Buying Advice JD5045D, Kubota MX4700 or NH Workmaster 45

/ JD5045D, Kubota MX4700 or NH Workmaster 45
Thanks Rolling Farm! Yeah, I would love to have a FEL, but I also feel that I would want FWD to go along with it and I am trying to keep the cost of deer hunting, under $225/lb of venison, LOL. But you are right, about the many uses of one!!

/ JD5045D, Kubota MX4700 or NH Workmaster 45 #12  
Thanks Rolling Farm! Yeah, I would love to have a FEL, but I also feel that I would want FWD to go along with it and I am trying to keep the cost of deer hunting, under $225/lb of venison, LOL. But you are right, about the many uses of one!!

FEL is very handy, but you're right, 4wd works well with a loader. I'm in the woods a lot with both our Kubotas, logging and clearing logging roads and food plots. I like the L3800DT best, because of it's smaller size. With the FEL off 90% of the time, takes 5 minutes to take it off, or put it on. Ya really should consider a smaller (30-40hp) 4wd rig, might be less money?

Thanks Bluegill ... I will look into that one too. The reason I wanted a little heavier and more hp tractor is for sub soiling. We have the good ole Georgia Red Clay that can be hard as a rock. Add to it, the fact that this is "leased hunting property" for us, all our food plots are put on "loading docks" and trails. 2 years ago we had the paper company come in and thin every 5th row of tree's and turned our food plots into cement. The Georgia Clay does create a natural hardpan on it's own, but this sure didn't help any.

Pile on our 5th year of drought down here and a good sub soiling will help break the hard pan and allow the plots to retain more moisture. All the other equipment we have to use is pretty light duty. Unfortunately we can't do any cutting or clearing to optimize our food plots, although I'd love too!

/ JD5045D, Kubota MX4700 or NH Workmaster 45 #14  
... here and a good sub soiling will help break the hard pan and allow the plots to retain more moisture. All the other equipment we have to use is pretty light duty. Unfortunately we can't do any cutting or clearing to optimize our food plots, although I'd love too!

If you want to use a 5 shank chisel plow you will need a good heavy 50 hp tractor. The Kubota model is not. Don't know about the NH. Consider the Deere with water and antifreeze in the tires. And try to order one with bigger than 13.6 tires. Go to the 14.9 or even 16.9 tires. Maybe even go to the 55D.
Alternatively look at buying a good used Mahindra 5500 or 6000 2wd or a Zetor any of their tractors would do it - reliability and parts I hear are very good. Need 50 hp min and alot of weight to pull the chisel plow. There are alot of Deere 5000 series used 2 wd tractors out there that have the frame and weight to pull the chisel plow.

Last edited:
   / JD5045D, Kubota MX4700 or NH Workmaster 45 #15  
I would consider a good used tractor without a fel such as a Deere 820 or 830 or slightly larger. This appears to be for limited use and these older models are simple enough to be bullet proof and dependable. I would advise getting one with power steering then change out the fluids, filters and install a good new battery. You should be able to find a good one for about $10,000 less than a new 5045D. I have a 1973 820 which is heading for its 40th birthday and it is as good today as it ever was. In the Deere line the new 5045D is very similar to the older models, simple transmissions, high weight to hp yet simple tractors so not much to go wrong with any of them. I also think the older Ford tractors are another good choice.

Buying new and at a higher price point I agree with Bluegill2 that a 4x4 tractor could be slightly smaller and work as well. Any new tractor I would buy would have 4x4 and either a power reverser or hydrostatic transmission these are much more nimble working in the trees. I should say that the new 4520 is much easier to manuever than the older 820 or a new 5045D. My point is if you are going to buy old technology why not buy used?

If you want to use a 5 shank chisel plow you will need a good heavy 50 hp tractor. The Kubota model is not. Don't know about the NH. Consider the Deere with water and antifreeze in the tires. And try to order one with bigger than 13.6 tires. Go to the 14.9 or even 16.9 tires. Maybe even go to the 55D.
Alternatively look at buying a good used Mahindra 5500 or 6000 2wd or a Zetor any of their tractors would do it - reliability and parts I hear are very good. Need 50 hp min and alot of weight to pull the chisel plow. There are alot of Deere 5000 series used 2 wd tractors out there that have the frame and weight to pull the chisel plow.

Thanks michellesc! I am keeping my eyes open for something good in the "used" market too!

I would consider a good used tractor without a fel such as a Deere 820 or 830 or slightly larger. This appears to be for limited use and these older models are simple enough to be bullet proof and dependable. I would advise getting one with power steering then change out the fluids, filters and install a good new battery. You should be able to find a good one for about $10,000 less than a new 5045D. I have a 1973 820 which is heading for its 40th birthday and it is as good today as it ever was. In the Deere line the new 5045D is very similar to the older models, simple transmissions, high weight to hp yet simple tractors so not much to go wrong with any of them. I also think the older Ford tractors are another good choice.

Buying new and at a higher price point I agree with Bluegill2 that a 4x4 tractor could be slightly smaller and work as well. Any new tractor I would buy would have 4x4 and either a power reverser or hydrostatic transmission these are much more nimble working in the trees. I should say that the new 4520 is much easier to manuever than the older 820 or a new 5045D. My point is if you are going to buy old technology why not buy used?

Good points Jenkinsph! Thanks

/ JD5045D, Kubota MX4700 or NH Workmaster 45 #18  
I bought a 5045D with FEL back in '09. Have not regretted it at all! It's a workhorse...