subcompact and compact backhoe owners I want to hear from you.....

/ subcompact and compact backhoe owners I want to hear from you..... #1  

barry1me

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I want to hear from the guys with SCUTs and CUTs that have backhoes and how they perform.

/ subcompact and compact backhoe owners I want to hear from you..... #2  
Works very well. I used mine for digging out stumps, now that is done, I use it mostly for cutting up trees (using the thumb) and digging ditches. Do you have any specific questions?

When you are ready to buy I have a great dealer to hook you up with.

/ subcompact and compact backhoe owners I want to hear from you..... #3  
I have a 7.5' Rhino, 18" bucket on a Kioti CK25 with loaded tires. First, these are not nearly as capable as an industrial backhoe. Don't expect it to toss around a 2000 lb stump. They aren't well suited to removing big stumps. They might do it, eventually, and it's pretty hard on them. However, they are quite effective for most homeowner needs, including stumps up about 15" or so. I think frame mount is imperative, as is loaded tires. Weight is king to keep the tractor well planted, else the hoe will push/drag it around. Good outrigging pads are essential too.

Tractor hydraulics plays a big role in performance. You want as much flow as you can get, at the highest pressures supported by the equipment. Rear remotes is the best setup to run the hoe from.

Reach is also important. Get the longest one your tractor can safely operate, else you'll be constantly moving the tractor and in some cases you just won't be able to reach what is needed, thus requiring manual digging or other such horrors.:eek:

Mine dismounts easily, in less than 5 minutes. Mounting is a harder, as you only have about 3/4" of side-to-side alignment allowance. Typically takes me 15 minutes or so to put it on, most of the time is just getting the tractor aligned with the mounting hooks.

Storage is a consideration. Mine is about 6' wide x 12' long when off the tractor, and of course immovable without machine. No matter where I put mine, it always seemed in the way. Had to finally build a structure just to store it in. So, if you plan to take it off, remember it doubles the storage space needed.

/ subcompact and compact backhoe owners I want to hear from you..... #4  
Another point: some tractors require removing the 3ph arms to install. Others don't. Mine doesn't.

/ subcompact and compact backhoe owners I want to hear from you.....
Great posts. Im looking for mostly homeowner work pulling out pine tree stumps in my yard (25+) and am trying to look at all of the factorys of SCUTs vs CUTs. I really like the JD 1026r for my general tasks but my dad has put some doubt in my mind that that little SCUT will do much with a backhoe.

/ subcompact and compact backhoe owners I want to hear from you..... #6  
Barry,
I have a 110tlb for backhoe work, does a good job for me. For what you need to do clearing the stumps I think you would be way better off to have someone come in and dig them for you with a full size machine and save yourself about $5000 or more. The backhoe on a 1026 or the 2520 is more of a toy but is handy if you wan't to plant shrubs and just fool around, best way to justify having these small hoes is "I wan't it". Nothing wrong with that either.

/ subcompact and compact backhoe owners I want to hear from you.....
Barry,
I have a 110tlb for backhoe work, does a good job for me. For what you need to do clearing the stumps I think you would be way better off to have someone come in and dig them for you with a full size machine and save yourself about $5000 or more. The backhoe on a 1026 or the 2520 is more of a toy but is handy if you wan't to plant shrubs and just fool around, best way to justify having these small hoes is "I wan't it". Nothing wrong with that either.

lol man you know me to well already. :D Im going to rent a BX25 for the day and see what I think of that setup and that will help me decide if I purchas a backhoe for my needs or not.

/ subcompact and compact backhoe owners I want to hear from you..... #8  
Until a couple weeks ago, I had a Kioti CK30 with Woods BH-70x backhoe with thumb. The Kioti is a heavy tractor for it's size, the tires were loaded and the rig worked very well. the bh was incredibly powerful and could still move the tractor around if you weren't careful, although it couldn't clear lift the rear end off the ground. Weight is a good thing for a TBL.

Attachments

• P3228166.jpg
    P3228166.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 679
   / subcompact and compact backhoe owners I want to hear from you..... #9  
I think you might want something bigger than a BX25. I would try to get one of the small to mid size excavators from your local rental to pop out the stumps. Once removed, you could use a smaller CUT to move them to a more permanent location. 25+ stumps is a lot of stumps

/ subcompact and compact backhoe owners I want to hear from you..... #10  
I think you might want something bigger than a BX25. I would try to get one of the small to mid size excavators from your local rental to pop out the stumps. Once removed, you could use a smaller CUT to move them to a more permanent location. 25+ stumps is a lot of stumps

As I understand it Barry wants to try out a subcompact machine to get a rough idea of their capabilities in general. Renting the small excavators will cost more than hiring an experienced excavating contractor with a 15 to 20klb hoe or excavator.