"package deals"

/ "package deals" #1  

LMan1967

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1643
What's yalls opinions on 'package deals?' (Tractor, FEL, several attachments and a trailer all in one).

Seems like a good way to 'get it over with' at one time, but are there some gotchas? Are the attachments of good quality?

Or is it better to buy the 'other stuff' independently?

/ "package deals" #2  
I see those "packages" in different papers all the time. Just from seeing those it looks as if everything except the tractor is usually econo lower end quality including the trailer. Which may be ok if that's all you need. Hard to tell if it's a deal (I doubt it) since all they usually show is monthly payments and not a total price.
Personally, they aren't for me. I would rather pick everything that I want and then let the dealer give me a package price.

/ "package deals" #3  
There is no two ways about it when it comes to fel. Because they don't simply bolt up with universal brackets and finding the right combination can be difficult to do at any value, if you want one, save yourself the hassle and buy the loader with your tractor.

Next comes implements. Personally, I like to piecemeal those. I have yet to find the perfect combination in a package. I do however think it a good idea to get a basic implement like a rotary cutter with the tractor. That is if you will be cutting grass. One suggestion, don't put a finish mower on a unit with a loader. You WILL hit things.

In my experience, most anything can be done with a few implements (cutter, disk, loader, auger, spreader and drag). I can do anything that is necessary with those implements. Maybe it would be fun to pick a project and see if these would do it all. I think it is possible. From there the use of implements increases the precision of your machine.

Of course price comes into play as does time. If you are certain all you will be doing is landscape or gardening, a package may be the way to go. If you don't have time to shop or if you don't have the ability to transport stuff it may be worth it. For me, I do much better buying implements to fit the project, then duplicating the project rather than defining the machine first.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

/ "package deals"
Thanks for the input. I won't belabor my 'situation' here again but I know I will need a box blade, a rotary cutter, and a FEL no matter what I end up doing. I have 50 acres and need to cut brush, move rocks, and maintain trails outside of special 'projects.'

In the future I will need a PHD but thats later on, I can wait on that.

Ive seen 'package deals' with all the above on a trailer, but as I said the quality of the attachments is a concern. Im wondering if the dealer is cheaping out on the cutter and trailer, for ex, in order to make the package price more attractive.

Guess I'll have to research attachments more! :laughing::confused2:

/ "package deals" #5  
Depends on the dealer and what they can put together for you. When I bought my Mahindra 5530 4wd Turbo, it came as a package deal with a FEL,
a Bison 8' HD twin hydraulics BB, two remotes and brush gaurd. Dealer does not carry the Bison brand but is able to get whatever I wanted. Financed that purchase, then 6mos later bought a 10' pull type rotatry Mahindra (Kodiak) mower, use this on 80 acres of rolling palouse.

/ "package deals" #6  
If you are going with the front loader, maybe you should consider a grader blade rather than a box. Some graders tilt side to side as well as angle. Boxes move dirt and rock but loaders do it better. You get the picture. I'm not sure about the package aspect.

/ "package deals" #7  
I try to approach it like BigBoyinMS, it may not be the "cheapest", but I get what I want for a pretty good price.

/ "package deals" #8  
Talk to the dealer. I went the "package route" and upgraded some of the implements in the package for minimal increase in price. My dealer was great in starting with the package price and then adding only the price differential of piece upgrading at same discount from retail. Really depends on the dealer but this was best of both worlds for me...... package price and specific implements I wanted.