Tractor
    None yet...

Default JD 3032E or Kubota L3400

Hey everyone, new member to the site but have been reading on it for a long time. Figured I'm ready to buy so I'd ask the questions now, hopefully I can get some good guidance.

We're looking at buying a tractor for about 7 acres of cutting grass and misc stuff around the farm. Mainly the tractor will be used for mowing and tilling at this point, with maybe the addition of a phd when fencing requires. The area is not hilly and not a lot of brush. When thinking of pricing, I'm in California so I think it'll always be more out here.

We're looking at a JD 3032E that we got a price quote for yesterday. Comes with a FEL, box scraper, and rotary mower. The tractor would come with a 3 year warranty, R4 tires, front/back work lights and a canopy. The OTD price was right at $21K.

The other option was the L3400HST which has a little more PTO horsepower and the FEL is able to be taken off, but not sure if we need that option. I know it helps get in tighter spaces but we also have a lawn tractor which can get into tight spots.

I'm basically wondering if it's worth more to get the kubota. I haven't contacted the Kubota dealer for full pricing yet, but just from the website it looks like it will be at least $2K more.

I've read the threads on both of these tractors and it seems like they both have goods/bads. Just wondering what the overall consensus is and what the majority of you would buy if you had to pick between the two.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm looking at hopefully getting one within the next week or two.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

Default Re: JD 3032E or Kubota L3400

Welcome to TBN!

I have a 3038E, which is identical to the 3032E but for a few more hp. Very pleased with it. You're on target about the FEL. I've had tractors with FELs for more than a decade, and never had cause to take it off. And I take my tractors into the forest. You have to be careful, but I find it no problem.

I have a JD bias, admittedly, but kubota makes a good tractor. I looked at Kubotas in the same hp range and thought they were pretty good. I personally had an issue with the "rocker" type pedal for shifting direction and speed. My wife uses the tractor and has joint replacements that make that really difficult. There were some other little personal things as well... But I think Kubota makes a good tractor.

I suggest two things. Drive both tractors and see what little things you like and dislike. Then look hard at the dealers. Dealer responsiveness and service are awfully important to new tractor owners, particularly those without fully-equipped shops.

If you do both those things, you'll probably find your decision has been made for you.

I went with the JD, have 40 hours on it now, and am delighted.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Deere 3032e

The bucket comes off on the 3032e (pretty easily), but not the arms. With the bucket off, the arms don't stick out too far, so it should still work for most things. My 3032e is getting delivered tomorrow.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 5105, IH-Case 255, JD 3038E

I suggest two things. Drive both tractors and see what little things you like and dislike. Then look hard at the dealers. Dealer responsiveness and service are awfully important to new tractor owners, particularly those without fully-equipped shops.

Very good advice. If you are not especially handy and are going to rely on the dealer for repairs, their service department is very important.

DAY
    Tractor
    Ford 4500 TLB, Kubota L2900GST

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil Farm View Post
    Very good advice. If you are not especially handy and are going to rely on the dealer for repairs, their service department is very important.
    I second (third?) that!

Tractor
    None yet...

Thanks for the advice... I was just wanting to make sure that I wasn't going to be missing a lot getting one over the other. Sounds like their both quality tractors.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45SE, 1994 JD LX176

Quote Originally Posted by nirion View Post
    The bucket comes off on the 3032e (pretty easily), but not the arms. With the bucket off, the arms don't stick out too far, so it should still work for most things. My 3032e is getting delivered tomorrow.
    deere does offer a parking stand kit as an attachment for the loader on the 3032E. It allows the loader to be removed from the tractor without tools. HTH.

Tractor
    None yet...

So I think I'm set on the JD... If the dealer works with me a little more on the price I'll be buying this week. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics of my new and first tractor. Thanks for the info.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3940 HST-3

I am sure that the JD will serve you well. As mentioned, you can't really go wrong with either machine. I'd try to get the JD dealer to throw in the stand kit for the loader as part of the deal, it is nice to be able to take the whole loader off for those periods of time where you know you won't be using it.

That said, I leave the leader on when brush hogging, tends to find things buried in the weeds or brush that might cause harm to the BH before the cutter gets a bite of it!
    Kubota Grand L 3940 HST-3 (2012)
    LA 724 Loader with SSQA
    72" QA HD Bucket
    72" QA Std Material Bucket with WR Long Bucket Grapple
    72" Ratchet Rake
    72" Woods Box Scraper
    72" Woods PRD7200 Rear Finish Mower

2011 Ford F250 SD CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Liberty 18' Equipment Trailer

It's not about the color, but what you like in a Tractor that counts!