Buying Advice model comparisons

/ model comparisons #1  

Soup Can

Tractor
John Deere 5103
I am a new member and have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on all the different makes and models. I currently have a John Deere 50 hp tractor and I want to buy a larger tractor with cab and some larger implements for my ranch work.
Based on the size of the implements that I want to buy I have almost decided to buy a JD 6115D. I was also considering the 5095M. These tractors are close to same cost with the 6115 having more hp and a few less perks.
I would like to get some opinions from some people that know alot more about this than I do.

What are the pros and cons to these tractors?

Which one should I buy?

Is there another model I should consider?

Some advice and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

/ model comparisons #2  
What do you plan to do with the few extra HP?

In my book, I've gotten spoiled and now like the convenience and luxury features, even if they cost me a couple extra HP. Are you considering getting a cab? Loader?

/ model comparisons
Definetly a cab and loader. With extra hp a can pull a biggger disc. My ranch is over 800 acres. When all is done I will have 30-40 acres of food plots with another 100 or so acres of cleared pasture that will be shreaded periodically.
After checking out both the 6115d and the 5095m it feels like the german made 6115 is better put together as opposed to the 5095 built in Mexico.
I know the 6115 is more basic but seems like all I need.

/ model comparisons #4  
I believe your mistaken. The 5095M is built in Augusta, Georgia and the 6115D is built in Mexico. Both are nice tractors, but I wouldn't think you'd see much difference in the net power for pulling a disc as much as something involving the PTO, though. I'd highly suggest asking the dealer to let you borrow each and see how you like them and how they meet your demands before purchasing.

I am surprised you've been working 800 acres with only a 50HP tractor - lot of land for that size machine!

/ model comparisons
my ranch is in south texas. it is 90 % brush. I only use the tractor for the food plots and mowing senderos, dragging roads etc...
I do need another tractor and a bigger tractor. not planning on selling the 50 hp tractor. You are correct on where the tractors are put together.
Not sure where I got that info. It is the bigger 6330 and 6430 that are built in Germany. The 6115 has 117 engine hp and 95 pto.
It is I

/ model comparisons
i think 95 engine and 70 pto on the 5095.

/ model comparisons #8  
The biggest difference is with the 6d tractors you only get a 9x9 power reverser and with the M you have three transmission choices. The basic option being a 12x4. I would want a lot more gears in a 100hp tractor then only 9 but that's just personal preference.

/ model comparisons #9  
The biggest difference is with the 6d tractors you only get a 9x9 power reverser and with the M you have three transmission choices. The basic option being a 12x4. I would want a lot more gears in a 100hp tractor then only 9 but that's just personal preference.

I don't have enough seat time to say one way or the other but does it really make that much difference. Of course your lowest gear will pull the maximum load that the engine can deliver and higher gears pull lighter loads faster and the highest gear moves the tractor from field to field at a reasonable speed but having the difference between low and high split nine ways or twelve ways can't make all that much difference can it. Can the operator of a 12 speed find a gear that is just right that the operator of a 9 speed can't find and has to settle for a gear that is a third of a gear to slow?

/ model comparisons #10  
I think you will see a lot of difference in a 84 hp or a 100 hp tractor. I would not consider a sub 100 hp tractor for serious farming unless it was a small helper tractor, which you already have with the 50hp. Seams most equipment for serious farming is designed for tractors over 100 hp. The other thing to consider is the weight. The 5095 tops out at about 8000 lbs the 6115 over 12,000. That will be a huge difference in dragging a disk. with current 4x4 tractors you will run out of traction way before hp and thats where weight is king. My vote would be the 6115, but I am a farmer and comfort takes a back seat to work every time. If I wanted to be comfortable I would be in a lawn chair with a cold one.