john deere 5083e vs 5065m

/ john deere 5083e vs 5065m #1  

jayhawkhusker

Tractor
None
I have about 160 acres, need a tractor for shredding, discing, loader work to fill in washouts/bale moving etc, snow removal, pto work. Was looking at the 5065m and then realized for 3k less I could get the 5083e (both with cab and loader). I think the 5065 will have enough HP, but it seems like it never hurts to get a little more than you think you need, and given the fact that the 5085e is 34k less, I thought I should at least consider it. Any thoughts?

/ john deere 5083e vs 5065m #2  
The M series are somewhat heavier tractors and have more bells and whistles available as options. The 5083e is a basic cabbed utility tractor. Well, that's how Deere sees it. I see at somewhat above basic. I think the 5083e is a heck of good deal in a full size tractor. Go sit in both. If you were just getting the base 5065m without much in the way of options, I would probably get the 5083e instead. The one feature of the M series I really like is the PowerPlus transmission and that alone would push me into an M. However, you have to get the 75M as the P+ is not an option on the 65. That starts to run the bill up a lot.

/ john deere 5083e vs 5065m #3  
Went through a similar decision with the 5065M vs 5065E. Wound up getting a good deal on a 5303, same as 5065E, and have been very pleased. Was looking for 65 hp range, 4wd and open station. Price difference was around $10k. No regrets so far.

/ john deere 5083e vs 5065m #4  
You don't mention if you're looking for 2WD or 4WD. My wife decided to go with an 5065M because of the deal she got on it and liked the way handled, she can drive anything. She drove the 5083E 4WD and felt it was a bit rough around the edges, noisier, didn't shift quite as well. Anyway she really didn't need 4WD so she sprung for a new 2011 5065M with cab and Power Reverser for $32K. MSRP on this tractor is about $45K. She had looked at Kubota but this deal was too good to pass up. Not sure how many are still out there available but as soon as she said get one he slapped her name on one in VA and it came in today.

Here's the thread about it:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-buying-pricing/248312-looks-like-farm-getting-its.html

/ john deere 5083e vs 5065m #5  
The M series are somewhat heavier tractors and have more bells and whistles available as options. The 5083e is a basic cabbed utility tractor. Well, that's how Deere sees it. I see at somewhat above basic. I think the 5083e is a heck of good deal in a full size tractor. Go sit in both. If you were just getting the base 5065m without much in the way of options, I would probably get the 5083e instead. The one feature of the M series I really like is the PowerPlus transmission and that alone would push me into an M. However, you have to get the 75M as the P+ is not an option on the 65. That starts to run the bill up a lot.

That is correct, there's four transmissions that's listed in the brochure or on the Build Your Own @ JD that's not available on the 5065M, the 32F/16R PowerPlus PowrReverser Transmission - 540/540E is not one of them. The PowerPlus 32F/16R transmission basically drops your ground by 20% at the press of a button. Frankly I don't see where one would need 32 forward speeds in a tractor of this class. The CaseIH 5140 is 16F/12R and there's always been a speed that was adequate, it has a Power Shuttle and the main gears are synchronized so it does make shifting quite a bit easier. The PowerPlus is an additional $1500 MSRP.

/ john deere 5083e vs 5065m
You don't mention if you're looking for 2WD or 4WD. My wife decided to go with an 5065M because of the deal she got on it and liked the way handled, she can drive anything. She drove the 5083E 4WD and felt it was a bit rough around the edges, noisier, didn't shift quite as well. Anyway she really didn't need 4WD so she sprung for a new 2011 5065M with cab and Power Reverser for $32K. MSRP on this tractor is about $45K. She had looked at Kubota but this deal was too good to pass up. Not sure how many are still out there available but as soon as she said get one he slapped her name on one in VA and it came in today.

Here's the thread about it:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-buying-pricing/248312-looks-like-farm-getting-its.html

Definitely looking at the 4wd. dealer is quoting around 51k, with 4wd and a FEL.

/ john deere 5083e vs 5065m
Definitely looking at the 4wd. dealer is quoting around 51k, with 4wd and a FEL.

Went and drove both today. Really similar as far as handling, they both had the
Air ride seat and were pretty darn comfortable. Would like to get extra seat
But doesn't appear to be available in the e series. Dealer told me 553
Loader no longer available, hadn't seen that. Think I am leaning toward 5083e
Around 47k, sound about right?

/ john deere 5083e vs 5065m #8  
47K with the loader sounds about right.
Grateful11 - the P+ transmission is very useful when you are really using the PTO in heavy work and you need to slow down. Mowing with a 15' batwing then coming to a hill for example. All you have to do is push a button and drop speed by 20%. Don't look at it as a 32 speed transmission. You have 4 ranges with 4 gears each and each gear has a low gear with it when you need to slow down to decrease engine load. The other use for it is to slow down in a particular gear to make a turn. Just push a button. Much easier than clutching especially in repetitive situations.

For many people a 3 range transmission would be fine but creeper gears can be useful, and when you make enough of them the cost differential goes away and it's cheaper to make one transmission in large numbers.

The more you use the tractor the more you find a use for things you though you would never need!

/ john deere 5083e vs 5065m #9  
The 5E series is the most bang for the buck you can get across all JD models IMO. If your looking at a 2012 5083e, then it should be the same cab as the 5065M. About the only thing you could miss out on is the EH 3PH. For $3k less, I'd be taking the 5083e home with me:thumbsup: