SCUT vs CUT mowing differences

/ SCUT vs CUT mowing differences #1  

barry1me

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2520
Gents trying to decide between a SCUT or a CUT and comparing all of the differences. Anyone had a SCUT and went to a CUT? or Vice versa? If so I would like to hear your input on things.

/ SCUT vs CUT mowing differences #2  
Started with a BX23 TLB, had a 60"mmm the went to a B3200 TLB but added a 72" RFM. Now I cut 3 acres with a Grand L3540 with same Woods 72" RFM. All cut the lawn good, but I like the RFM the best because it's easy on and easy off. Now the difference in size and weight do come into play if the lawns wet. Although with the Grand L's you would think it would tear up the lawn, not so because with the R4's being around 20" wide it does not. If I do want and need to cut when lawns quite wet I use the garden tractors 48" mmm. Hope this helps?
DevilDog

/ SCUT vs CUT mowing differences #3  
Used to have a NH TZ25 with a 60" MMM, Now have a T1510 with a 60" MMM. They both cut good, but I prefer the T1510. I like the stability and heavier deck of the bigger tractor better for cutting the hills.... Personal preference I guess.

/ SCUT vs CUT mowing differences
Started with a BX23 TLB, had a 60"mmm the went to a B3200 TLB but added a 72" RFM. Now I cut 3 acres with a Grand L3540 with same Woods 72" RFM. All cut the lawn good, but I like the RFM the best because it's easy on and easy off. Now the difference in size and weight do come into play if the lawns wet. Although with the Grand L's you would think it would tear up the lawn, not so because with the R4's being around 20" wide it does not. If I do want and need to cut when lawns quite wet I use the garden tractors 48" mmm. Hope this helps?
DevilDog

The Grand L is one amazing tractor. Im on 3 acres also and grew up on NH CUTs. Do you have a backhose on the Grand L? How capable is the BX backhoe?

/ SCUT vs CUT mowing differences #5  
Better than 90% of the hours I log (anywhere between 120-150 per year) are mowing. The remainder are playing in the dirt or snow with the FEL or using the tractor as a large diesel-powered wheelbarrow.

First machine I had that was in a class larger than the "MTD" was a gear Cub 154 LoBoy with a 5' belly mower.

Next was a Ford 1210HST R1's, 4WD with a 5' RFM. Bought it used almost 20 years ago and can't seem to part with it. Over the years I beat the snot out of the Caroni deck, welded it back together a couple times. Still cuts very nice.

10 years ago we got a Kubota B7500HST R4's with a Landpride 5' RFM. That mower was about max for the tractor. If the grass was long the tractor would drop some RPM's going uphill. I did use the Caroni (cheaper/lighter) deck on the 'Bota some times and it made a noticeable difference.

Earlier this week we traded the B7500 on an L3200 with R4's, a rear discharge 6' Landpride RFM. Dealer filled the rears with an antifreeze solution. It was surprisingly easy on the grass. I guess that the extra width of the tires keeps the weight spread over a larger footprint and makes a difference. The B7500 was harder on the grass when brand new. After some usage the sharp shoulders of the R4's wore round and it was a lot more lawn-friendly. Only mowed one time so far with the L3200, but this will be my favorite. It is way more nimble than it looked when it was parked next to the B7500. I'm not a little guy (6'-4" & 270#) and like the way the L series fits me.

Both of the Kubotas have FEL's, but I always remove them for mowing. Thought I'd mention that because a friend of mine bought one of the larger HP'd B series and complained that the front tires were rough on his grass. He insisted on leaving the FEL in place to mow.

/ SCUT vs CUT mowing differences #6  
whatca mowing.

cut generally have more ground clearance than a scut. scut is more like a super-rider mower...

/ SCUT vs CUT mowing differences
Ok so Im mowing about 2 of my 3 acres. My front yard has a lot of pine trees to mow around, but some are dieing and will be reomoved soon. The back yard has about 8 trees to mow around, and a raised garden and firepit. There are some spots that are on a bit of a slope in the rear. Mowing wise I think the SCUT would get around a little better, but for tractor capability sake I think the CUT would be so much better.

I had tested the Kubota BX25, B2620, B2920, B3200 so far

And drove a John Deere 1026R and the 2520 around. I have to price the 1026R with a backhoe yet but overall the John deere I liked much better then the Kubota. I thought the B3200 was going to be what I wanted untill I drove it. I couldnt stand how much vibration was in the floor and seat.

/ SCUT vs CUT mowing differences #8  
I also liked the JD 2520, but didn't like the price. Ended up with a mahindra 2516 and it's great. I use a RFM so the deck was not an issue. If I would have gone with a MMM the 1026 would probably have been my choice.

/ SCUT vs CUT mowing differences #9  
We have a BX2660 with ~270 hours and a 60" MMM (suspended deck), a B7500 with ~700 hours, a 60" MMM (ground contact deck) and a 60" Bush Hog and a L3830 with a 80" Bush Hog.

I prefer to ride on the L as it has the best ride (long wheelbase and suspension seat will do that for you). Next, I would use the B with the loader removed as it has a slightly longer wheelbase, faster ground speed and a springier seat than the BX.

IMO, the springs on the back of the BX seat are too strong and should be weaker to let the seat bounce a little when you hit bumps.

Just my $0.02

Aaron Z

/ SCUT vs CUT mowing differences #10  
I would recommend the x749 for your mowing and lawn maintenance duties. I would rent a larger backhoe with operator for stump and tree removal. I would not buy a backhoe attachment for a small yard too expensive and too limited in its abilities.

The majority of the time you will be mowing and the x749 with 4x4ws is great for cutting around the pine trees. It is also good with a pine needle rake and a small chipper, tiller and boxblade.