Tractor
    John Deere 2320, JD430, JD312

Default Piranha Tooth Bar or Standard Tooth Bar

I read a lot of the threads on toothbars and appreciate everyone's opinion, there are some really good suggestions and its very helpful. I have a JD2320 (24hp) and want to clean up small sapplings, blackberry, honeysuckle and the like. This field has been idle for some years and mowed with a bushhog just cutting the sapplings off. A few of the sapplings are too big to be plowed under and not big enough for a chain saw, a toothbar when the ground is soft sounds easier and removes the roots. The field will be planted for hay. I like the Bxpanded Piranha tooth bar idea, but I am concerned it may not hold up over time and without another top plate in the bucket, I wonder if it will bend and/or damage the bucket also. I am thinking it might work under ice packed snow better thereby giving me another reason to buy it over the conventional tooth bar. Anyone have any experience with this Piranha or any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -piranha-tooth-bar-jpg  

Tractor
    GC 2310

Default Re: Piranha Tooth Bar or Standard Tooth Bar

Bump. I'd like to know also.

Tractor
    Kubota BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAxle46 View Post
    I read a lot of the threads on toothbars and appreciate everyone's opinion, there are some really good suggestions and its very helpful. I have a JD2320 (24hp) and want to clean up small sapplings, blackberry, honeysuckle and the like. This field has been idle for some years and mowed with a bushhog just cutting the sapplings off. A few of the sapplings are too big to be plowed under and not big enough for a chain saw, a toothbar when the ground is soft sounds easier and removes the roots. The field will be planted for hay. I like the Bxpanded Piranha tooth bar idea, but I am concerned it may not hold up over time and without another top plate in the bucket, I wonder if it will bend and/or damage the bucket also. I am thinking it might work under ice packed snow better thereby giving me another reason to buy it over the conventional tooth bar. Anyone have any experience with this Piranha or any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    I have one on my BX25 and it is amazing for what you want to do. I did about 1/2 acre of saplings last Summer, mostly 2" with a few 3" thrown in. Pushed them over from up a bit on the stems, then just went at them at ground level and pushed them into a big pile. Easy! I still have an area for this Spring with blackberries and wild grapes. Blackberries are easy, wild grapes having 3, 4, 5" stems are not so easy for my little BX. The Piranha is thick steel and the toothbar plate continues UNDER the lip of the bucket. Mine doesn't even have a dent in it and with the steel under the bucket lip, it's great for back dragging my gravel driveway. It digs pretty good too! I'm very happy with mine and haven't had any regrets.
    BX25, "60" MMM, 3 point hitch, Brinly 12" cat 0 1 bottom plow, TSC Countyline carry all, Kubota ballast box, 4X4 Loyal drag harrow, BXpanded Piranha tooth bar, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, Bro-Tek wheel spacers, Bro-Tek backhoe ripper tooth. Kubota BX2763A front plow, Phoenix T4 48" rototiller, Harbor Freight Quick Hitch, BXpanded Quick-on Work light Kit, Mark Hodge stabilizers.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

My experience with a standard tooth bar is that it is good for digging out brush but no better than a bare bucket for snagging and pulling out brush.

Bruce

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7305

I basically just posted a thread about this same question, which tooth bar to go with. I am leaning towards a standard type because I believe it will be better at digging into dirt (the main reason I want one), and I already have a ratchet rake for doing brush removal. But can the Piranha dig as well as a standard tooth bar?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

I, too, would like too see a comparison digging report, using the same tractor and ground.

Bruce

Tractor
    John deere 650

this is comparing with and without on my JD 650.

with: good at digging up stumps and roots, finding rocks. and loading random materials into the bucket. however the toothbar means that not as much dirt makes it into the bucket when trying to load just dirt. not quite enough for me to take it off yet, but I rarely haul just plain dirt around.

so tooth bars are good for digging, just not as good at loading.
    it does sound ideal for the situation described at the beninning of the thread, in digging up small saplings and bramble.