Comparison 4wd or 2wd Tractor??

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #1  

shibaura_4043

Silver Member
Tractor
Zetor 4341 Cab, Shibaura 4043
I am considering purchasing a new to me cab tractor probably in the 60-70hp range, I have found a couple nice NH 2wd cab tractors that im interested in... however I was hoping to get a few opinions from people with cab tractors in this hp range. Those of you with 2wd do you wish you had 4wd, and 4wd onwners how often do you need to engage 4wd? my little shibaura is 4wd and it comes in very handy especially dragging, but with a larger, heavier tractor I wonder if its really a necessity. thanks

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #2  
I own a TN70DA It seems like I have it 4wd more than not

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #3  
Flat Somewhat dry ground 2wd is okay. If you get on some slopes with a loader you are going to want 4wd real quick, just for braking alone.

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #4  
I have an LS P 7010C (70hp) and with the front end loader on and loaded with dirt, it gets most of its traction from the front wheels. Granted I could increase traction with loading the tires but it is already in the 8500+# range and dents the soil pretty good without water. It is much easier to just use 4 wd since I have it. I think it would save money on traction losses when pulling ground engaging implements also to the point of paying for the cost in one farming season. You just dont loose much traction with it and it is much safer going down hill using the 4 wd locked in as you can then basically have 4 wheel or at least 3 wheel brakes. I dont know of too many 4 wd tractors with diff locks on the front.
I wouldnt buy any tractor without 4 wd. THey are just so much better than 2 wd. They are definetly not to be considered like 4 WD trucks that only help you get stuck more thoroughly although the same does apply if you do go down with one, you are thoroughly stuck. If you have an FEL and or a backhoe you can pretty much get out of everything short of quicksand but if you cant get unstuck using the 4 wd and FEL then be prepared to go get the big wench trucks or really big tractors/dozers

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #5  
no matter what you own, you will find uses for the 4wd.

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #6  
We have two tractors in the 70+hp range. One 4wd and other is 2wd. If all your going to do with it is generic farm work like move hay bales, plow and plant and such then 2wd will work. Most of us are hobby farmers and do many things with our tractors like dig, push over trees and mud work. We don't even get our 2wd out of the barn if mud is involved but when lifting is the objective then the 2wd is our choice. Most of the old time farms around us have large (100+hp) 2wd tractors and they pull 24' disks all the time. I'm not knocking or advocating 2wd tractors because they have their place on the farm. Being a hobby farmer as I am, all my machines from this point forward will be 4wd

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #7  
I grew up farming in the flat lands farming with 3WD tractors and my brothers still use them out there, but we recently put a MFWD Massey Ferguson 375 out there for loader work and usually took one out to pull logs.

We might buy a used 2WD for bush hogging in the flat lands, but any new tractor will be MFWD/4WD, we use it on our hill farms every time we run them.

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #8  
i live in flat dry areas.. thus 4wd is added expense for me.

if I did a ton of laoder work.. was in hilsl or loose areas.. i think 4wd might be an accessory.. :)

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #9  
What is the turning radius of 2 vs. 4 wheel drive?

/ 4wd or 2wd Tractor?? #10  
What is the turning radius of 2 vs. 4 wheel drive?

Probably depends on the tractor and may vary, but as an example, the Kubota M7040 2WD turning radius is 10.8' while 4WD is 11.8', both without brakes.