l3800 versus l4600

/ l3800 versus l4600 #1  

Drdriller

Tractor
Looking for one
I REALLY need some help. I am completely confused as to what size tractor to buy. I am looking at the l3800 and l4600, but can't decide. I have 17 acres with 2 acre pond. I will be mowing 7 acres, tilling 1 acre and doing miscellaneous "man" things with my tractor. I want a tractor that can mow and till without bogging down, but don't want to buy too big of a tractor. Between these 2, what is your recommendation?

Summary:
17 acres: 7 acres mow, 1 acre till for garden, and misellaneous like post hole digging etc.

I want a sufficient tractor but not overkill. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.
thanks

/ l3800 versus l4600 #2  
Either tractor will do what you want to do. The L4600 will be able to utilize larger attachments (your mower for instance).. But larger tractors cost more, have more capability, and generally can get jobs done faster when using larger (faster) implements. So you have to decide, spend more for the tractor and usually a little more for larger implements as a trade off for faster work speed. I just swapped of a L3400HST tractor, almost exactly (2010 model) the same as the L3800 you are considering. It is a fully capable tractor, and could run a 6 ft mower or rotary cutter as long as the grass wasn't too deep. the L4600 could probably pretty easily run a 7 footer. The loader on the L4600 will be a little stronger also, if you are considering getting that, though you did not mention it. I traded for a Kioti DK35se hydrostat. It has more lift, more push power, (more weight) bigger tires, and a higher level of luxury features. It is your time, and your money. If I was in the market for a L3800 or L4600, I would look hard at a Kioti CK35. You may not have a dealer nearby, you may not like it, but you should look, And you should look at some other brands as well and see what fits. Let us know how it turns out and what you decide.:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ l3800 versus l4600 #3  
Both will work well. Just depends on how long you want to take to get it done. I like the L4600 a lot, but it's really easy for me to spend your money :laughing:

/ l3800 versus l4600 #4  
We often hook the SQ84T bush hog in light mowing behind the L-3400-3800 tractors and have had excellent results. The L-3800 is an excellent tractor and the reliablity is typical Kubota. Kubota has the strongest dealer organization for sales and serice and won't leave you with a pocket tractor that might only have good service or resale in unique corners of the country.

The L-4600 would give you more tractor, lift on the loader but often the extra price here might cut seat time which is a possible plus but also cuts funds for attachments!

/ l3800 versus l4600
Is there a big difference in size between the two?

/ l3800 versus l4600 #8  
I was goin to buy a L4400/4600 5 months ago, but my dealer had a 14 hr L3800 on the lot that was too good a deal to pass up. I love the 3800 and have absolutely no regrets. Have 400 acres here...:thumbsup:

/ l3800 versus l4600 #9  
What kind of price difference are you getting on the the 3800 vs 4600??

If within your means, I would consider the 4600 for your acreage and pont maintenance and mowing.

Check out the 3PH on the 3800 too. Try raising slowly with a heavy implement on the 3PH BEFORE you sign papers. May be a deal breaker. Some were jerky, some are not. But it is something you want to know BEFORE you buy. IF you can live with it, that is the ONLY fault of the L3400/L3800 series. Other than that, it is a great tractor for the $$$

/ l3800 versus l4600 #10  
Okay, I'm going to jump in on this conversation. I am seriously considering a new Kubota L4600. I was pretty well sold on the L3800, but after actually seeing the L46 sitting next to the L3800, the L46 seems like a lot more tractor for the money difference, which is exactly $4500. $18000 for the L3800 and $22500 for the L46, before taxes. I own 80 acres of heavy clay, and will be removing a lot of Autume Olive brush, planting trees, etc. All advice appreciated. At prrsent Kubota is offering a $2000 discount if you pay cash, which I will. My price reflects that discount.