Comparison Best 4wd Tractor fro 150 acres??

/ Best 4wd Tractor fro 150 acres?? #11  
I would consider 2 tractors with that size of operation. One would have a frame attach backhoe and if you are dealing with water dams, you will want some reach to it to maintain them. Mine can dig to 11 feet which I consider minimum. As far as hp goes, I am a big believer in the 40 to 60 HP range. If you do get two, get one larger and one smaller. I buy used since there are a lot of people that buy a tractor then never use it, then they or their estate unload it a few years later.

/ Best 4wd Tractor fro 150 acres?? #12  
First you should figure out what you want to do work wise and the implement's required and how fast you want to get the work done. Then go shopping and find what's available in your area and how it meets the budget. Then it' get serious time.

/ Best 4wd Tractor fro 150 acres?? #13  
No such thing as Best or Perfect Tractor. . .

Oh yes there is!!! It's the one that I have!!! :D

JoeBuyer and Egon gave some sage advice.

1. It's gonna be hard to get a one-size-fits-all tractor for that big of an operation. I have 110 acres, half of that in hay meadows, and I'm running three tractors, from 35-85 hp.

2. You need to figure out WHAT you need to do with a tractor before you can determine WHICH tractor you have to buy.
Now, I realize, that tasks may change in the future, but you need to get some kind of idea what jobs you need a tractor to perform. For instance, I bale 4'x5' rounds. I can't do that with my 35 hp tractor. If you need to cut 50 acres of pasture, you don't want a 30 hp tractor and a 4' bush-hog. Get the picture?

Before you buy, you really need to know what kind of dealer support you can expect. Stuff breaks and wears out. You will need maintenance supplies like filters, etc.
Personally, I've always bought JD and Ford/NH. There are multiple dealers in my area and after-market parts are available as well.

/ Best 4wd Tractor fro 150 acres?? #14  
i would say 60hp+ a 32 38 horse is a little small to get stuff done fast i had a l3800 kubota i traded it up to a 70 horse the 7040 is 3x the tractor of the 3800 an i pnly have 16 acres you have 10x that and the weight differents is 2x from factory

/ Best 4wd Tractor fro 150 acres?? #15  
Hi Bob, I own the 50hp turbo by agrison and after much researching myself, found that they offered the best service and product and value for money. chinese tractors have come a long way in Australia, and I find that alot of other brands are more expensive because of investing more money into the cosmetic details of a tractor like glossy paint work etc. The agrison is great value for the price but I find the 50hp is getting a bit too small for my needs, so looking into the 75hp now. If you just want the job done and not too fussed on cosmetics then a chinese tractor is a great investment.
Thanks everyone.. still confused.. but slowly understanding that around 50 to 75 hp is where I should be.. 4WD.. and if I can afford it , an Aircon cab.. ( it gets very hot and very wet in Krambach throughout the seasons!).. The cattle are still alive !! that's almost a year and they seem to eat grass and leave **** everywhere.. but hey , I have kids as well and they aren't any better!

Does anyone have any knowledge on the Agrison Range.. they seem almost too cheap .. and that always scares me !

Cheers
Farmer Bob

/ Best 4wd Tractor fro 150 acres??
Thanks CharlesanadMegan..
Appreciate the info.. as I have had very conflicting reports on the quality of the Agrison range..
All food for thought !

/ Best 4wd Tractor fro 150 acres?? #17  
What is "overgrown" and "clearing"?

If you have trees, you may find a small dozer is handy.
A brush hog can do wonders on brushy stuff.

/ Best 4wd Tractor fro 150 acres?? #18  
Thanks CharlesanadMegan..
Appreciate the info.. as I have had very conflicting reports on the quality of the Agrison range..
All food for thought !
Service may be excellent, but it is still a made in China tractor which means very poor quality control. You may get a good one but likely as not get a piece of junk. I would stay away from Chinese for now, maybe in another 10 years. India, Korea, Japanese are all good places to buy from(brand is not that important as many are made under more than one trademark by the same company, i.e. Case IH CUT made by Kioti now, last year it was Case IH made by LS , New Holland boomers made by LS, LS also markets them under the LS brand, John Deere has some small tractors made in India, others made in China)
Being somewhat of a Green Acres guy, you should probably stick with new and from a dealer with good service dept and one that will give you a good deal. I would say that a 50,60 or 70 HP tractor would do anything you want. A cab with heat and Air conditioner is sure nice to have in summer or winter

/ Best 4wd Tractor fro 150 acres?? #19  
Fifty plus horsepower in a utility sized frame is what you are going to need at the minimum.

If your not making your own hay then a fifty horse unit will suit you fine, go a little bigger if your harvesting crops or tilling ground though. I raise cattle and train horses and have about 600 acres spread between three places. Current tractors are a ford 3000, two 4020 john deere's, a New holland TD 5050 and a New holland TN75D with both the new hollands being 4wd.

Honestly out of what I have I would go for the TN75 if your not going for heavy ground engaging work or heavy hay work. I like the size and maneuverability of it and it handles 5x5 round bales on the loader very well. I also really like the power shuttle and wish all of my tractors had it.

Any machine of this size class from a reputable manufacturer should work well for you, hp would be dependent on any implements you plan to purchase. Because I have the larger tractors for haymaking I could have gotten away with less HP and been fine but this tractor kind of fell into my lap as a good deal and I bought it instead of some of the others I was looking at.

As others have mentioned a cab with heat and ac sure is nice. A shuttle shift transmission is also a good option to have especially a power shuttle..

/ Best 4wd Tractor fro 150 acres?? #20  
We have 150 acres in sloping hilly country up on the Mid North Coast of NSW.. currently has 55 head of cattle roaming n eating the grass , but i want to prepare and grow 25 acres down on the flat part.. ( not withstanding wanting to clear around 35 to 40 acres up on one reasonably steep hill that is totally overgrown....) and general farm duties..
I hope to get a backhoe attachment as I need to clean and expand several of the dams that are quite overgrown ..
having said all that , I am a city slicker who is taking a BIG plunge into the unknown!

Cheers and thanks for all your help

Farmer Bob

I can't improve much on the good advice given here so far, Bob, but since you're in the "Green Acres" phase, I thought it might help to explain a bit about why having more than one tractor has been mentioned several times. The essential thing I have found is having more than one tractor enables you to "multi-task" more effectively. You can, for example, spend the morning running the slasher and immediately do some backhoe work someplace else without having to take off the slasher and install the backhoe on your one and only machine, only to change it back again the following day. Changing implements isn't particularly difficult or time-consuming, but it does interrupt your work flow. With your size of operation, I'd think a second machine would make your life a great deal easier. So, my advice is to plan for a two or three machine operation, even though you'll obviously start with just a single unit.