Buying Advice Right CUT for 10 acres

/ Right CUT for 10 acres #1  

Morroder

Bronze Member
Tractor
Boomer3040
Recently bought 10acres of gently rolling clear pasture to create mini farm. Will be maintaining 1000 ft of level road, mowing 2-3 acre lawn and 5-6 acres of pasture for livestock. Grew up on a farm and am well experienced in operating bigger equipment 100hp and up, including loader work.

Looking for advice on sizing, MMM vs FM, and best approach for maintaining road. Will be buying tractor with FEL.... Not sure on shuttle vs HST. We have local dealers for almost all brands. Have looked at Max 28XL and 1026R. Want to be exhaustive in evaluation, but not to waste time as I have limited time

Needs

FEL work
Road maintenance
Mowing
Garden tilling

Been viewing posts for 3 months. Thought I would finally join and ask for guidance. Thanks in advance

/ Right CUT for 10 acres #2  
Welcome to TBN.

With your experience you will be able to make a smaller tractor work for you but may end up wishing for a bit more HP and weight based on your past use.

If you step up to the L3800-L4200 Kubota, DK Series Kioti or similar size JD or Mahindra I think you would be better off long term. There are mid range machines too, but the $ difference from those to the larger frame is not so great.

HST is the preferred drivetrain for most users altho that topic on here fills many pages. It is easier to use, more flexible for loader work, and mowing around things.

Changing implements - getting a MMM leaves the back end free for a PH Digger or BoxBlade so you dont need to change that often.

Do you have a budget $ in mind?

Carl

/ Right CUT for 10 acres
Would like to keep the tractor with FEL to around 16-17K. Then add mower (MMM vs RFM) to that price

/ Right CUT for 10 acres #4  
You can't go wrong, anything would work for your needs. Depending on budget, I would look at a 25-35 hp tractor.

60" would be a fine choice for a mower, any tractor that size would run a mower of that size. RFM or MMM, I would let the layout of your lawn make the choice-open, pick a RFM, tight with obstacles, MMM.

5-6 acres of pasture can be done with a 4-5' bush hog in 4-6 hours. If you want to do it faster, you could use a bigger tractor with a 6' cutter, but that may be too much tractor for lawn mowing.

I am most familiar with Kubotas-any of the B series would suit these requirements. I would stay away from SCUTs because of the pasture mowing and road maintenance.

Good luck,

Will

I definetly would choose a hydro

/ Right CUT for 10 acres #5  
You could get away with a 2x20 Deere/B Kubota etc, but, as mentioned, I think you would be much better off with a 3x20 Deere/L Series Kubota etc in the long term. Nearly any job can be done with a smaller tractor, than a bigger, just in more time. I would imagine the 1026r would be much to small of a machine for your needs. The Max 28XL would be getting closer, but ideally I think you could go bigger. You might want to check out a Kioti DK40, but I don't believe they offer a MMM. By far your best option for a MMM is the Deere with the drive over auto connect deck, but it comes with a price.

/ Right CUT for 10 acres #6  
You mentioned live stock and if you plan to feed round bales loader capacity comes into play. Many of the smaller tractors don't handle round bales well.

I personally am not a big fan of mid mount mowers. The mowers themselves often cost more than a dedicated riding mower and seem to be in the way for everything else I need the tractor for. Even a small tractor is often too heavy to avoid compaction on a finish lawn and they are not as maneuverable around landscaping. But hey, that is just me.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new property.

MarkV

/ Right CUT for 10 acres #7  
There are also some nice tractors on TBN in the classified section too.

This was a post by RJPRICE for his L3000DT (Gear 4WD Kubota) on 5/24/12 - It seems he is looking to trade in this in the $12K range. This is a good value at that price.

2000 Model L3000DT 4WD with LA450 FEL
Bush Hog Shredder 5 ft
Box Blade
Grader Blade
Landscape Rake

Tractor has 230 original hrs.

I am most familiar with Kubota also and the B3300 seems to be a real popular machine here in the $17K range FEL.

Good luck,

Carl

/ Right CUT for 10 acres
I don't foresee ever having more than 4-5 head of cattle and a horse or two. Will probably always feed square bales as big round would tend to spoil overtime. Might consider light big bales. 750lb range. I really like the specs of the Max 28XL. Big lift capacity, available MMM if I choose, and still light at 1800lbs. Of course I could go bigger and use ZTR for lawn around house. So many choices, don't want to make high priced mistake.

/ Right CUT for 10 acres #9  
3016 or 3616 with FEL and 6'ft finish mower...or comparable from other manufact. ..... Just my 2 pennies worth

/ Right CUT for 10 acres #10  
I don't foresee ever having more than 4-5 head of cattle and a horse or two. Will probably always feed square bales as big round would tend to spoil overtime. Might consider light big bales. 750lb range. I really like the specs of the Max 28XL. Big lift capacity, available MMM if I choose, and still light at 1800lbs. Of course I could go bigger and use ZTR for lawn around house. So many choices, don't want to make high priced mistake.

That's what I've done. Of course that adds another layer of payments and more money altogether, but a much more functional set up in my opinion. I mowed with a 790 Deere and a rear finish mower for about a year. It worked, but was never great. If you can afford a larger tractor and ZTR, that is by far the best way to go.