BUYING KUBOTA BH 92 Vs HIRING/BUYING mini EXCAVATOR

/ BUYING KUBOTA BH 92 Vs HIRING/BUYING mini EXCAVATOR #11  
You're right about that! I sure wouldn't turn away a backhoe if it were in my budget :)

That's the 'fine print'. I just got my first tractor with backhoe (JD 110), but I plan to use the backhoe a lot. I'm going to be clearing land and digging up stumps, making drainage etc. I figure well over half the hours will be using the backhoe. Got close to 40 hours of my own on it now and only about 5 are without the backhoe. Before it never made sense for me to have a backhoe, but now it does. If you only have a couple projects to do, then a rental is a great idea.

/ BUYING KUBOTA BH 92 Vs HIRING/BUYING mini EXCAVATOR
Does anyone know if the MX5100 loader can handle a bigger bucket as they one i sawtoday looked rather small to what i though i saw last time i looked.? Any comments wiil be very helpful..

/ BUYING KUBOTA BH 92 Vs HIRING/BUYING mini EXCAVATOR #13  
This is my mx5100 don,t know bucket size but maybe bigger than what you have seen and will answer your question.

Attachments

• Mis 008.jpg
    Mis 008.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Mis 009.jpg
    Mis 009.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 275
Thanks for showing your pics, yours looks bigger than i saw at showroom today. im getting a 4 in i FEL but i was sure its was larger...must be some slight of hand trick .maybe...are they any standard specs on a kubota tractor or is that flexible? I can read them on our australian website...seems its now under construction ...

/ BUYING KUBOTA BH 92 Vs HIRING/BUYING mini EXCAVATOR #15  
I have the BH92 and it's a great backhoe. Plenty of power to do the things I need around on my property including removing boulders, stumps, drainage ditches, etc. Based on the way it's built, I don't have too many concerns about it's longevity. Now it's also not a commercial regular sized BH either so one needs to know one's limits. Last year while waiting on the delayed delivery of my MX5100 with BH92, my dealer loaned me a mini-Ex for free for the weekend. It was a great machine, did a lot of work fast and yes it's much faster than the BH92 as you don't have to constantly get up and move the tractor. From that perspective a mini-Ex is great. However I am of the opinion and position that I can't just 'go rent a mini-Ex' as I don't have a large enough truck to pull one and they are pricey for the weekend. Also I don't like to have to wait and line-up my BH jobs, instead I like to do them as they come up and dictates owning a BH of some kind. There is nothing like having the tool to do the job right then and there instead of having to wait.

This likely doesn't answer your question directly but the BH92 is a very nice BH, well designed and strong.

Thanks Kyle241, unfortunately Kubota withdrew the BH92 from the MX5100 in Australia for apparent safety reasons which have not been explained, something to do with the positioning of the ROPS in relation to the BH seat....

hence my long delay in deciding which way to go by looking at other models from
L3800 and L5740 each with a BH, but i decided the L3800 was not suitable even with BH and the L5740 was way over the top for my needs and budget bracket. The MX5100 still appears to be a superior option despite my great annoyance about it not having a bh application.

/ BUYING KUBOTA BH 92 Vs HIRING/BUYING mini EXCAVATOR #18  
I know prices tend to be higher in your country but if your not in any hurry you can actually find a good used mini excavator for just a little more then you would pay for a brand new 3pt backhoe and the mini will easily out work the backhoe. I just paid $18k for a Bobcat 331 with two buckets and cab. I found lots of open stations for $11-$13k with between 2-4k hours. Over 4k hours and your looking at less then a new 3pt backhoe. But I will say this, I have used backhoes and excavators. They both have their places but if your main use is digging ditches or working wet ground go with the mini. If you have to drive a half mile or more every time you need to use the hoe then a 3pt may be the better option as you have a much faster transport speed. So you will get there faster and if its a simple digging job then you will be done long before the mini arrives. But if its a large digging project then the mini would get there and easily catch up and pass the 3pt.

I do enjoy being able to walk out and use mine anytime I want to. Always rented before and you rush to get everything done before you have to return it. Now I just use it when I need it or have spare time to work on a project. Good luck with your decision.

/ BUYING KUBOTA BH 92 Vs HIRING/BUYING mini EXCAVATOR #19  
Kyle241 are you happy you chose the MX5100 ?

Yes very much so. I had a B20 TLB previously and while a great little machine, it just lacked the HP that really needed to get things done a bit quicker. The MX is so much more stable being longer and wider, bush hogs greater, blows the snow with no problems and I pulled a 3 bottom plough with it last Fall to open an acre for planting. Did all those jobs easily with power to spare. I know I have not used it to its full potential and likely never will but it is very nice to have the HP when necessary. I have no qualms over it's a 'basic tractor' (not a Grand L) as it has everything I need. The other luxuries wouldn't really do much for me and I like things simple and straightforward.

One word of warning though is it is light in the backend. I normally always have my BH on so it's no worries but only this past weekend, I had my 750lb boxblade and it was not enough when I was lifting wet soil with the FEL. I think my BB is actually too light if one was to be doing a lot of FEL work as I really like stability when on a tractor. :D

Thanks Kyle241 thats important information for me, Was your bucket the standard or the smaller 4 in 1? And does the MX5100 need any extra bar on the rear to put weights on the frame,