Comparison 4wd or 2wd Tractor??

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #11  
I would go with the 4wd over the 2wd unless if your using it for field work only. I have an oliver that is 2wd and having front brakes would be nice when you are using it for loader work. Find your self hanging on alot, as the rears will just slide in the grass. It does not take much to get a 2wd stuck. Once your front wheels drop down in to the muck your done. Two winters ago, i had to pull the tractor out every time i put hay in.

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #12  
front axle width and wheel base will affect it too.

I have some 4 wheeled 2 wd tractors that will rotate a rear wheel.. of course they are rowcrop trikes.. but :) :)

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #13  
Now that I have had a 4WD, I would never go back to a 2WD unless it was what I call a play tractor.

If you need 4WD, its needed and if it only bails you out 1 or 2 times a year, it is still worth having.:2cents::)

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #14  
If your fronts are pushing or pulling you on reasonable ground with a front end loader you are way overloading the front end and tractors will not stand up to that abuse for a long time. The weight on the front end should not exceed the weight on the rear even with a full bucket. I have $3000 in final drives to prove this and it is why you see almost every farm with 100 head has either skid steers, or pay loaders and usually both. Even big tractors have light front ends compared to construction equipment. That being said I like the 4x4 for a lot of things and I too am guilty of not enough ballast but be warned it is a double sided sword. I have dug some god aweful ruts with a 2 wd tractor and not gotten stuck. I like the 4x4 real well just not for the front end loader.

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor??
thanks for all the quick replies... sounds like the same rule for compact tractors applies to the bigger tractors...My gut tells me to stick with 4wd because it has definitely been nice to lock in 4wd and not worry about getting stuck when puttin out a roll of hay or just operating in unknown terrain conditions. On the flip side I sure have seen alot of nice 2wd drive cab tractors for sale, but I suppose the versatility of a 4wd might be the reason I see more 2wds than 4wds for sale :). That being said I now have my eye on a couple of used 4wd kubota's an 03' L4330 4wd 700hrs(23,000 usd) and an 04' L3430 4wd 1100hrs(18,000 usd) they are a little smaller than I would like but I think the 4wd will help. Any opinions on which direction I should go? I'll be using the tractor for mowing, ocasional dirt work, puttin hay out, fertilizing, arena and roundpen maint. I might even start square baling a few acres. Im sure you get the idea basically most of the jobs I need to get done on the farm it needs to do it.

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #16  
After 4wd, more horsepower is the typical discussion. Agreed, I'd never, again, have a 2wd tractor, just too many instances where 4wd makes the difference between continuing on and having a problem/difficulty. The right tractor choice keeps a smile on your face and sweat from your brow:thumbsup:

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #17  
This is like the discussion between hst and gears. What do you prefer - there is no right answer - but a few weeks ago my neighbor was loading 5-6 ton spreader loads of lime using a skid steer and doing it faster than I could think about using the tractor loader and so much better. A bit later he was carrying 2 large baleage bales with it and then cleaning out the free stall with the bucket. Quick attach is a must and eaiser to change from a skid steer then a tractor. I'm thinking you would use a skid steer most to the time. Spend $7 - 8 thousand on a decent 2 wheel tractor and the rest on a skid steer. And no I don't own a skid steer but I really like the quick attach on the tractor if I ever get back friom the shop.
Bob

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #18  
thanks for all the quick replies... sounds like the same rule for compact tractors applies to the bigger tractors...My gut tells me to stick with 4wd because it has definitely been nice to lock in 4wd and not worry about getting stuck when puttin out a roll of hay or just operating in unknown terrain conditions. On the flip side I sure have seen alot of nice 2wd drive cab tractors for sale, but I suppose the versatility of a 4wd might be the reason I see more 2wds than 4wds for sale :). That being said I now have my eye on a couple of used 4wd kubota's an 03' L4330 4wd 700hrs(23,000 usd) and an 04' L3430 4wd 1100hrs(18,000 usd) they are a little smaller than I would like but I think the 4wd will help. Any opinions on which direction I should go? I'll be using the tractor for mowing, ocasional dirt work, puttin hay out, fertilizing, arena and roundpen maint. I might even start square baling a few acres. Im sure you get the idea basically most of the jobs I need to get done on the farm it needs to do it.
My neighbor in his 80's has made do with a 2wd 75hp tractor for the last 30years but it stays in the fields or in the barnyard, and he has to work with the conditions. Certain hills and slopes he can't go on unless its dry, etc... So it can be done, but it takes patience and knowledge for what you can do and what you can't today, or ever.
If you don't live on a dry plain, you probably will never regret getting 4wd. For me I'm crawling around on all sorts of slopes on clay and moving dirt so 4wd makes it possible.
Also if you have a Kioti dealer nearby, go check them out, the DK40/45/50 are a heavier tractor and have a strong loader for the money.

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #19  
We use to only have 2wd tractor growing up on farm and made due,now I run 4wd and dont know how anything got done really cause it seems I stay in 4wd but also pulling bigger shredders and doing more loader work. I think it just seems like im not near as worried about doing some kind of work around farm,cause I know I can always use 4wd,it will either get it out or get it worse.

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #20  
I've got three 2wd tractors and don't need 4wd. I use mine for making hay, shredding and dirt work in North East Texas. The larger 2wd tractors are hard to get stuck for what I'm doing.