Tractor sizing advice for race horse farm

/ Tractor sizing advice for race horse farm #1  

Stantron21

Tractor
None yet
Hello. I am looking for some advice on sizing a tractor along with what options I will need. I recently purchased a 40 acre parcel. It is half woods and half fields. 4 out of 5 fields are currently being planted with hay and maintained by a neighboring farmer. One of the 5 fields has not been cut for years and has a bunch of scrub brush. A few of the fields are on a slight slope

I will need to do the following things:
disc up abandoned field to get ready to plant hay
Dig post holes and prepare all fields for split rail fencing
Build and maintain a jog track in one of the fields (nothing special on the track just grated dirt and track surfacing)
Plow snow
Spread manure
Daily farm maintenance
Grass cutting and routine land maintenance

I was looking at some used b series kubotas. I do not want to buy anything new at this time. Any idea on a ball park on what I should expect to pay?

Regards,
Stan
Looking forward to any good advice out the

/ Tractor sizing advice for race horse farm #2  
Welcome to the forum Stan. Sounds to me like a "B" series may be a bit on the small side for what you plan. Will you be feeding round bales? Keep in mind the lift capacity of the loader if you are. I would personally be looking in the 40 to 50 hp range for what you plan.

MarkV

/ Tractor sizing advice for race horse farm #3  
30 - 50+hp $15k - $30k

Closer to 50hp if you will be lifting/moving large round bales. Closer to 30hp will do everything else.

I wanted as much tractor as I could get for around $15k, so I bought a L3800DT with loader and 5' mower for $16k. Absolutely no regrets!

/ Tractor sizing advice for race horse farm #4  
for what your wanting a tractor todo you need a min of a 50hp tractor.

/ Tractor sizing advice for race horse farm #5  
I have horses... You'll want a FEL (front end loader) with a bucket and forks. Horse keeping is a lot of moving bulk materials and pallets. With that in mind, a larger tractor is safer and more capable than a smaller machine. A cab is nice but more trouble when you must do a lot of dismounting. Plus it's expensive when you run into something.

/ Tractor sizing advice for race horse farm #6  
Stan,
I would look for a good 45 to 60 hp utility tractor for your uses, you could get by with something smaller but time is money. You need a larger tractor that will handle the chores faster.

About the split rail fence, horses would have fun with that I am sure. A good friend of mine had the split rail fence and has switched over to the flat plastic fence with the heavy wire cable in it. He has had the new stuff for about five years now and said it was one of the best decisions he has ever made, almost zero maintenance. Looks very good too.

/ Tractor sizing advice for race horse farm #7  
Hey there,

Tractor sizing depends entirely on how much money you wish to spend.

More is not necessarily more.

Just about anything would do what you need.
From a Te20 to a Quad-Trac
How much can you get away with spending?
Remember you will need implements and servicing, too.

Start there then see what's available.

:thumbsup:

/ Tractor sizing advice for race horse farm #8  
Hello. I am looking for some advice on sizing a tractor along with what options I will need. I recently purchased a 40 acre parcel. It is half woods and half fields. 4 out of 5 fields are currently being planted with hay and maintained by a neighboring farmer. One of the 5 fields has not been cut for years and has a bunch of scrub brush. A few of the fields are on a slight slope

I will need to do the following things:
disc up abandoned field to get ready to plant hay
Dig post holes and prepare all fields for split rail fencing
Build and maintain a jog track in one of the fields (nothing special on the track just grated dirt and track surfacing)
Plow snow
Spread manure
Daily farm maintenance
Grass cutting and routine land maintenance

I was looking at some used b series kubotas. I do not want to buy anything new at this time. Any idea on a ball park on what I should expect to pay?

Regards,
Stan
Looking forward to any good advice out the

My neighbor uses a nice Kubota L4400 that would handle your chores. The B-series might be too small for your needs. Kubotas are nice machines. My first tractor was a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST.
Good luck.