Tractor Sizing bobcat style options

/ bobcat style options #1  

aznh

Tractor
international 3514
I owned a very old international bachoe/loader for years.but it finally had a "fatal injury". In thinking of what I now need out of a tractor, it seems that the small bobcat style with á bucket loader on tracks would be best. I have many muddy places and a lot of "landscaping" left to do on very hillly rocky Terrain. I like the idea of a small machine that I can manuever into small spaces but need to be sure I have enough power to actually get the job done. I'm somewhat familiar with international.ford. farmal cub.Even slightly with kabota.but I don't know anything about who other than bobcat makes that style of tractor. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

/ bobcat style options #2  
:welcome: to TBN!

From my experience on many brands of skid steer loaders and compact track loaders you first need to decide what you want to pay for one and also make sure you have a dealer close by that can get you parts when you need them. That being said I personally like the Deere machines the most. I personally have a 317 skid steer loader that has plenty of power (61hp) and never ceases to impress me with it's capabilities. I also have operated a CT322 (66hp) and it will lift almost twice the weight in the same sized machine.

What are the benefits of tracks? Flotation is great, the ride quality on rough ground is great too. You get twice the lifting capacity as well.

The down falls are rubber tracks actually get worse traction vs. over the tire tracks on a skid steer loader. Rubber tracks become ski's in the snow and are very dangerous on muddy or snowy hills (I have experience with this). Tracks also come with a very expensive undercarriage which has more components to wear out over time and requires a good greasing every so often to keep the tracks tight. Tracks also need to have the undercarriage cleaned regularly or components will wear out faster plus when you suddenly leave the work site to a more maintained area of your property it will leave trails of dirt that has rattled off the undercarriage as you traveled. Once tracks need to be replaced it requires a second machine to move the worn out tracks once they are off the machine and it also takes several hours to replace a single track if you have little experience.

The benefits of a skid steer loader with tires are a lower initial cost, tires are easier to replace and cheaper to replace/fix/repair. A skid steer with tires also has a smoother ride on hard surfaces and paired with over the tire grouser tracks it will get better traction than a CTL with rubber tracks. Skid steers also are several thousand pounds lighter, a similar CTL will usually gain 2k lbs. thanks to the undercarriage. If you were to get a skid steer stuck in the mud they are easier to remove (I have done this :ashamed:) vs. tracks which make it harder since you can get things between the tires, under the tires, etc.

The down falls are less capacity (my 317 is rated at 2100 lbs. lift capacity) and the fact that you can get a flat tire (unless foam filled).

My overall vote would be a skid steer loader with grouser over the tire tracks, this combination should suit your needs well. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    901.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Me driving CT322 1.JPG
    Me driving CT322 1.JPG
    994 KB · Views: 264
   / bobcat style options #3  
I had a mini-bobcat (will fit through a 4 ft door and in a pickup bed) with metal over the tire tracks. Adding the metal tracks was easy and increased productivity significantly. Not for lawns unless you go in a straight line and stay off warm asphalt. Would never have another bobcat style loader without the metal tracks.

/ bobcat style options #4  
Skid Steers are great for somethings and if all you need to do is move dirt it may be best for you. If you need to mow, till, do fence posts or run a snow blower look into the cost of attachments. They will run four or five times more expensive than PTO drive attachments on a tractor.

A high school buddy of mine is a Bobcat dealer and told me that a track model will cost about $10 an hour to run by the time you need replacement tracks. May just be his opinion but that is pretty pricey if the machine isn't making money.

MarkV

/ bobcat style options
Thank you for the info. You've convinced me to go with tires rather than track. I was talking to my brother today about this and he told me his experience with a skid steer type tractor was that it didn't have much lifting power. The one decision I have made is to rent first. I have a dump truck load of hardpack to carry/spread,so renting for a good day of work should give me a better idea how a skid steer would work for me. Thanks again.

/ bobcat style options #6  
I dont know what your brother was comparing them to but it certainly wasnt a tractor with FEL. They have much more capacity than a comparable sized in footprint tractor because the load is so close to the machine. Tires do wear out quickly on them though especially when used in sandy soil or on hard surfaces. They also have much more digging out force than an FEL. A tractor with FEL has little digging ability even with a tooth bar compared to a skidster.
Tractors are much more versatile at much less cost for attachments. If all you need to do is dig and move dirt or clean out chicken house or barn stall, then Skidsteer is your man.