your price range.

that gets you an 8spd tranny, plent yof hp, very good chance of power steering.

wet brakes, heavy front axle in case you wanted a loader. should swing a 6' heavy mower like no get out while flimbing a hill in 5th gear thru 3' brush...

i'd skip the 3000 series... it has a ld front axle, dry brakes and different rear axle scheme.. and not a HUGE hp bonus to the 8n.. same basic anemic steering steup as an 8n...

soundguy

Hello Tractorsbynet folks,

I am new to tractors and hobby farming. I have 32 acres of which 7 acres will be utilized for a small hobby orchard. I purchased a 1949 Ford 8n with the intention of utilizing the backblade for snow removal and the brush hog for maintaining the grass under and around my trees.

The long and short of it is, this tractor does not have enough power to navigate my hills and pull the brush hog. The steering makes it very poor for snow removal and I'm in a bit of a quandary. After suffering through a year of the 8n I have come to these forums with a greater understanding of my needs, but no greater pocketbook.

I can reasonably afford a tractor in the 5-7k range.

1) Needs to pull a brush hog up moderate hills.
2) Better steering
3) I would like a granny low so that I could pull a tiller for my garden.
4) A bucket would be nice, but I might be dreaming.
5) A safer PTO system, not being able to shut off that PTO feel dangerous with my little kids around.
6) Reliability, unlike many posters I am not incredibly mechanical though I am getting better.

A Ford 3000 or 4000 looks to me like a good option, but I feel as though I made an poor choice the first time around and would like feedback.

Hopefully I put this in the right forum. Thank you for your time and opinions.

/ My 8n is too small...so is my pocketbook.. #7  
If you like fords an 860 would be a pretty good choice for performance and your check book.

that 5spd might run a small tiller.. but he's gonna want an 8spd... and if he wants a laoder.. a hd front axle is his best bet...

/ My 8n is too small...so is my pocketbook.. #8  
Here's an example of what you can do with 5000$

I got this 4600 for 3900$ needed some tlc.

had to do some body work, chase some leaks, change a few gaskets and orings.. do some welding.. paint....found a rops for it.. made a bumper / grill guard, made a topper out of steel and fiber board and heavy rubber matting.. muffler..had to weld up bracking sna mounts on fenders.. front wheel weights.. filled tires with water and eco AF.. old beater mower was free.. but I see beater mowers for a couple hundred all the time.. bought a couple to rehab. this mower required lube, paint, and welding... it's a beast...

all in all I got time and about 5000$ in it or so..

good machine...

soundguy

Attachments

• a33453.jpg
    a33453.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 257
  • a33609.jpg
    a33609.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 204
  • a34219.jpg
    a34219.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 219
  • a34657.jpg
    a34657.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 235
  • a35630.jpg
    a35630.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 226
  • a40012.jpg
    a40012.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 225
  • a40008.jpg
    a40008.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 169
  • a40271.jpg
    a40271.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 326
  • a40273.jpg
    a40273.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 249
  • a40274.jpg
    a40274.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 291
   / My 8n is too small...so is my pocketbook..
This is exactly what I had hoped to read, especially since I had been leaning toward a 3000 series. Soundguy's assessment is a big positive for me especially since I can't describe the frustration I've had with the 8n's steering even after retuning it. Plus, I didn't know about having a big front axle for a bucket in the near future so that is something I will be taking into consideration.

Thanks tractor folks :)

/ My 8n is too small...so is my pocketbook.. #10  
This is exactly what I had hoped to read, especially since I had been leaning toward a 3000 series. Soundguy's assessment is a big positive for me especially since I can't describe the frustration I've had with the 8n's steering even after retuning it. Plus, I didn't know about having a big front axle for a bucket in the near future so that is something I will be taking into consideration.

Thanks tractor folks :)

a 3000 has a similar steering as a 3000 but also have powersteering if you dont need a loader i would rather have a 3000/3600 over the heavier 4000/4600 the pto and rear end cost a whole lot more to work on than a 3000/3600