Buying Advice Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor
Interesting points. I won't be plowing fields or planting seed (I only have 2 acres, only 1/2 of it is lawn and flower garden). My main need for a machine (skid steer/TLB) is for moving dirt around (a LOT of rock in my soil, so there's chances that I'll have a heavy bucket load), working on gathering firewood (I use a fireplace all winter to save $$ on oil heat) and other odd-jobs that require power to lift.

So...I guess my MAIN requirements are lifting power at this time. I would love to have a back hoe, chipper (tons of brush in my forest) and maybe splitter (although I have a tow-behind 25ton horizontal that I use frequently). This leans me back and forth between the skid steer (compact but powerful; implements extremely expensive) vs. the tractor TLB/FEL (not as powerful, but very versatile and implements are much more affordable).

Eric

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #22  
This is advice from experience.

Problem i see with the skid steer in MY applications is that you have to buy the expensive attachements. What does a Hydro bush hog cost $6k? even renting one you will have to rent it several times a summer to cut your fields at say $50/day. that will get pretty pricy. Even as a disk or plow a skid steer will not be optimal. Yea you can buy those things for it, or use the bucket, but your not going to find these attachments used all over the place like say a 5ft pto bushhog or a 5 ft disk harrow for 3pt.

These are the problems i see with a skid steer. But your right if all you want to do is dig stumps, move dirt, and lift logs and rocks you cant beat a skid steer for power and manuverability.

Those were also some problems that I have come to with having the skid steer, i want to mow brush around the property but don't want to shell out $3500 for a mid level bush hog. So I am working on making a 3 point hitch w/hydraulic PTO adapter. I kept the John Deere imatch from my Yanmar and will mount it to a blank SSQA plate along with the hydraulic gear box. So far I almost have everything, I just need to get some tube steel, hydraulic lines with quick couplers, and a hydraulic relief valve so the mower can spin down when the hydraulic flow is shut off. Sounds complicated and expensive but in the end I should be in it around $700-$750 and have it completely built in a couple days. Plus I will then gain the ability to run most 3 point attachments and save some money when it comes time to buy a mower.

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #23  
Interesting points. I won't be plowing fields or planting seed (I only have 2 acres, only 1/2 of it is lawn and flower garden). My main need for a machine (skid steer/TLB) is for moving dirt around (a LOT of rock in my soil, so there's chances that I'll have a heavy bucket load), working on gathering firewood (I use a fireplace all winter to save $$ on oil heat) and other odd-jobs that require power to lift.

So...I guess my MAIN requirements are lifting power at this time. I would love to have a back hoe, chipper (tons of brush in my forest) and maybe splitter (although I have a tow-behind 25ton horizontal that I use frequently). This leans me back and forth between the skid steer (compact but powerful; implements extremely expensive) vs. the tractor TLB/FEL (not as powerful, but very versatile and implements are much more affordable).

Eric

As far as the log splitter goes, I have used one that you run from inside the cab of the skid steer, no need to man handle the wood, just sit back in the cab and split it via a push button or foot control (depending on what skid steer you get).

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #24  
I mentioned this as i thought i read that you were thinking of doing foodplots for money. This is a huge business is tractoring aroune here. But also is mowing. Folks who have 3-10 acres may have a tiny 1-2 acre pasture that they want cut but have no tractor and dont want to mow with a lawnmower every few weeks so they pay to bushhog it once a year. If you have a tractor you capture this business. You wont get rich doing this but if there close you can run up there and mow it in a few hours or so and make a quick $100.

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #25  
1*It's a refurbished Yanmar tractor.
2*I use a fireplace all winter to save $$ on oil heat)
3*I have a BIG TEX 35SA single axle landscape trailer, so I will need to be able to transport the tractor as well (max weight capacity is 3K lbs)
1*I'd Stay Away from refurbished cause it dosen't mean rebuilt or restored like they want you to think it does.
Usually all you get is a little new paint and maybe some cosmetic work.
2*Don't forget you can run this in your tractor .
Its the same stuff that cost 25 to 50 cents more at the gas station .
3*You need a 7000 pound equipment or car hauler trailer with brakes on all 4 wheels to haul a TLB on.
You also need a 3/4 ton pick up to pull the trailer with .
A Skid steer is much heavier than a TLB say 10000 to 12000.
A 7000 pound trailer won't handle that so you need to move up to a 12000 pound trailer and a 1 ton truck.
You have to be careful of weight restrictions in order to avoid having to go with a CDL license and all the hassle and regulations that go along with that .

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #26  
A Skid steer is much heavier than a TLB say 10000 to 12000.

A JD 320D SSL (68hp) weighs 6600#
A JD 110TLB (43hp) weights 7800#

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #27  
OP / Eric - Just checking searchtempest for you around your area. There appear to be several good tractors for sale!

I am going to see the JD 1050 tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #29  
If it was me I would buy the 1050 tlb package as it is more versatile for a first piece of machinery. I might consider more specialized equipment afterwards but a tlb has a lot of bang for the buck.

Sounds like you really want a tractor (instead of a skid steer) for the wide variety of tasks you want to do. The 3-pt hitch and rear PTO that come standard on CUTs really opens up a lot of possibilities that are otherwise extremely expensive to attempt with a skid steer.

However, your overall desires present some contradictions. But don't despair! I had the same set of goals when I did my own tractor search this past winter.

Your already know your price of under $10k is going to keep you stuck with a well used/older tractor.

However you want to do some pretty serious work. Dig big rocks out of the ground? Smooth large areas of dirt? Clear a lot of brush? These are all tasks where the larger (read: heavier) and stronger the tractor, the easier they are to do. 25 HP would probably be the bare minimum you want. 35+ HP would be better, but you'll be hard pressed to afford it. And with proper tractor weight to match, you're going to be well over 3k pounds (with loaded tires, front loader, and an implement or two coming along on the trailer).

My advice: forget about your current trailer as a limitation for how big a tractor you can get. You can easily find a used trailer on craigslist for around $1000 that will have dual 3.5 or 5k lb axles. Or, rent one for $50 a day from nearby rental places. Sounds like you have a good half ton truck to pull with, right?

Now on to the advice you actually need: what models to look for.

JD 770, 850, 950s are all good.
Kubota "L" series tractors. Skip the Bs and Bx's. They are too small and light.
Mahindra 15 and 16 series (as in xx15 model number) are awesome. Some Cub Cadets are the same tractors, made by Mitsubishi.
Ford / New Holland 17xx or 19xx tractors are also great.
I don't recommend off-brands (montana, nortrac, etc). Some have great results with them. Good for them! But they are less refined, and les reliable.

What I did to search for mine was: use search tempest to canvas your entire local region for tractors. Search twice a day, and try to be the first to respond to anything promising - get out there and see it in person if it looks good! When you see a tractor that might work out, google: "tractor name/model specs" and you should find a listing for tractordata.com. At a minimum you'll find the tractor dimensions and engine specs. Hopefully also the primary loader specs.

I did this routine for almost two months, and was ready to give up on finding an affordable large tractor. Then came a good deal on a low hour, 30 HP beaut for $10k. I didn't wait. Called right away, made an offer, accepted, and got up there as soon as I could. Over the next couple months of still monitoring local used tractor sales, I came to realize I got a truly fantastic deal.

Good luck to ya! Hopefully you will be having this adventure soon:

IMG_0280.jpg

I just picked up this beauty for $8,500 on Friday.

1988 JD 1050 / 2000 HRS / LOADER / BACKHOE

I don't think I did too bad...<G>
JD1050-1.jpgJD1050-2.jpgJD1050-3.jpgJD1050-4.jpgJD1050-5.jpgJD1050-6.jpg