Comparison John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #1  

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 1016, FEL, 60"MMM
I want to start by saying I have never owned a tractor but my old John Deere LX 277 is about worn out cause I been mowing approx 4 acres with it for many years. My home sets on 11 acres and about 4 acres I keep mowed, I am in the process of clearing more out and would also buy a brush hog with whichever tractor I buy. I have decided to buy a sub-compact but I can't decide on which one. I had decided on a John Deere 1026 until I told my wife I was going to spend $18,200 with tax, brush hog, loader and deck. So now I am back to square one. I can get a used john deere 2305 or a kubota 2660 for under $12,000, actually I know where I can get a Kubota with loader, rear blade and mower deck with 54 hours for $11,500, I can get a John Deere 2305 for the same price or a tad cheaper. How do they compare? I know the Kubota has more HP but reliability wise are they pretty close. I liked the 1026 with the quick attach but that is not an option anymore so how hard is it to attach to either machine? On lifting I don't plan on doing a lot of heavy lifting maybe smooth out my yard or move some dirt which one is better? Seems like all the forums I have read the kubota people loves theirs and the JD people loves theirs so for a 1st time buyer I am confused. What is everyone's thoughts on the 2 tractors I got picked out. Thanks for your opinions.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #2  
We own a John Deere 2305 and BX2660. We prefer the BX2660 over 2305.

The seat is much more comfortable on the BX and reclines. For me to be somewhat more comfortable on the 2305, a spacer needs to be placed in the back to raise it up. This is not unique to me as there was an old thread with other owners mentioning this and one even fabricating a spacer with dowels to fit in the springs to keep it in place. This is not a problem for everyone as some find the seating position comfortable. I did not notice it until after a few hours of mowing.

The BX has quarter inching 3PH while the 2305 doesn't.

We had the hydraulic deck lift on our 2305 and had to replace the lift cylinder after the warranty ran out and had the deck lift worked on several times before that; also we have had ongoing problems with the deck height adjustment.

We have had no problems with the BX.

The power steering is smoother on the BX.

The heel-toe vs side by side is almost a wash for me, but my wife strongly prefers the heel-toe.

The turn signal/hazard flashers are more vulnerable on the 2305.

The deck belt on the BX is twice as thick as the 2305 and will mow really rough stuff that the 2305 won't.

The radiator location leads to more frequent cleaning on the 2305 than the BX.

Deck removal is about the same on both.

Both are very stable on hill sides and can't give an advantage to either.

We prefer the lever PTO engagement on the BX, but that is a personal thing as we haven't had problems with either.

Another "issue" was when we jacked the 2305 up using the front bracket like we do on the BX, it sprung the frame just a bit; probably should use another point, but we didn't.

I have tried to be as objective as possible and originally intended to get two 2305's, but after using the 2305, we bought the BX2660 for our other farm.

A comparison between the 1026R and BX, puts it above the BX, but the price is a bit hard for me to swallow; it would really be a hard decision if I was buying new and I very well may get the green one.

In searching the forums, you will find many happy 2305 owners, so it is a good tractor, we just prefer the BX after owning both for a few years.

Try both to see whic you like best.

Good luck.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #3  
I want to start by saying I have never owned a tractor but my old John Deere LX 277 is about worn out cause I been mowing approx 4 acres with it for many years. My home sets on 11 acres and about 4 acres I keep mowed, I am in the process of clearing more out and would also buy a brush hog with whichever tractor I buy. I have decided to buy a sub-compact but I can't decide on which one. I had decided on a John Deere 1026 until I told my wife I was going to spend $18,200 with tax, brush hog, loader and deck. So now I am back to square one. I can get a used john deere 2305 or a kubota 2660 for under $12,000, actually I know where I can get a Kubota with loader, rear blade and mower deck with 54 hours for $11,500, I can get a John Deere 2305 for the same price or a tad cheaper. How do they compare? I know the Kubota has more HP but reliability wise are they pretty close. I liked the 1026 with the quick attach but that is not an option anymore so how hard is it to attach to either machine? On lifting I don't plan on doing a lot of heavy lifting maybe smooth out my yard or move some dirt which one is better? Seems like all the forums I have read the kubota people loves theirs and the JD people loves theirs so for a 1st time buyer I am confused. What is everyone's thoughts on the 2 tractors I got picked out. Thanks for your opinions.

I dont know everything about these smaller tractors, but I believe you will find the kubota to have more features. It is more of a deluxe model whereas the deere 2305 was an economy model. The deere equal to the kubota (feature wise) would be the 2320 or 2520.

But when buying used, there is a whole lot more that goes into a decision than just the spec sheet. Because hours, condition of machine, what extras are included, etc. Those ALL make a big difference in what one is worth.

As far as price, and wether those are good deals, look at tractorhouse.com and see what similar machines are bringing.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #4  
Have you considered a Mahindra Max22 or Max25? Could get this new for what you would be paying used for the other 2. If were buying this size, the Mahindra looks like it would get my vote, even over a 1026r.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #5  
Have you considered a Mahindra Max22 or Max25? Could get this new for what you would be paying used for the other 2. If were buying this size, the Mahindra looks like it would get my vote, even over a 1026r.

I also own green and orange but would give the Mahindra Max25 a very - very hard look if buying today for the job tasks you listed. A huge plus in my opinion is the Max has positioin control. Some will say the Green and Orange has better trade in or re-sell value, but how many of us trade tractors like we do cars or trucks.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help
I called my Mahindra dealer and asked them how much the Max 25 was and almost fell over when he told me! I can get a John Deere 1026r for $15,750 and they wanted $16,975 for the Max 25! I really didn't want to spend that much money.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #7  
I called my Mahindra dealer and asked them how much the Max 25 was and almost fell over when he told me! I can get a John Deere 1026r for $15,750 and they wanted $16,975 for the Max 25! I really didn't want to spend that much money.

You seldom will get your best price by calling. Best to go visit and let them know you are serious. You should be able to beat that price. Also, the Max25 is way more tractor that the 1026r is. You can't shop from you house. You have to go drive them and haggle on price/options/perks/etc.

Have you also considered a Kioti CK20 or bobcat ct122? Don't forget that mower decks on tractors like these can be expensive too. Typically $2500 or so. Did your 1025r price include a loader and a mower deck? If so, that would be an outstanding price for it (considering it's JD)....but it's still not the tractor that the Mahindra and Daedong's are - a mere toy.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #8  
You seldom will get your best price by calling. Best to go visit and let them know you are serious. You should be able to beat that price. Also, the Max25 is way more tractor that the 1026r is. You can't shop from you house. You have to go drive them and haggle on price/options/perks/etc.

Have you also considered a Kioti CK20 or bobcat ct122? Don't forget that mower decks on tractors like these can be expensive too. Typically $2500 or so. Did your 1025r price include a loader and a mower deck? If so, that would be an outstanding price for it (considering it's JD)....but it's still not the tractor that the Mahindra and Daedong's are - a mere toy.

You are quite correct that the Max is a much bigger tractor than the deere 1026.

You should be comparing that MAX to the deere 2320 or 2520. Much better comparision. Not sure what that would do to you on price, but a better comparison nonetheless. Sure the deere 1026 looks like a toy to the max. But the max looks like a toy to a deere 3320. Just compare apples to apples, drive them all you may have an interest in, and buy what you are comfortable with.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help
So which Mahindra is compared to the John Deere 1026 or the Kubota 2660? That would give me a better idea on the price. I want to find a aub-compact that will fit my needs and my wife don't leave me cause I paid $18,000 for what she calls a lawn mower! $15,750 + tax is for the JD 1026 auto connect 60" deck, quick connect H120 loader but by the time I add a Landpride RCR 1248 rotary cutter and tax that takes the bill up to $18,000.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #10  
For JD, that's a pretty good price. But, I still think you are doing yourself a disservice by not driving a lot more models and haggling the price, especially the Mahindra's, Bobcat's, and maybe LS. Also New Holland, Case, MF, Cub Cadet, and TYM (the T273 is an awesome size/performance package).

Also, I wouldn't buy new implements, like a bush hog. 3PH implements are easy to come by at half or less than the cost of new. Bush hogs in the $300 to $700 range are everywhere. Bush hogs are probably the most common implement I see for sale used. I bought these used:

6' rake with gauge wheels $250
6' Gannon boxblade with retracting bar and floating rear blade $150 (needed work- but it's a $1000+ BB)
5" Bush Hog Brand chipper/shredder $600 (a steal)
68" meteor snow blower $1000
hydraulic high lift forks $550

Saved several thousand dollars by buying used. Harder to find items like post hole diggers and chippers, you might not be able to wait the time it'll take to find a good used one.