In need of sickle cutter bar

/ In need of sickle cutter bar #1  

jacobsdaddy06

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF1240
Bought a new idea 256, 3 pt sickle mower obviously well used, well today the bar broke where it attaches to main assembly, anybody know where I might find one? Also would other makes fit or are there universal ones? Thanks

/ In need of sickle cutter bar #2  
Not sure what you mean by the 'main assembly', but the bar backbones are usually just soft steel. Line it up using a tooth and bolts (If that's where it broke) slice out a section to fill with weldment, and have it welded back together. Even castings can be welded (nickle rod is my favorite).

A few pictures would make it more clear to us where the break is and the type of fix that could work.

/ In need of sickle cutter bar #3  
Bought a new idea 256, 3 pt sickle mower obviously well used, well today the bar broke where it attaches to main assembly, anybody know where I might find one? Also would other makes fit or are there universal ones? Thanks

Check that bar carefully--it may be bent by whatever caused it to break. If the bar is still straight, get it welded. The bar on my MF31 sicklebar that I bought at auction was so bent that it was useless. I got a piece of steel bar from my supplier and drilled holes for the sickle sections and the drive attachment. The cost was low and it just took me a few hours to do the drilling.