Buying Advice Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #1  

Eric67ct

Bronze Member
Tractor
1983 John Deere 212, 1988 John Deere 1050
Hi,
I am new to TBN and I need some expert advice on what I am looking for under 10K. Please give me the make, model, years and any other pertinent info. Here is what I am looking to do:

-Dig property to remove rock (we have a lot of ledge in my part of the state)
-Lift logs (upwards of 500+ lbs) for firewood
-Assist with tree support while falling trees
-Smooth out property and lay out topsoil
-Clear heavy thorny brush and clear out brush on an occasional basis
-I have a BIG TEX 35SA single axle landscape trailer, so I will need to be able to transport the tractor as well (max weight capacity is 3K lbs)

Wish List
-has to be 4x4 (I live in rural CT where terrain can be unforgiving)
-PTO (I would like to get a brush cutting attachment down the road;log splitter; chipper)
-must come with loader (lift around 1500 lbs) and backhoe
-preferably 25+ HP diesel
-I know it will be an older model, but I'd like a reliable brand.

I've also entertained interest in the Bobcat/Case skid-steers. They seem to be decent in price, but I am not sure if that's something you'd all recommend.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:
   / Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #2  
It's going to be hard to find a 25HP diesel under 10k with a loader that is in good shape. You might have luck on Craigslist or some other site.

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor
What about a BobCat? I see quite a few Case and Bobcats on CL. Some asking around 10K and some are less. I know they're pretty versatile for attachments too.

I just saw this ad. Too good to be true?

This is a NorTrac tractor-254(25HP) 4wd,Diesal powered,398 hrs,category 1-3 point hitch,PTO. new battery. Comes with 2 different size buckets,hard canaopy included. Have all owners manuals. Runs great,ready to use. 6,000.00 or B.O Email for more info.

I just found this ad on my local CL for a Case 1845 Uni-loader Skidsteer - he's asking $8,100

Thoughts?

i have a case1845 uniloader skid steer in exellent shape well mantained stored inside machine runs new tires are in great shape ready for work nice machine oh and did i mention its diesel best resonable offer takes it

5L25I45G73E83L53N5c667535244262cc1c77.jpg5L85Ia5F73M73Ld3Jcc66e09a28dd668c1ab2.jpg5L75Je5M93Jd3pa3l2c66bf37f0a6091e1530.jpg5G85M25J13Gb3If3J5c66f3704986b64310e6.jpg

Thanks,
Eric

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #6  
Hi, You might be too light on a 25hp tractor and an expected lift of 1500 lbs..Not enough of anything to do that kind of work..Frame ,tires engine, loader??ECT..Look at a larger rig or you might be at 1000 lbs lift? Shop it it out...I know i was surpised at stalling out mine on its arrival??

I guess I'm confused as to getting a TLB 4x4 or a skid steer? I would like to have a backhoe (dig up rock/brush/stumps) and a skid steer can't do that w/o a backhoe attachment. Since I have been so used to having a standard L&G tractor, my JD 212, I am at a loss as to what kind of machine will suffice with my budget and knowledge. :confused:

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #8  
Sounds like you really want a tractor (instead of a skid steer) for the wide variety of tasks you want to do. The 3-pt hitch and rear PTO that come standard on CUTs really opens up a lot of possibilities that are otherwise extremely expensive to attempt with a skid steer.

However, your overall desires present some contradictions. But don't despair! I had the same set of goals when I did my own tractor search this past winter.

Your already know your price of under $10k is going to keep you stuck with a well used/older tractor.

However you want to do some pretty serious work. Dig big rocks out of the ground? Smooth large areas of dirt? Clear a lot of brush? These are all tasks where the larger (read: heavier) and stronger the tractor, the easier they are to do. 25 HP would probably be the bare minimum you want. 35+ HP would be better, but you'll be hard pressed to afford it. And with proper tractor weight to match, you're going to be well over 3k pounds (with loaded tires, front loader, and an implement or two coming along on the trailer).

My advice: forget about your current trailer as a limitation for how big a tractor you can get. You can easily find a used trailer on craigslist for around $1000 that will have dual 3.5 or 5k lb axles. Or, rent one for $50 a day from nearby rental places. Sounds like you have a good half ton truck to pull with, right?

Now on to the advice you actually need: what models to look for.

JD 770, 850, 950s are all good.
Kubota "L" series tractors. Skip the Bs and Bx's. They are too small and light.
Mahindra 15 and 16 series (as in xx15 model number) are awesome. Some Cub Cadets are the same tractors, made by Mitsubishi.
Ford / New Holland 17xx or 19xx tractors are also great.
I don't recommend off-brands (montana, nortrac, etc). Some have great results with them. Good for them! But they are less refined, and les reliable.

What I did to search for mine was: use search tempest to canvas your entire local region for tractors. Search twice a day, and try to be the first to respond to anything promising - get out there and see it in person if it looks good! When you see a tractor that might work out, google: "tractor name/model specs" and you should find a listing for tractordata.com. At a minimum you'll find the tractor dimensions and engine specs. Hopefully also the primary loader specs.

I did this routine for almost two months, and was ready to give up on finding an affordable large tractor. Then came a good deal on a low hour, 30 HP beaut for $10k. I didn't wait. Called right away, made an offer, accepted, and got up there as soon as I could. Over the next couple months of still monitoring local used tractor sales, I came to realize I got a truly fantastic deal.

Good luck to ya! Hopefully you will be having this adventure soon:

IMG_0280.jpg

Nice setup! I hope to find a good deal one of these days. Searching very time-consuming though. I know that higher HP is the way to go, but maybe I could start with something like this and eventually work my way up to a larger HP tractor. What do you think of this? It's a refurbished Yanmar tractor. This guy has (2) models available.

1st Model
Price:$7,000
Date Posted:06/08/12
Description:
FOR SALE IS A YANMAR MODEL YM1500D, 4X4 COMPACT TRACTOR, 19HP YANMAR DIESEL ENGINE. TOTAL OF 6 SPEEDS FORWARD AND 2 REVERSE. NEW FRONT LOADER AND REAR 3PT HITCH, 2 SPEED 540 & 770 REAR PTO AND A CAT 1 3PT HITCH. TRACTOR HAS ONLY 16 HOURS ON IT.
YANMAR_YM1500D-6.jpgYANMAR_YM1500D-5.jpgYANMAR_YM1500D-4.jpgYANMAR_YM1500D-3.jpgYANMAR_YM1500D-2.jpgYANMAR_YM1500D-1.jpg

2nd Model
Price:$10,500
Date Posted:05/28/12
Description:
FOR SALE IS A YANMAR MODEL 1700 COMPACT TRACTOR, 4X4 WITH NEW LOADER,REAR PTO,CAT. 1 3PT HITCH AND A MASSEY/FERGUSON BACKHOE. TRACTOR HAS APPRO 16 HOURS ON IT. LIKE NEW CONDITION. PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL ME FOR MORE INFORMATION ON TRACTOR. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED.
YANMAR_YM1700-8.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-7.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-6.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-5.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-4.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-3.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-2.jpgYANMAR_YM1700-1.jpg

/ Newbie TBN looking for advice on 4x4 tractor #10  
Hmmmm. Both tractors have 16 hours on them? More than 4 pictures, means they weren't craigslist ads?

My first instinct is just that both are very small and lightweight tractors. It's not to say that you can't do some serious work - but it will undoubtedly take you longer vs a larger machine.

That backhoe looks decent, but is only mounted on the 3-pt hitch. It could probably tear the tractor in half that way if you were really aggressive with it. Would recommend you fabricate a sub frame mount if you end up going that way.

Might be worth a test drive though. I just tried using searchtempest.com to check your area (CT) for used tractors. Yikes, man! The scammers are out in force over there (all the listings for new tractors priced between $4400 and $4900. Obviously all scams... why bother cluttering up the lisitings? ugh.

Found a couple things though.
ford 1710 tractor with loader
Ford 2000 Tractor
john deere tractor
Kubota BX32 Tractor w/ upgrades
Tractor

Happy searching. :)