Wow! So much to learn.

/ Wow! So much to learn. #1  

emcvay

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010 w/FEL
Hi All,

If there is one thing I've learned in the last 6-12 months is that I have much to learn!

I've been kicking tires a little and planning my first tractor purchase. I'm not in a huge hurry (thanks to a tight budget and poor economy and my desire not to use credit, or to limit its use) but expect to buy soon (3 months maybe).

We've got 20 acres of mostly pine forest with a little bit of natural pasture (maybe as much as 5 acres but I've never measured and guess more like 2 or 3) and are in the process of building a cabin and orchard.

Since the land is in the hills (and more or less a hill) I have some grades between benches to deal with as well as 2+ feet of snow in the winter. We don't live on the land but would like to make sure we have access year round so we'll have to plow/blow snow during the few months of snow in the winter.

I also plan to clean up the access road and work on some roads on the property as well as clear brush, mow, move slash piles to safe areas for burning, clear rocks, mow brush, bushes, saplings to increase meadow area and disk/plow/till the acreage that we have that's meadow so we can start growing some cover crops (to fix the soil for other crops or perhaps just to attract game).

At some point we'll likely put a few cows on the property to eat and sell annually but I have a fence to build first among other things.

I also have a small sawmill (Woodmizer LT10) and would like a tractor that I can use to pull logs to the mill as well as load them.

My father who lived on a farm when he was a boy (born and raised actually) tells me that 30hp is about all I should need. His dad had a Farmall A that was about 15hp so perhaps he's right...or not. Anyway, I'm thinking 30-35hp and 4wd but all of that is just from tire kicking, talking to salesmen and gleaning info off others on the net.

I've love to hear your thoughts on what I probably could use/need would be nice to have etc as well as on brands particularly these: Manhindra, Massey, Branson, New Holland, John Deere, Kubota and Case.

Dollar wise I was originally looking at buying used in the $3500-$5000 range but have since moved into the New/Used $10,000-$20,000 range because of financing options offered lately and my desire to get the best tractor I can get for the money without limiting myself to 2WD tractors that are 40 years old ;)

My latest interest is a New Holland 1510 w/loader that is being offered at $15,375 new. It's tempting but I want to be certain that it's the right approach before I go out and commit to that much cash/credit!

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.
Erik

/ Wow! So much to learn. #2  
MADMAX did a lot of tire kicking on the LS brand, which apparently makes the boomer series and others for MF I think. He said there was great value in those models but ended up with a Mahindra Max 28xl due to the dealer.

/ Wow! So much to learn.
Thanks for the feedback. I just learned about Mahindra's the other day actually and they seem to have pretty decent feedback.

My biggest issue is dealerships -- in my area the closest I've found so far is 70 miles away and where my property is it's looking like 200+

Locally we have New Holland, Case, John Deere, Kubota and 35 minutes away Branson and Yanmar.

Not sure of any others local -- by my property I may be limitted to JD and Kubota but I'm still searching (it's 250 miles drive from where I live).

Thanks

/ Wow! So much to learn. #4  
emcvay said:
Thanks for the feedback. I just learned about Mahindra's the other day actually and they seem to have pretty decent feedback.

My biggest issue is dealerships -- in my area the closest I've found so far is 70 miles away and where my property is it's looking like 200+

Locally we have New Holland, Case, John Deere, Kubota and 35 minutes away Branson and Yanmar.

Not sure of any others local -- by my property I may be limitted to JD and Kubota but I'm still searching (it's 250 miles drive from where I live).

Thanks

I have mahindra Max 22 and love it. But you seem to be needing more of the max28 range of power.

/ Wow! So much to learn.
Sure looks like a small tractor! Will it pull an 80 foot ponderosa off the side hill? Just curious but one of the tasks I have for a tractor is hauling logs out of the pine forest where I cut them and over to the mill. I cut them into cant lengths (8'6" or 10'6" roughly) once I have them in a manageable place but any tractor I get must pull them as well as my Jeep ;)

/ Wow! So much to learn. #6  
Sure looks like a small tractor! Will it pull an 80 foot ponderosa off the side hill? Just curious but one of the tasks I have for a tractor is hauling logs out of the pine forest where I cut them and over to the mill. I cut them into cant lengths (8'6" or 10'6" roughly) once I have them in a manageable place but any tractor I get must pull them as well as my Jeep ;)

You need a heavier tractor, a Mahindra 3016 , I believe, would be more comparable to the NH 1520. I would go even heavier like a Mahindra 3535, or even a 4025 4WD.

/ Wow! So much to learn.
You need a heavier tractor, a Mahindra 3016 , I believe, would be more comparable to the NH 1520. I would go even heavier like a Mahindra 3535, or even a 4025 4WD.

Thanks for the post -- I have a call scheduled with a Mahindra dealer today to discuss pricing and will keep that in mind.

I like the pricing on the New Holland but if a bigger Mahindra is around the same price then it might be worth my while.

/ Wow! So much to learn.
Spoke with a Mahindra dealer today who quoted me $18,600 for a 4WD 3616 w/loader.

Certainly affordable with their financing and 5 year warranty makes me think it's backed by someone with confidence.

A little more then the comparable New Holland that's on sale for $16,900 though perhaps a bigger tractor physically which might be nice.

He also recommended a Shuttle vs. HST because of the long driveway up the hill to our place that I may need/want to plow (very likely I WILL plow/blow snow on it each winter actually)....and a few other things (like loader work).

Thoughts?

/ Wow! So much to learn. #9  
I have a 1983 Ford 1710 which was made by Shibaura and has about 24 hp. It has FWD and it does everything I would want along with not being too big to put on a lawn. I have pulled 30" diameter 10" long cherry logs with it, use a 5' bush hog, plow snow, and even back it right into my pond to pull weeds as well as finish cut the lawn. It is amazing what a small compact tractor will do. Too big and it will not be as flexible. By the same token not ahving enough power when you need it is a big problem.

Since you are looking at an HST you will need a little more hp to get the same to the ground or PTO so I would seriously look at going one size up and see if that still fits you. But a 1510 is not a bad choice for what you are describing.

/ Wow! So much to learn.
I have a 1983 Ford 1710 which was made by Shibaura and has about 24 hp. It has FWD and it does everything I would want along with not being too big to put on a lawn. I have pulled 30" diameter 10" long cherry logs with it, use a 5' bush hog, plow snow, and even back it right into my pond to pull weeds as well as finish cut the lawn. It is amazing what a small compact tractor will do. Too big and it will not be as flexible. By the same token not ahving enough power when you need it is a big problem.

Since you are looking at an HST you will need a little more hp to get the same to the ground or PTO so I would seriously look at going one size up and see if that still fits you. But a 1510 is not a bad choice for what you are describing.

If you could afford the New Holland 1510 or the Mahindra 3616 which would you most likely choose?

I like the 5yr warranty on the Mahindra and wonder if it might be better to get the bigger tractor with this in mind: I may never have the finances to buy one again (with this economy one can't be certain) so is it best to buy bigger (not like the 35-37hp Mahindra is THAT much bigger then the 1510 or 1520 but it does appear to be a bigger/heavier tractor and I think it has more loader lift)?

Also, I thinking shuttle shift might be better even in the 35hp just from talking to an older salesman more familiar with the mountains in my neck of the woods.