Wow! So much to learn.

/ Wow! So much to learn. #31  
View attachment 269859
Here's a shot of the driveway/easement road -- it's the steepest and worst section of road I have. I hope to be able to clean it up each year and keep the snow and ice off of it as much as possible in the winter.

View attachment 269860
There's another shot of the driveway.

View attachment 269861
Last one -- notice the ICE -- it can get 6+ inches deep on this road. Mostly from the snow melt both on the drive itself but also the trees.

Treacherous in the winter but with 4wd, limited slip and 4 chains on my jeep it's no biggie :)

Um.. I don't like the looks of this with snow and ice on it.. but I am a mostly southern boy.. be sure to use chains is all I say.

James K0UA

/ Wow! So much to learn. #32  
View attachment 269862
Just in case you all thought my 20 acres was just a big side hill ;)

There's quite a bit like this also.

Now looking at all these pictures makes me want to get BACK! Sheesh...come on FRIDAY!

Of course this if fine... pretty too.

James K0UA

/ Wow! So much to learn.
Well from what I can see here, this don't look too bad.. its doable.

Thanks, that's probably the steepest section I would mess with. The rest the deer and cows (free range) can deal with.

Lots of work there to do! Of course, I also have a cabin to finish.....:confused2::mur:

/ Wow! So much to learn.
Um.. I don't like the looks of this with snow and ice on it.. but I am a mostly southern boy.. be sure to use chains is all I say.

James K0UA

LOL I don't like the looks of it either -- specially when it's covered in 6 inches of solid ice and 12 inches of snow! Even with chains only on the front you tend to pucker going up and I grew up in BC (British Columbia CAN)!

/ Wow! So much to learn.
Of course this if fine... pretty too.

James K0UA

Thanks -- nothing like a pine forest in Northern Washington in the late spring or early summer after a couple months of rain :) It's one of the best places in the world!

/ Wow! So much to learn.
I received this email from a salesmen today and would like your thoughts on it:

Erik, really appreciate the list of things you will be using the tractor
for. Tractors are tools and you want the right one for the job. Knowing what
you'll be using it for helps me recommend the right tool. Looking at your
list and acreage I would highly recommend a "utility" size tractor. In
tractors we have some basic physical sizes. Sub compact, Compact, Utility,
Utility Ag. Horsepower has no relation to size. A 25 hp tractor and a 36 hp
tractor can be the same size. I have a 35 hp tractor that weighs 5500 pounds
and a 36 hp tractor that weighs 2800 pounds. Sub Compact and Compact would
just be to small for what you're doing. So that really eliminates the
Mahindra 3616 and the 1600 series Masseys which are "Compacts". They are
just to light on their feet for some of the tasks on your list and they are
limited (by horsepower) to a 5 foot brush hog which will take forever to do
10 to 15 acres of mowing.

The 3535 has been discontinued which is a good thing. It was big but very
underpowered. It was replaced by the 4010 which is a great tractor but still
really a compact at 3000 pounds. The 4035 on the other hand is a real
utility sized tractor at 4300 pounds (same horsepower but big difference in
size and weight).The other model to look at is the 5010. It is 50hp but is
the same size as the 4035 and with the current incentives is cheaper than
the 4035. On the 5010 they are offering 4.25% for 72 months and zero down,
zero interest and zero payments till November and you get the same price
incentives as if you were paying cash which on this model is $3000.00. that
puts the price at $19999.99. You can finance at 0% but you would loose the
rebate.

Everybody has 0% but there really is no such thing as 0%. The manufacture is
paying $222.00 per thousand you finance to buy 0%. For example if you
finance 20000 at 0% the manufacturer paid $4400. They add that to the price
and offer you 0%. With 0% you are always paying the interest up front at
4.25 you can decide how much interest you pay. There is no penalty for early
payment and any payment you made before November would be interest free.

As long as you are in our service area all sales come with free delivery,
free pickup for warranty work and 10% off implements for as long as you own
the tractor. Let me know if you have any questions.

/ Wow! So much to learn.
After a lot of asking I was honestly starting to think I had it figured out and that a 3616 should do the job pretty well for me but a 4035 would be better. The price, however, on the 4035 made me think that I ought to settle for the smaller rig and be happy with it -- make it work so to speak.

Thinking back nearly 20 years I remember the little front end loaders I drove in a pulp mill (wood plant) and thought the smaller tractors, while not the end all be-all could do the job.

However, this salesmen gave me pause. For one, the $20k price on the 50hp MFWD tractor with loader seemed pretty darn good! It's actually no different in price then the 4035 and only marginally more then the 3616 I was looking at ($18,600 for Shuttle). SO price wise it's a deal I think.

Size on the other hand is, well, HUGE in comparison! We're talking nearly 5000 lbs just for the tractor and then adding the loader. That's a big tractor.

His point on how long it takes to mow 10-15 acres also made me pause; after all, I only have weekends to mow on and it would be nice to be able to mow it all in one weekend if possible.

Then, of course, is the potential to do other things. The 50hp has to count for a lot when hiring out (if at some time I decide to do that or need to). If, for example, I wanted to cut some hay (talk about needing to learn a LOT) then perhaps this tractor would do the job faster/better?

I recently saw a craig's list ad for someone to come (with tractor) to cut 17 acres of hay, windrow it and then come back and bail it -- price was around $1000 for the whole job (though I was guessing on the bailing costs). That made me thing: well, if I needed to I could hire out the tractor and my son ;)

/ Wow! So much to learn. #38  
I was in a similar situation having just bought 17 acres that is very hilly and rocky. We had a dozer clear and pile 12 acres that will be pasture.

I had around $20k or so I wanted to spend with $23k being absolute max. The Mahindras really caught my eye with the value for true money. The models ending in 10 are TYM Korean made tractors. They didn't appear as well made in my opinion as the 35 or 16 series. The 16 series are made in Japan my Mitsubishi which are known to be quality units.

I only wanted to use a 5 ft bush hog. We kept a good many trees and have several places that just the tractor will fit so I didn't want anything wider than the tractor. I was able to buy a Mahindra 3616 shuttle cab with a loader for $23k out the door.

My hillsides can't be cut sideways on any tractor but i cut them easy up and down. It will pick up a 4x5 round bale out of the back of a truck without loaded tires or an implement on the back. I did load the tires and will use one but it will handle round bales. We only put out 15 or so bales a year for horses.

I have no regrets on the 3616. It's big enough for loader work but not too big for cleaning stalls and simple tasks. I prefer a shuttle but that's a personal thing. They feel stronger and don't have the whine of an HST but again that's a personal preference.

I will say I would not want anything smaller though. I thought this to be the compromise I was looking for plus I got my cab I wanted all inside my budget.

/ Wow! So much to learn.
I was in a similar situation having just bought 17 acres that is very hilly and rocky. We had a dozer clear and pile 12 acres that will be pasture.

I had around $20k or so I wanted to spend with $23k being absolute max. The Mahindras really caught my eye with the value for true money. The models ending in 10 are TYM Korean made tractors. They didn't appear as well made in my opinion as the 35 or 16 series. The 16 series are made in Japan my Mitsubishi which are known to be quality units.

I only wanted to use a 5 ft bush hog. We kept a good many trees and have several places that just the tractor will fit so I didn't want anything wider than the tractor. I was able to buy a Mahindra 3616 shuttle cab with a loader for $23k out the door.

My hillsides can't be cut sideways on any tractor but i cut them easy up and down. It will pick up a 4x5 round bale out of the back of a truck without loaded tires or an implement on the back. I did load the tires and will use one but it will handle round bales. We only put out 15 or so bales a year for horses.

I have no regrets on the 3616. It's big enough for loader work but not too big for cleaning stalls and simple tasks. I prefer a shuttle but that's a personal thing. They feel stronger and don't have the whine of an HST but again that's a personal preference.

I will say I would not want anything smaller though. I thought this to be the compromise I was looking for plus I got my cab I wanted all inside my budget.

You got a cab with that too? The $23k must be before taxes then? I've been assuming I'll have to pay sales tax on a tractor in WA State so have been calculating everything with an additional 8.8% tax on top.

Since the 5010 is a TYM I might pass on it right there lol -- I'm hearing the Mitsubishi/Japanese Mahindra's are the best and I need something that's going to be as trouble free as possible. My location is remote and the nearest tractor repair/dealer is at least an hour away not including the time it takes to get a heavy trailer down the mountain.....though no tractor is perfect I want to try to get one that has a good record so to speak.

I also hadn't though much about trying to get the brush hog and tractor between trees....this tends to make me lean back towards the 3616 again..

Thanks

/ Wow! So much to learn. #40  
I think your dealer is doing you right in steering you towards the 4035 or 5010. You will greatly benefit from the extra size and power.

Speaking of baling, I wouldn't attempt to run any sort of a baler behind the 3616, the 4035 would be able to run a small square, but the 5010 could definitely run a small square and possibly a round baler.

If I were you I'd still be looking at the 4035. I wouldn't be afraid of TYM, but the Mistubishi is definitely higher quality.

How much is a 5035? What type of transmission are you looking at?