Tractor
    Kubot BX2230

Default Purchasing Help

Decided that it was time to buy a Zeroturn based on the fact over the last few years my lawn actually has turned green and has become thick and lush. The push mower can no longer handle the consistancy of my lawn. I keep getting blowouts when muching and end up having to cut it twice. I refuse to bag, due to spending more time bagging then mowing. So I've started the hunt for a new mower.

I've decided to get a zero turn to mow around the flower beds and such. Looked at several different option but not sure if the price can justify the 1/4 acre lot. Based on what everyone here is saying it's best to get myself a entry level comercial grade so that the thing lasts. This is where you guys come in.

Here is what I was looking at.

Simplicity Citation
    Gravely ProTurn 148
    John Deere 445 or 655 series
    Toro Time Cutter

The thing is the simplicity offer better financing option with 0% for 40 to 48 months. Does it justify the 1/4 acre probably not that's why I threw the time cutter in. Problem is the grass is growing so fast that I wanted to get something that can handle it.

Thoughts, Opinion, Statements.

Let me know what you guys think.

Tractor
    Kubot BX2230

Default Re: Purchasing Help

no takers on this huh.

Tractor
    Kubot BX2230

Wow... Thanks for everyone's advise. You guys have been a great help.

Tractor
    John Deere and New Holland/Ford Tractors

How much are you willing to spend? That would help us better understand if you want a residential or commercial type mower. With only a 1/4 acre lot, you probably just need a residential mower. You might want to look at the Gravely ZT HD, Scag Freedom Z, Toro Time Cutter or JD 445.
    John Deere and New Holland/Ford Tractors and stuff

Tractor
    Kioti CK20S HST and Gravely walk-behind (2 wheel tractor - 700 lbs.).

Quote Originally Posted by crazygreek View Post
    Wow... Thanks for everyone's advise. You guys have been a great help.
    Hey CrazyGreek,
    Don't take it personally... it's just statistics, and sometimes the folks who might have your answer didn't see your post (there are hundreds of posts here every day). And if they do see it and see the attitude in the above statement, it doesn't usually lead to positive results.

One suggestion that will get better response on TBN (or any forum) is to make the subject to your thread both specific and informative. I thought your thread was going to be about buying some kind of help from a tractor dealer. Example of title for your subject matter: "Zero turn mower: Simplicity, Gravely, Others? Help!"

Now that I've got Roberts Rules of Order out of the way ( ), I'll tell you, you may also find interesting options on craigslist, unless your set on getting the ZT brand new from a dealer.

I needed something to cut about 1/4 acre rural lawn (Read, "not urban manicured") and 3/4 acre very rough rocky field. Plenty of obstacles, and didn't want something expensive that'd get ruined by hitting a few. On CL (craigslist) I found an old 1969 Gravely Commercial 10/12 HP walk-behind with a 40-inch finish mower deck, and it has been GREAT! Just what I needed and cost me $500. It does a good job on the lawn, is a lot more maneuverable than a ride-on tractor, and what I really love is I can raise the deck instantly by pushing down on the handlebars if I'm doing the field and run across a rock that got missed. Plus, it's built like a tank!

That's all the experience I can offer you... enjoy whatever you get!
    -Mitch