Need BX buying advise

/ Need BX buying advise #1  

Deliberate1

Friends,
My wife says "we need a new lawn mower." First I pinch myself and then get to it. About 15 years ago I bought a nice Honda rider for about $2300. But the last five years, doing 1.5 to 2 acres has buried it. I began looking at the Kubota T rigs which go for appx $5k with a bagger. Then I checked out the JD 277 in the same price range. Then I hear the BX siren song. Now I m looking to buy a tractor that will likely cost six times more than my first car. But which one? Kubota's implements has created needs I never knew I had, or realized I could satisfy with a home machine. I live in a rural part of Maine. Our .3 mile driveway needs some serious bush hog attention. And the idea of having a 50" snow thrower makes me quiver more than the cold on a February day. I have been told that the BX1500 is a great machine, but would labor with the bush hog. And it is not that much cheaper than its older siblings. So the 1800 or the 2200? I have talked to the dealers in the state, but their prices are a good $1000 more than a machine sold in the midwest or from a dealer in NY. Best price I have seen listed on a new 1800 is $8750 (54"). The cheapest used is from a dealer a couple states over who wants $6000 for an 1800 (60") with 786 hours. There is one some distance away with appx 40 hours asking $8500. This would have to go for at least $750 less than that to get me away from the new on at $8750. Best price on a new Bx2200 from a dealer I could drive to is $9750. But I saw another for $8995 with under 50 hours. But I would have to get that shipped to me. So which to go for? Would you buy the 1800 for $6000given the number of hours, but knowing that it was used only for mowing (no implements). Or the almost new 1800 if I could get it for $7500-7800. Or the 2200 for the $8995, or whatever less he'll take. Or a new 2200 given that I could use Kubota's money for three years without interest. What could I expect to pay to have it shipped 1500 miles to me. I know it will be expensive, but the tax man in Maine is going to take $500 or so for sales tax, which would partially defrey the shipping charge. My inclination is the new 2200 in NY for the $9750 whcih I could trailer to my place. And if my Grand Caravan crapped out along the way, I could tow it with the Kub.
As if I have'nt asked enough, what do you think of the Kub bagger rigs. My wife will think the money ill spent if she has to rake anymore. Thanks all so much.

/ Need BX buying advise #2  
Can't help you eith the bagger question, but of your tractor options, the new 2200 with 0% interest would be my choice.
Will

/ Need BX buying advise #3  
<font color="blue">...15 years ago I bought a nice Honda rider for about $2300.... </font>

You did great for 15 years...! (all for only $153/yr!)/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now, does Honda make a larger deck for the next 15 years...? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

On the BX ?... for a few hundred dollars more... go brand spanky new, 0% interest... ah what the heck add an implement or two that you can use as well... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need BX buying advise #4  
I live in a rural part of Maine. Our .3 mile driveway needs some serious bush hog attention

Deliberate1,

With a 1500-1800' driveway one would assume you have some land, though your profile does not highlight this.

Also, if you have 15 yrs on your present Honda it indicates you take care of your hardware.

Pending your budget and your equipment needs look at the BX22 the TLB - you wil be amazed at what you can do with the machine. Once you have a BH you will wonder what you did w/o it.

But if your needs are not B/H related then get the new BX2200 with the attachments you need. Buy what you think you will need for the next 20 years!!

What it will cost you today is less important than how you see this purchase meeting your expectations for the long term.

Carl

/ Need BX buying advise #5  
New 2200 with 0% for sure.
I have a 2200, and I will be getting the bagger this year. I'm pretty sold on it from my research. From what i have learned, I think the mulcher kit is money down the drain. If I had 2 or 3 acres, I'd have the BX22. Alas the 2200 will have to do!

/ Need BX buying advise #6  
Go for it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif! The bx is a great little machine and you will wonder how you got along without it. A new one is yours to break in and maintain, and should last a long time.
Good luck,
DaveL

/ Need BX buying advise #7  
If you can afford it go for the BX22TLB. You will thank us for the back saving.

/ Need BX buying advise #8  
I checked on a bagger for my BX,seems like it was $2000.But,it's quite the bagger.I didn't get it.I was only wondering on the price.You have to see it to understand the price.I can remember some 1/4 inch steel on it.I would suggest the 2200,or even the next size up from the BX's.I have a Ford 2120 and I would hate to have this BX for my only tractor.I have rocks and stumps that stick up more than 6 inches,that's all the clearance you have with a BX.I like the BX in the fields,but the few times I had it in the woods,I had to pick my way through.I also looked at Kubota snow throwers.Was not impressed.Looked like a lot of pressed steel to me.I went with a Puma,3pt hinge.It's not all that bad backing up.I have a 500 feet driveway. My wife loves our BX1800.She does all the mowing,4 arces.She has almost 600 hours mowing and this is her 3rd year with it.

/ Need BX buying advise #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
So which to go for? Would you buy the 1800 for $6000given the number of hours, but knowing that it was used only for mowing (no implements). Or the almost new 1800 if I could get it for $7500-7800. Or the 2200 for the $8995, or whatever less he'll take. Or a new 2200 given that I could use Kubota's money for three years without interest. )</font>

I would opt for the BX2200 new. I was quoted about $1900 for the rear bagger but didn't wind up getting it. There have been some recent dicussions in the Kubota groups talking about the bagger for this tractor and I recall them all being favorable. BTW, the front snow blower is around $2500 (another thing I wanted but was too cheap to buy in the end /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

/ Need BX buying advise #10  
Go for the 2200 and you just have to have the FEL so you can get it in on the 0% as well. Get the 60" MMM and not the 54". No need to give up 6" when you have plenty of power for it. If you don't get the FEL now you will regret it after you do, because you will get one, trust me. The FEL makes this machine do amazing stuff. I use a 48" Craftman lawn sweeper instead of bagging. Usually only have to do the heavier stuff close to the house where it grows the thickest. Its a great cheap answer and a good reason to spend a few more minutes on the BX. Your lawn will be cut too fast for a days seat time satisfaction.