Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920?

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #21  
..not talking about this specific model, but wondering out loud.

one thing I have always wondered is exactly how some companies pull this off. your mainline tractors (NH, Deere, Kubota, etc) all lift about the same, but there always outliers that claim to lift way more but don't appear to have a front axle thats any heavier than the others. So what gives?

Just curous, whats a MAX28 TLB sell for? I've never run into one before or seen pricing online.

I think some "outlier" tractor brands just don't do proper testing. They let the marketing folks spec out the loaders and then within a few years things begin to break. The only reason the breakage isn't real common is that people can't really get that much in the bucket, or if they do so (by using forks or something) it is only occasionally that they are lifting near the limits. So the duty cycle is real light.

Now I am sure you weren't implying that Mahindra is one of the "outliers" since they outsell all other brands, and that is good. :thumbsup:

On this subject at hand we are talking about the Max series, built by Mitsubishi for Mahindra to Mahindra specs. Let me assure you that to get a loader or backhoe approved for installation via Mitsubishi is no easy task. Extensive testing is done, even destructive testing to find any weak points or limits. Now I am sure there are some considerations for duty cycle, there should be of course, but rest assured that this non-outlier manufacturer does not let the marketing department run the R&D department. And we use stout axles.

That being said, it is rare to need more than about 1000 lbs lift capacity on a front loader with a 5' or smaller bucket. So if someone just loves the Kubota or JD and is concerned about giving up 40% lift capacity on the front end loader if they don't buy a Mahindra, I'll concede that for most people it isn't quite as important as the specs show. A load of loose dirt in a 5' bucket is how much? 500-600lbs? Now breaking it out of a pile takes more grunt, and that is where the huge lift capacity is handy. Also using forks to carry stuff makes even a big tractor look small quickly, so if moving pallets around is an important task, get the higher lift. But if you move a lot of palletized stuff, get a forklift. A tiny forklift will lift what a 75 HP tractor will lift.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #22  
Mahindra hydraulic systems?

5 years ago I was working for a company that was developing Bi-directional self leveling for FEL's. We tested these systems on Bobcat, Case, & Cat skid steers as well as Case IH, Ford New Holland, JD and Mahindra tractors in the 50 - 80 HP range. The Mahindra hydraulic pumps failed in less than two days of testing while we never failed a pump on any of the other equipment. After the first failure dealer sent us a second tractor which also failed in the same time frame.

I do NOT remember what models these tractors where nor do I know if mahindra has improved the quality of there hydraulic components over the past 5 years. My concern is the OP was asking about a TLB which would normally put more use on the hydraulic pump than a simple FEL.

Not trying to Bash Mahindra, just stating my knowledge based on actual use.

Roy

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #23  
I have wondered the same. Not saying that it "cant" be done. But I think they either rate them with the rear chained down to something, or just use mathematics and calculate what to "rate" them at. Cause (talking this specific model) dont see how the Max 28 is going to lift anywhere close to 1400#. Again, comparing it to my 800# heavier tractor with 300# less lift capacity, I have loaded tires and a 1100lb 6' cutter that sticks back a ways. And it takes ALL of that just to get the loader to go into relief instead of raising the rears. You could put a 2500# rated loader on my tractor if you wanted and it would do me absolutely no good. because I cant get enough ballast reasonably to keep the back tires down.

So take the #'s with a grain of salt as I said. Because Most all tractors today can lift the back tires off the ground easy enough even with filled tires and ballast hanging off the back. So what good does any more lift do?? Other than look good on paper.

Just wondering also, anyone know the size of the cylinders on that MAX that is rated @ 1400# lift. Mine are 1.77" (45mm) diameter cylinders.

Here's the info from the AML205 loader manual (Max28XL Loader):

Cylinder specifications:

Cylinder / Bore / Rod / Stroke / min. lgth / max. lgth
Bucket / 1.38 / .98 / 16.7 / 25.6 / 42.3
Lift / 1.77 / 1.18/ 15.0 / 24.4 / 39.4

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #24  
Mahindra hydraulic systems?

5 years ago I was working for a company that was developing Bi-directional self leveling for FEL's. We tested these systems on Bobcat, Case, & Cat skid steers as well as Case IH, Ford New Holland, JD and Mahindra tractors in the 50 - 80 HP range. The Mahindra hydraulic pumps failed in less than two days of testing while we never failed a pump on any of the other equipment. After the first failure dealer sent us a second tractor which also failed in the same time frame.

I do NOT remember what models these tractors where nor do I know if mahindra has improved the quality of there hydraulic components over the past 5 years. My concern is the OP was asking about a TLB which would normally put more use on the hydraulic pump than a simple FEL.

Not trying to Bash Mahindra, just stating my knowledge based on actual use.

Roy

Makes me question system compatibility on the testing. Pressure relief issues or something, or an uncanny rarity of two bad pumps in a row? Seems extremely unlikely.

We are a relatively high volume Mahindra dealer and have seen just one hydraulic pump failure in the last 10 years, and that was on a 75HP tractor with some hours on it. Maybe we are lucky, and it is true that the smaller tractors only see on average of 100 hours a year, but I'd say our failure rate of less than 1/10th of 1% on hydraulic pumps certainly does not correspond with your experience.

I'm not questioning your truthfulness, but people should know that we simply do not have a trend of hydraulic failures with Mahindra, quite the contrary.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #25  
I'd check both out. For me I went with the 2920. My reasoning was that I'm not going to buy a lot of tractors, I'm going to use my tractor a lot for a home owner, but infrequently compared to a commercial user. I want something that is going to work reliably every single time I go to use it, something that there's going to be a lot of support for (I'll keep it a long time) and ideally something that when i want to get rid of it (even if its 20 yrs old) I can sell it and get good value. For me that really boiled it down to the couple of major brands and then my specific tastes and the deal itself let me to the kubota. I did find that specs between the brands are not always apples to apples and need to be taken with a grain of salt and that even with my kubota's lift capacity I've never maxed out the loader doing anything (just don't have enough weight to do it or a bucket big enough).

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #26  
heres my observations and questions

the kubota bx 25 is a proven piece

the max series is brand new ,is it wise to buy the first year of production before all the bugs and complaints are taken care of?

the bx 25 is cheaper than the max 25 tlb by a few thousand dollars in my area

does mahindra offer a five year warranty cause they know you will need it?

if mahindra is the number 1 in sales why do they have very limited dealerships? some states do not have even 1 dealer

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #27  
From what I saw the Max is not a completely "new" product. The 2516 and Max 28 look like clones. And for me there was no comparison between the bx and Mahindra max size equipment. After a week on a bx the b series kubota, 25 series mahindra and 2000 series deere were like a dream.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #28  
does mahindra offer a five year warranty cause they know you will need it?

So the best quality tractor will have no warranty whatsoever? This is a profound absurdity....or dry witty humor, I hope the later.

When comparing the BX25, it is best to compare it to the Max22. The Max22 has a larger engine than the BX25 and puts out just 1 HP less, but at 700 less rpm. At a more reasonable rpm, say 2000-2500 rpm, the Max 22 will make more HP than the BX25.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #29  
Daves tractor, can you tell us what happened to the series 16 ?did the max series replace the 16 series? reading the descriptions and options it seems real close to the max series

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #30  
Daves tractor, can you tell us what happened to the series 16 ?did the max series replace the 16 series? reading the descriptions and options it seems real close to the max series

The 1816, 2216 and 2516 have been phased out and in that general size or HP range is now the Max series. They do not call the 3016 or 3616 a Max series, although they are also Mitsubishi built.