Buying Advice Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy?

/ Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy? #1  

canlis

Tractor
Snapper 8hp RER
I have owned a Snapper 8hp rear engine rider mower for 28 years and it finally went bad on me. I am currently shopping around for a new lawn tractor to mow 3/4 acre yard which is primarily all flat. Thus far I have looked at entry-level Snappers, John Deere,and Husquvarna. However, in reading some user reviews, it appears that these brands have had a number of reliability and durability problems ranging from engine,transmission,belt breakage/slippage,poor deck welding, and poor manufacture support. I understand that Toro is now produced by MTD instead of wheelhorse and as a result quality has suffered. Can someone suggest a brand to buy because it seems that all of the above have some issues. I need your help. I initially was thinking that maybe I should stick with the Snapper products but it appears that now they are owned by Briggs and Stratton, they too have suffered from poor quality .Thank you!

/ Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy?
In addition to the above info,My price range for a new lawn tractor is $1500-$2000. So far I have looked at the John Deere D130(22hp), Husqvarna YTH23v48(23hp), Snapper LT2342(23 hp),Snapper LT2446(24hp),Snapper SPX2042(20hp), Snapper SPX2246(22hp), Snapper RER12.5hp/28"cut, Toro LX423(20hp),Toro LX427(20hp) and Toro LX468(22hp). Has anyone had any experience with either of these brands/models? Based on some research for the sake of convenience, I believe I should concentrate on a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. However,in terms of engine choices, which is better( Briggs&Stratton Professional Series preferably with V-twin cylinders or a KOHLER Courage)? I was told by a technician that the D100 series John Deeres were designed to last only 4-5 years and if I wanted to get the durability of my old 8hp Snapper RER, I would have to step up to the X300 series which start at $3000. I found that hard to believe and will not pay $3000 for a tractor. In looking at reviews of the other brands, there have been major concerns by consumers with all of them such as transmission/engine, electrical,poor customer support from the manufacturer/retailer to name a few. Therefore, I am confused in which brand/model I should buy given their current costs. Please, if anyone has suggestions, I would truly appreciate your help.

/ Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy? #3  
Bought one made by MTD back in 1998, had a twin Briggs that had a valve seat come loose a few years ago. Swapped engines and still running it. It has had a rough life but been a decent mower. Going to have to replace it soon but feel like I got my moneys worth.

/ Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy? #4  
i would look at used on Craigslist for $800-1500 you can get a sturdy Garden Tractor from John Deere or Cub Cadet. I would look for JD 316-318 or X304 which is newer, then Cub series 1811-1862 with Kohler, or 1641 with Briggs, or the newer 2000 or 3000 series garden tractors.

Here's several.

Cub Cadet Tractor

John Deere 316s 48 inch decks

314 John Deere Tractor

/ Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy? #5  
I bought a JD L120 from Home Depot about 8 years ago which is the older D130 relative. It has the 20hp Briggs Intek engine. Within the two year warranty period, the main output drive shaft seal started leaking... all over my garage floor. :mad: Deere came and picked it up and fixed it no charge and no attitude. Surprisingly, that's all the problems I've had with it. I keep it inside, keep it clean, and change the oil about every other year. It only has 140 hours on it. I don't baby it, but it's had a pretty easy life. Been a good mower for me. Better than I expected after I read some of the reviews on it. :eek:

/ Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy? #6  
i would look at used on Craigslist for $800-1500 you can get a sturdy Garden Tractor from John Deere or Cub Cadet. I would look for JD 316-318 or X304 which is newer, then Cub series 1811-1862 with Kohler, or 1641 with Briggs, or the newer 2000 or 3000 series garden tractors.

Here's several.

Cub Cadet Tractor

John Deere 316s 48 inch decks

314 John Deere Tractor

As an owner of an '89 Deere 318, I can vouch for the ruggedness of the JD 300 series. However, we don't know how handy OP is and he may be better suited to buying a new tractor that is under warranty. Canlis, mowing 3/4 acre of flatland is basically not a strain for ANYTHING you buy in the $2,000 range. Only you can tell us how handy you are at working on equipment or what other uses you have in mind for your equipment. Onan parts prices are simply obscene for the 300 Deere series, and they are very heavy gasoline eaters. I am pretty sure anything labeled Husqvarna is manufactured by MTD (or AYP) as are the majority of Craftsman tractors. You may want to check out the Lawn and Garden forums here on TBN for further information.

/ Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy? #7  
For that money you will not get one that will last like your old one did. You will need to spend 5K on a lower end commercial ZTR to get that kind of reliability.

If it were me I would buy a Husky on clearnace somewhere for about $1000 or less and just plan on replacing it every 7-8 years. That is what I have done with Craftsman mowers and some other brands. This is coming from a guy who works on these things part time. Under 5K, its just throw away junk.

Chris

/ Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy? #8  
Fathers Day is Sunday. Haul your butt over to Sears for their annual sale.

Try to avoid the B&S powered units. Mine has not been great.

/ Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy? #9  
I've had a Husqvarna YTH1642 since 2004. I use it to mow an acre all summer and was using it to push a 42 inch snow blower up here in snow country. Haven't had one problem with it. Just change the oil and 1 tuneup. It has around 400 hours on it. Snow removal is now done with a cabbed tractor.:thumbsup:

/ Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy? #10  
If it were me I would buy a Husky on clearnace somewhere for about $1000 or less and just plan on replacing it every 7-8 years. That is what I have done with Craftsman mowers and some other brands. This is coming from a guy who works on these things part time. Under 5K, its just throw away junk.

Chris

I agree with this actually especially if one wants a new unit and is not into making occasional repairs that the used units will require over time. I suggested these as they are more machine for the money and tend to run for a long time with care.

Between the neighbors they have a JD Sabre and a Craftsman and a Husky - all pretty much the same machines. The Sabre has 530 hrs over 10 years and was mistreated by the "boys" but it still runs - just did the valve adjust, plugs and oil change this year on two of these machines and they run fine.

Carl