Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #1  

barry1me

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2520
Hey guys Im looking at the 2320, 2520, and the B series Kubota and I like a little about both brands. But If at all possible I want to try and support the most american made brand if possible. I work in the auto industry....the big 3 are my customers so I want to try and buy as much american made if possible. Looking for some insight on where each of these tractors are made, and thoughts on the US made vs maybe not US made tractors.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #2  
I'm not sure on the newer Deere's but the Kubota's I do know about. The tractor itself is made in Japan, and the loaders, backhoes, mower decks, etc are made in USA.

I will say, that if the Deere is made in the US, I hope they have their act together better than they used to. We bought a JD 4400 in '98 and it was without a doubt the most troublesome Deere we have ever owned. It was also the first series of compact tractors Deere made in this country.

With that said, the Japanese make an excellent compact tractor (including the Deere 3005/4005) and Kubota and Yanmar were basically the ones who invented the compact tractor market in this country. I buy most things American when I can, but big ticket items I want the best of the best, regardless of where they are made.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #3  
I think the wheels/tires on the Kubota are also made in the USA. My dad's 5075m says assembled in USA. Has a small plate on the rear transmission that says "made in China" on it. The engine is made in Mexico on it. The Deere salesman told my dad the engines were made in Georgia and he had seen them being built! Tractor has a oil leak at the engine with just over 300 hours on it. But it does run very strong and seems like a good enough tractor overall. I think the Deere loaders are made in Mexico now also. I think its pretty much a wash and you sould get the one that suits you best.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made
I'm not sure on the newer Deere's but the Kubota's I do know about. The tractor itself is made in Japan, and the loaders, backhoes, mower decks, etc are made in USA.

I will say, that if the Deere is made in the US, I hope they have their act together better than they used to. We bought a JD 4400 in '98 and it was without a doubt the most troublesome Deere we have ever owned. It was also the first series of compact tractors Deere made in this country.

With that said, the Japanese make an excellent compact tractor (including the Deere 3005/4005) and Kubota and Yanmar were basically the ones who invented the compact tractor market in this country. I buy most things American when I can, but big ticket items I want the best of the best, regardless of where they are made.

I agree with your logic on buying the best....just from my experience with most consumer products most US made products are better made. Maybe in tractors its not that way. That is why Im on here trying to learn!!!

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #5  
I'll suggest using the search function for weeks of reading. American made has been beat to a pulp around here many times over.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #6  
It is a small world after all.
This from wici on John Deere.
"As of 2006[update], Deere & Company employs approximately 49,000 people in 27 countries worldwide, including the United States, Australia, Turkey, Canada, United Kingdom, China, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, India, Poland, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Morocco and South Africa, among many others and is the largest agriculture machinery company in the world. Inside the United States, the company's primary locations are its administrative center in Moline, Illinois and manufacturing factories in central and southeastern United States.[4]

Just good business to have factories where you have markets so the local government can't import duty you into noncompetative status.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made
It is a small world after all.
This from wici on John Deere.
"As of 2006[update], Deere & Company employs approximately 49,000 people in 27 countries worldwide, including the United States, Australia, Turkey, Canada, United Kingdom, China, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, India, Poland, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Morocco and South Africa, among many others and is the largest agriculture machinery company in the world. Inside the United States, the company's primary locations are its administrative center in Moline, Illinois and manufacturing factories in central and southeastern United States.[4]

Just good business to have factories where you have markets so the local government can't import duty you into noncompetative status.

Agreed. I work for a US auto supplier that engineers, designs, and manufactures in the US, but also has plants in South Africa, UK, brazil, Germany, Austraila, Korea, and China.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #8  
If you are looking at the 2xxx series John Deere, the tractor itself is built in Japan. The attachments may be built in US, China, Mexico, etc depending on what it is.

It's an international world. John Deere builds small equipment in Asia and exports it all over the world. They build a lot of large equipment in the US and export it all over the world.

You can go crazy unless you accept the international aspect of industry today. My Dodge truck was built in Canada with parts from the US and Mexico. No problem.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #9  
I'll suggest using the search function for weeks of reading. American made has been beat to a pulp around here many times over.

+1, I can't keep track of where stuff is made or even by whom as Case and NH share models made by Shiburu at one time and now some are made by LS.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #10  
Look at the Kubota for being the most american. As manufacturers switch venders, ie yanmar-deere, cnh-shibaru parts availabiliy migh not only be an issue of availability but also cost as everytime a company handles a product it costs.