Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Snapper 8hp RER

Default Re: Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy?

Does anyone know anything about Columbia lawn tractors and how durable/reliable they are?

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by canlis View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Columbia lawn tractors and how durable/reliable they are?
    Never heard of them......
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45SC

My B&S powered, hydrostatic Craftsman is now 12 or 13 years old. Over those years, I've had to have the hydrosatic trans rebuilt, the starter motor and ignition switch replaced and the front (pressed-metal) axle replaced. Otherwise it has run pretty well. In addition to my very sloped yard, I mow a considerable amount of rough trails and pasture fence boundary; on the advice of my mechanic, I have stopped mowing the larger (>1/2" or so) saplings growing in abandoned trail beds.
    I've been surprised at the logevity of the 20.5hp B&S engine, considering that I'm kind of slack about maintenance.

I wish my lawn "tractor" had a cast front axle, a three-blade mower deck and an engine with an oil filter...of course, I'd also prefer having a commercial-grade 4WD ZT, but that's not going to happen unless I win the lottery.
    BOB

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by canlis View Post
    I have owned a Snapper 8hp rear engine rider mower for 28 years and it finally went bad on me. I am currently shopping around for a new lawn tractor to mow 3/4 acre yard which is primarily all flat. Thus far I have looked at entry-level Snappers, John Deere,and Husquvarna. However, in reading some user reviews, it appears that these brands have had a number of reliability and durability problems ranging from engine,transmission,belt breakage/slippage,poor deck welding, and poor manufacture support. I understand that Toro is now produced by MTD instead of wheelhorse and as a result quality has suffered. Can someone suggest a brand to buy because it seems that all of the above have some issues. I need your help. I initially was thinking that maybe I should stick with the Snapper products but it appears that now they are owned by Briggs and Stratton, they too have suffered from poor quality .Thank you!
    I'm still using a 15yr old murray. Love the mower and as long as I can keep it operation on the cheap I will do so. it was a 700$ walmart mower back when.. and when it goes.. I'm seriously considering repalcing it with .. well.. an 800$ ( inflation ) mower. I shopped around at the beginning of the season to see what was out. I looked at home depot, lowes, kmart and walmart... if you check around you will likely find each store has basically a similar offering in each price range. in many cases. you will find some oems that all are using one manufacturer.. like MTD for instance.. check those.. as they will have common parts support. the more similar units sold.. the better parts will be.. etc.

soundguy

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Soundguy, with all those REAL tractors you have, it surprises me that you mow with a $700 Murray....

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    Soundguy, with all those REAL tractors you have, it surprises me that you mow with a $700 Murray....
    I can't get a 95hp tractor with a batwing into my front yard.

in fact.. i can't even get a cub with belly mower in there reasonably. the 44" IH mower will fit betweent he house and fence, but there are some areas I couldn't make turns , and would have to be super carefull around the ac.

thus the rider mower just gets to mow around the house and trim up and front ROW along the fence line.

I DO use a tractor to mow the pasture, and causeway strip between my pasture and the neighbor, and the rest of the front of the ROW in fromt of my pasture.. been doing it with a 1955 ford 950 trike and 5' mower, and a 78' 4600 with 6' mower.. depending on how I feel... gas or diesel..

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I'm still using a 15yr old murray. Love the mower and as long as I can keep it operation on the cheap I will do so. it was a 700$ walmart mower back when.. and when it goes.. I'm seriously considering repalcing it with .. well.. an 800$ ( inflation ) mower. I shopped around at the beginning of the season to see what was out. I looked at home depot, lowes, kmart and walmart... if you check around you will likely find each store has basically a similar offering in each price range. in many cases. you will find some oems that all are using one manufacturer.. like MTD for instance.. check those.. as they will have common parts support. the more similar units sold.. the better parts will be.. etc.

soundguy
    I completely agree....*I bought my 20HP Murray Mower with a 46 " deck from Home Depot in 2000 for $999.00 and it is running strong....just oil changes along with blades...never have had a belt go bad yet....knock on wood...I still have a KGrow 14 hp tractor my FIL bought from KMart in 1994 and it runs great...no issues...
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    IHC Cub, Cub Cadet 7304 w/FEL, Cub Cadet 1415, Cub Cadet Tank M60, CAT D3C

Have a middle 80's Cub Cadet model 1415 w/46" deck. Has really been good mower. Minor repairs, but it's over 25 years old and still does great. Most mowers that I see now have hydro transmissions, have never owned one of those and am a little reluctant to abandon the old fashioned gear transmission. If I knew that I could get another mower that was built well enough to dependably last 25+ years, wouldn't mind the price. Am partial to Cub Cadet as I also have a 7304 compact tractor and a mid 70's International Cub row crop tractor. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    I completely agree....*I bought my 20HP Murray Mower with a 46 " deck from Home Depot in 2000 for $999.00 and it is running strong....just oil changes along with blades...never have had a belt go bad yet....knock on wood...I still have a KGrow 14 hp tractor my FIL bought from KMart in 1994 and it runs great...no issues...
    mines inbetweenthe kgro and your murray age wise. I put a deck belt on last year.. and of course.. it's seen many blades. i did have a spindle strip out one time and i re-threaded it...

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Soundguy...We have some good ones but I know you maintain yours like I do mine....I have friends that never touch their lawn tractors or their big guy tractors and then complain when something goes wrong...LOL
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast