Tractor Sizing Help me budget, how much machine do I need?

/ Help me budget, how much machine do I need? #1  

bigpinwheel

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere x500, Deere 2320
I've got 5 Acres much of it a grassy hill and a 1500ft drive that I've kept in check with a John Deere X500 a 54" deck and a 54" snow blade for the five years I've owned the place. My property lines are basically the tree lines in every picture.

It takes me about 3 hours to mow it with a fair cut but my back and everything else takes a beating. I'd like to reduce that. I can mow the hills well thanks to the locking differential on the X500, without it it would be a lost cause. I'm kicking around letting 3 or 4 acres go and getting a brush hog vs a finish mower.

I'm get by with snow removal as long as I start on the top of the hill with wheels and chains. But in heavier snow I just barely can manage. I can do some driveway maintenance with the steel blade but have no hydraulic down pressure so I've gotten some occasional driveway work done from a friend with a bobcat for washouts etc.

I think I'd like something to help keep the driveway pothole free, maybe a loader or blade with down pressure. Maybe some dirt work the field is pretty bumpy with the size tires on my x500 so box blade might be handy occasionally. I haven't ruled out doing something with the field if I had the right equipment maybe some larger scale gardening or fruit trees/berries.

I've attached pictures and am trying to keep this short. I'd be glad to answer questions. I've already learned tons from this site but wanted some input on what type of machine I should be budgeting for. I'm thinking 25hp CUT 4WD or a Ventrac type machine because of the hills. I'd likely be keeping the Deere because of a 60" gate to the backyard.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_20120530_175032 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20120530_175032 (Medium).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20120530_171627 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20120530_171627 (Medium).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20120530_171509 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20120530_171509 (Medium).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
   / Help me budget, how much machine do I need? #2  
plant 3 or 4 acres in a taller grass / flower. and start making mazes for Halloween! :laughing::thumbsup::D

lawn mower vs larger size tractor, does help with beating. riding lawn mowers you get off and you feel your body still shaking. larger tractor no so. newer tractors have power steering, that helps out a lot.

bush hog = company name. a rotatory cutter = what ya talking about. (should help ya find the mower type better when searching to buy one)

if you go with a rotatory cutter, you will be wanting some sort of front weight. either make it suit case weights mounted to the front of the tractor or a FEL (front end loader) the front weight helps counter balance the bush hog. and helps to keep the front end from lifting up off the ground.

4WD / MFWD would help you out on the hills. you could prolly go with Turf tires vs R4's, and if you need some additional traction come winter. you could get some chains for rear tires. R1's would more likely tear your yard up and see little benefit form. vs going with turf or R4 tires.

============
it looks like you have some ditches along your drive way. but it would be advised trying to get the ditches in, so you can divert water away from your drive way. less water going across and on drive way. better the drive way will hold up long term.

length of drive way and amount of rock. i might suggest box blade, and a rear 3pt blade.

3pt blade is not that expensive. and can help with create ditches along with pulling rock off the sides of driveway back onto the drive. and will help with snow removal.

box blade can also help creating better ditches and smoothing things out. and filling in holes in road way.

===============

25 HP, sounds good, if you can squeeze out a few more HP say 30HP. pulling the box blade and rear scrapper blade. can make you want those extra HP. so you can take a bigger bite out of stuff. and keep on going.

================
belly finishing mower, (mower fits below tractor and between front and back tires) i did not see a large shed, so you might see if dealer will offer a 3pt hitch rear finishing mower vs belly finishing mower. that way you are not having to pull the finishing mower out from under tractor, when ever you want to do something else. the belly finishing mowers can weight a good amount then fighting them constantly to put them on and take them off.... *ughs*

/ Help me budget, how much machine do I need?
Thanks for the reply boggen

/ Help me budget, how much machine do I need? #4  
For many years I mowed close to 8 acres that were in a couple different locations. At the largest 5+ location I stored one tractor with a 5' rear finish mower and drove another about a mile to get there. With me on one tractor and #3 Son on the other we could knock the 5 acres out in about 1-1/2 hours. This was with a Ford 1210 and a Kubota B7500. Now that I'm down to cutting about 3 acres, I bought the tractor I should have had 10 years ago.

The RFM's did a nice job in keeping the place looking like someone cared. After having a belly mower on the first tractor, I've been a fan of rear-mounted finish mowers.

I had a rotary cutter but sold it. It was best at beating down big weeds and saplings - rough work. I would recommend being more careful than I was at times. In tall weeds the rotary cutter ate a couple cinder blocks and didn't seem to mind it.

Earlier this week I swapped the B7500 for an L3200 and went with a 6' RFM. I didn't give up much at all in manouverability and gained weight and HP. A couple observations were that 4WD wasn't needed with the 3200 where it was with the B7500. The suspension seat and larger tires make it ride better than my smaller tractors. It feels like the larger diameter tires roll over things that the smaller ones "bumped into and over".

/ Help me budget, how much machine do I need? #5  
I'd plant part of it in a Native grass meadow. Keep a lawn grass border mowed around it. That way it can be safely burned every couple years.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/habitat/wild-in-the-woods/grow-a-native-grass-meadow.pdf

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/OI/Documents/April09GoNative.pdf

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/SUL18.pdf

Prairies are really cool! It's fun to design the mix, and they are always changing as years past and with the seasons. Be aware that warm season mixes can be costly! But ,they are well worth it. You might be able to get them for no/low cost from a local Pheasents forever chapter (or similar)along with planting help. BTW, something in the 30hp range sounds about right.

Last edited:
   / Help me budget, how much machine do I need? #6  
It sounds like a 25hp might work. Your property looks pretty tame and you could probably get away with a Kubota B7500 or Branson 00 series but I wouldn't go anything less than a 35hp, and definitely 4WD. Most people I have talked to love their smaller tractors BUT wished they got something a little larger. I looked at the Branson 3510 and other brands in that size. When I test drove the 3510 and other brands I just wasn't sure it would do what I needed it to do, but it was PLENTY for maintaining the property I had. Finally, I decided on the same 35HP but with a larger frame 20 series and it was the better choice and I never regretted it. Not to mention I saved about $12,000 over a comparable brand. R4 tires are a nice compromise and will still get you through some sticky situations. Get the heaviest tractor for its size and that will help in needed weight. I recommend something about the size of the Branson 3510, it will do all your small chores and most anything you need in the future. Good luck

http://www.bransontractor.com/Products/Tractors/10-20-Series/3110i.aspx

/ Help me budget, how much machine do I need? #7  
I don't know what to tell you. You have a good machine for just mowing right now. I guess you could get a tractor large enough to pull a 72" finishing mower, but you are talking 35+hp tractor. You will need a grader blade for snow. You could use a loader or box blade(best for driveway work) but int would be more difficult. A fast zero turn would be good for mowing but no good for snow.

/ Help me budget, how much machine do I need? #8  
Depending on what and how often you would be cutting, a RFM might be fine for what you're doing rather than the brush cutter.

I have a 60" Bush Hog RFM on my tractor and I cut our back field (about two acres) three times a year, and it's fine with it.

The size of the mower depends partially on what kind of terrain you have. If you have uneven terrain, as we do here, you won't be able to go over it very fast and you will need 4wd most of the time. (I never take mine out of four wheel drive while mowing.) My 60" mower is the "right size" for my 26 hp / 19 pto tractor, but I do believe that at the speeds I am able to travel, the tractor could handle a 72" RFM. Then again, with the uneven terrain the wider the deck, the less smooth a cut you're going to get.

Hills that are no problem for a garden tractor are white knuckle scary on a CUT, so it's wise to keep that in mind. Sometimes I cut the back field with the old Wheelhorse just for comfort purposes alone, despite the extra time involved. I am told that the larger frame CUTs are more stable on hills and uneven ground, and if so, going a size larger than mine would be a good thing. I can't swear to it because this is the only tractor I have ever owned.

I would never be satisfied with the quality of a brush cutter on my field, so unless you really intend to cut brush, I'd consider using a finishing mower, even if you're only going to cut a couple times a year.

I wouldn't even consider a CUT of any kind without a loader. It's just the most versatile thing you can put on the machine and it provides front ballast as well. A rear blade for snow is okay, but with the newer quick attach loaders, a front blade is also possible. I need the loader for snow, so I used a back blade until last fall when I upgraded to a snow thrower for snow, which I never had to use the first winter, (and I'm NOT complaining.)

One more thing: If you get a back blade and are going to use it primarily for snow, I would get a size larger than the "normal" size for your tractor. This allows a little more clearance from the wheels. If you are primarily using it in the dirt, then the extra size might bog down your tractor, so there's a tradeoff. I thought about building 'snow wings' for my six foot back blade, but never did.
Good luck!

/ Help me budget, how much machine do I need?
I can't argue with you Messmaker. My X500 has 27HP and is an impressive mowing machine and a tractor capable of pulling a 72" mower probably isn't something I want to swing. Does anyone think a 60" RFM on a CUT is worth the cost of the upgrade? A box blade and a loader would be convenient but mowing my primary use.

Last edited:
   / Help me budget, how much machine do I need? #10  
i'd getme a lil 21-30hp scut/CUT and a back blade and hog.. 4wd for hills.

save the rider for a strip around the house..