/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #1  

Bobby Ray

Tractor
none yet
Posting is below

Last edited:
   / Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow
The tractor to be purchased tomorrow is a 1955 international 300
Utility with some type of torque magnifier?

Actual tractor

IMAG0492-1.jpg

Well first of all I would like to start off by saying Hello, I've been lurking for 3 months now and have gathered alot of info from ya'll , you guys offer tons of information here that cut my learning curve in half.

Now to the question I have for you guys, I found this Tractor down the road from me just sitting at a shop so I popped in and asked if they were willing to sell it, they said yes!

Now I was looking for a diesel tractor but this was gasoline and I don't know if this old of a gasoline tractor would be reliable for many years to come?

this tractor has 2400 hours and everything seems to be in working order
I drove it today as far as I can tell it looks and feels solid.

The only unexplainable issue is the right brake pedal when i press it there's little resistance but still has breaking power but why is the left brake pedal do much firmer? Is this normal?

The man selling it wants $2000 and I don't know if that's fair or not since I have no pricing reference for a tractor this old.

This is our families first tractor and money is tight right now.

Any information Would be very much appreciated

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #5  
Couple of things....first, make sure that there is little/no play in the steering wheel...these models had "issues" with the steering boxes....if there is more than an inch or so of play in either direction before the front wheels start to turn, be wary...also, from the pic you sent the exhaust pipe is dangerously close to the carb...would suggest that a shield needs to be between...as on a hot day you will get vapor lock when the gas in the carb starts to boil....BobG in VA

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #6  
I had one for 6 years. It was the first tractor I ever bought.
Reliable? No it won't be. No power steering so unless it is frequently greased it will be very hard to turn. If it is greased, it will be just hard to steer.

The steering box is a major weak link and they gradually fail. Mine had minimal play in the steering when I bought it and I kept it oiled and greased. It completely failed as I was loading it onto the trailer the day I sold it.

The torque amplifier is fantastic but a bear to repair if it doesn't work.

I still had a great time with it and it was a fun tractor.

I would look for slightly newer tractor. Perhaps a Ford 2000 or 3000 or even a later International.

Couple of things....first, make sure that there is little/no play in the steering wheel...these models had "issues" with the steering boxes....if there is more than an inch or so of play in either direction before the front wheels start to turn, be wary...also, from the pic you sent the exhaust pipe is dangerously close to the carb...would suggest that a shield needs to be between...as on a hot day you will get vapor lock when the gas in the carb starts to boil....BobG in VA

The steering play is fine although i think one of the steering linkages need to be adjusted because when I took it to about 20 mph the right wheel started to wobble, so I pushed the linkage forward with my foot and it was fine? You think its ok?

I had one for 6 years. It was the first tractor I ever bought.
Reliable? No it won't be. No power steering so unless it is frequently greased it will be very hard to turn. If it is greased, it will be just hard to steer.

The steering box is a major weak link and they gradually fail. Mine had minimal play in the steering when I bought it and I kept it oiled and greased. It completely failed as I was loading it onto the trailer the day I sold it.

The torque amplifier is fantastic but a bear to repair if it doesn't work.

I still had a great time with it and it was a fun tractor.

I would look for slightly newer tractor. Perhaps a Ford 2000 or 3000 or even a later International.

What exactly does that torque amplifier do? And what do you think about the wheel wobbling a i stated in my last post?

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #9  
"Built for only two years"! This says alot about the model. I'd run away from it and find a good Ford N series. Lots around and good tractors for the $.

idaho2

Last edited:
   / Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #10  
Well, it is tomorrow and maybe this is too late, but I would pass. Not enough parts and if you have to ask, you probably should not buy on this one being so old.

I looked on CL, lots of good machines under 3K that you can get service and parts for.

For example

1948 8-N Ford Tractor