Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra Max28XL HST

Default Re: Right CUT for 10 acres

For my first tractor, I picked up the Max28XL (Loader, Kodiak 2500lbs forks, and 5'finish mower) a couple of weeks ago. I have to mow slow around many obstacles... but never have to pull out the push mower. Had my 4 yr old steering the other day... we had a blast.

I'm not loading the tires, which are industrial, but they are better on the lawn than I expected. I would guess that turf tires would have no effect on a lawn with the Max28XL.

I'm not a farmer, but want to regrade my property, make a much larger driveway, move pallets of pavers, a few boulders, pallets of firewood, plow... etc.

I moved 2 boulders the other day... the 2x2x2 I picked up easily with the forks on the loader, and I did it on the 3ptHitch, too. The other boulder was 4x2x2, that I rolled and pushed with the bucket... no problem with that technique.

I believe the Max series, I think the 28XL, have drive over MMM... you'll want to verify that, but I think that is the case.

What I have is way to big for where I live -- long term (though I do NOT have the largest tractor on the block ), but I will make great use of it for the next couple of years... after that, I'll probably keep her, cause I'll take great care of her and she is wicked fun.

I own a tractor.

While you may want, or choose, a larger tractor, I will say the Max28XL is quite a machine, I think you'd like her. If I had more land, I'd just get to use her more... with one of the boys in my lap, of course.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I would buy a used tractor about 40 hp and a new mower for the lawn area. Look for deals on implements and buy as I found them at a good price. I would consider a two wheel drive tractor if I found one in good shape with a loader too. There are some good 4x2 used tractors available at a lower price because everyone wants a 4x4.

If you have to buy new then I would go with a deere x320 riding mower and a Deere 3038 tractor. This would be over budget but would be a good setup for your needs.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

always had a belly mower, and i hate them. any time i want to do something else, i have to physically drag the MMM (mid mount mowers) out, and then drag them back under tractor when done with everything else.

so much easier to to backup with 3pt hitch hook up and go, and then backup to same spot and unhook. and ready for next thing.

if i left belly mower on while doing other tasks, i would have that sucker dinged up, bent up, and looking like a piece of scrap metal that went through a grinder. not to mention getting hung up on belly mower, do to low ground clearance under tractor it would cause.

on other hand RFM, does have some draw backs, of making sharp turns and getting cutting close to things like trees, to other.

=============
    as far as tractor, i would suggest going with a larger tractor frame. errr getting out and away from riding lawn mower frames on steroids, and go with a tractor frame that sets higher off the ground. generally when you do this, you get higher clearance, for getting through muddy areas to cleaning out cow stalls without getting stuck on belly of tractor. along with extra weight for the tractor.

all your implements you can buy third party brands or used ones and be ok the only exception is the FEL and backhoe, those 2 items normally costly compared to majority of all other attachments / 3pt implements. and if you buy together, you will more likely get a bigger discount vs purchasing individually.

if you have the garage / shed space, get 2 tractors, one for just finishing mowing, and one for everything else. doing so lets you go for AG / R1 tires on tractor for better traction in mud, and lets you go with turf tires for the finishing mowing. those R1 / AG tires might come in real handy when you need to get out in pasture, when it is muddy, to deal with livestock. vs spinning your wheels with R4 / backhoe tires.

if you go with round bails, you could always get 3pt hitch forks or 3pt bale spear. granted you can not lift the round bail up and over the round bail feeder ring, with a small size tractor with bail spare on the FEL. but with amount of livestock. i doubt you will need to stack 2 round bails high to save space on property. though unloading off of a trailer may be a different story *rubs chin*

about only thing else that you mention that might tax the tractor for HP and weight. would be dealing with gravel / dirt driveway. and pulling a 3pt box blade or rear scrapper blade or land plane.
    Ryan

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere

Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
    always had a belly mower, and i hate them. any time i want to do something else, i have to physically drag the MMM (mid mount mowers) out, and then drag them back under tractor when done with everything else.

so much easier to to backup with 3pt hitch hook up and go, and then backup to same spot and unhook. and ready for next thing.

if i left belly mower on while doing other tasks, i would have that sucker dinged up, bent up, and looking like a piece of scrap metal that went through a grinder. not to mention getting hung up on belly mower, do to low ground clearance under tractor it would cause.

on other hand RFM, does have some draw backs, of making sharp turns and getting cutting close to things like trees, to other.

=============
    as far as tractor, i would suggest going with a larger tractor frame. errr getting out and away from riding lawn mower frames on steroids, and go with a tractor frame that sets higher off the ground. generally when you do this, you get higher clearance, for getting through muddy areas to cleaning out cow stalls without getting stuck on belly of tractor. along with extra weight for the tractor.

all your implements you can buy third party brands or used ones and be ok the only exception is the FEL and backhoe, those 2 items normally costly compared to majority of all other attachments / 3pt implements. and if you buy together, you will more likely get a bigger discount vs purchasing individually.

if you have the garage / shed space, get 2 tractors, one for just finishing mowing, and one for everything else. doing so lets you go for AG / R1 tires on tractor for better traction in mud, and lets you go with turf tires for the finishing mowing. those R1 / AG tires might come in real handy when you need to get out in pasture, when it is muddy, to deal with livestock. vs spinning your wheels with R4 / backhoe tires.

if you go with round bails, you could always get 3pt hitch forks or 3pt bale spear. granted you can not lift the round bail up and over the round bail feeder ring, with a small size tractor with bail spare on the FEL. but with amount of livestock. i doubt you will need to stack 2 round bails high to save space on property. though unloading off of a trailer may be a different story *rubs chin*

about only thing else that you mention that might tax the tractor for HP and weight. would be dealing with gravel / dirt driveway. and pulling a 3pt box blade or rear scrapper blade or land plane.
    I agree, but the MMM is more ideal for mowing. The deere MMM with auto connect will connect much faster than any RFM. Not trying to say that's the only way to go, but if you must have a MMM, then Deere is the best option. I think the best way to go then would be a larger tractor and a lawn mower, though. Even having a 3120 for a while, it is much larger than I'd ever want to use on my lawn.

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

On my 7.5 acres I use a JD 2320 and a JD z465 ZTR. I love the set up, mower is a perfect fit. I bought the 2320 before I bought the ztr. Had I bought them at the same time, I think I would have bought a little bigger tractor. I may one day still up grade that 2320 to a 3x20 since it doesn't see lawn duty.

My
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    None

Spent the evening reading about a LS R3039. Love the specs. Have a local dealer. But concerned about longevity of company. Comments welcome

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra Max28XL HST

Quote Originally Posted by Morroder View Post
    Spent the evening reading about a LS R3039. Love the specs. Have a local dealer. But concerned about longevity of company. Comments welcome
    I was very interested in the LS G3033, but the dealer was an issue. And the tractor was just a little more than what would be practical for my needs. As it is, the Max28XL is pushing the envelope, but of my choices, it was the most versatile and comfortable... so I chose the Max28. The Max 22 or 25 would have been plenty of machine, but they were not comfortable to use, for me. And the LS J series was not comfortable at all... though it was far less expensive... The LS J series is the New Holland... without the New Holland price.

More land, and better dealers, and the choice would have been more difficult.

I wouldn't be overly concerned for brand. I would be concerned with specific models, dealers, my own needs/uses, comfort, and price/negotiation.

Mahindra is not the cheapest, at least in my area. That would be LS. However, whatever size tractor I looked at, it was the Mahindra version that out lifted, in that size, up against any brand.

Tractor
    JD 3120

Having a JD3120 w/ 7' Woods RFM, I mow my 2 acre lawn in about an hour. Truthfully, I envy neighbor's ZTR for it's speed and maneuverability. But I also grade my drive with BB, pull stumps with BH, and bush hog fence rows, so I love the 3120. Ideally, I would own both, but cost is an issue. Best of luck!
    JD3120, 300xFEL, 1060BB, 447BH, Woods PR8400 RFM

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by Morroder View Post
    I don't foresee ever having more than 4-5 head of cattle and a horse or two. Will probably always feed square bales as big round would tend to spoil overtime. Might consider light big bales. 750lb range. I really like the specs of the Max 28XL. Big lift capacity, available MMM if I choose, and still light at 1800lbs. Of course I could go bigger and use ZTR for lawn around house. So many choices, don't want to make high priced mistake.

We all have budgets to consider at least I know I do. I suspect that with most people and a new property it is better to get the right equipment one piece at a time. I would recommend you get the best mower for your long term needs for the lawn area first. Two or three acres of lawn will take some time to fix up nice. Then go for a larger tractor that meets your other needs, I really don't think you would be happy with an 1800 lb tractor if you have experienced what a larger one will do. I would look at tractors at about double that weight with ballast and up.

Tractor
    None

Priced a LS R3039 today. $16500 w/FEL. Really impressed with engine, loader control and shuttle shift. Only downsides were I couldn't get seat adjusted to support me. I weigh 215lbs. And the 3ph would lower extremely slow. Messed around with flow value and it worked fine. Also noticed a small amount of jerk in lifting 3ph. Will have dealer mount implement before I pull trigger on purchase. For the price, this tractor is hard to match.

38hp 4cyl
    31 pro
    Loader can lift > 2000
    Dual outlets
    Joystick control mounted on fender
    12 speed tranny

I have yet to match those specs for money. Have priced kubota L3200 HST w/FEL (hated gear drive options) at same price. Along with Mahindra 3016 shuttle w/FEL. HP and FELs don't come close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast