SCUT pulling capabilities

/ SCUT pulling capabilities #1  

vhensler

Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Hey everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research lately about buying a tractor. I recently purchased a house with 3.5 acres of land, 2.5 of which is mow-able with the other ~acre split between pasture and garden. I'm looking for something that can take care of the driveway in the winter (around 100 feet), mow grass, till the garden and just help maintain the property. If I can get the pasture grass cut down and maintained that would be great too. I've kind of narrowed the search down to either JD's 1026R or a Kubota BX2360/2660. I've driven all three and all are really nice IMO. One thing that I cannot find any info is what these machines can pull. I've got an old two row corn planter that has been used as a flower bed decoration, it's one that was designed to be pulled behind a horse that would just hook up to a standard hitch point. It's kind of a goal to get it in working order again and I'm getting close. Would something like this be too heavy for either of these tractors to pull, or would that be nothing for them?

Thanks!

/ SCUT pulling capabilities #2  
Welcome to TBN. I can't really say since I don't have either the tractor or planter you're talking about BUT talking about stuff I know nothing about is my specialty! I'm going to say it's not a matter of IF you can pull it with any of those machines, it's going to be how fast you can pull it, and you probably don't want to pull it that fast anyway. It'll come down to traction, not hp and you'll get traction from weight. If you want to pull it though the mud, you'll have more issues than a dry field.

/ SCUT pulling capabilities #3  
You should be able to pull a 2 bottom plow with a 2360 if you ballast the tires. Power wont be a problem but traction might be if you dont have the weight. As for the planter, no problem at all with that. Remember that back in the mule days a team (2) could pull one bottom plow and the biggest tractor HP wise was about 20 HP like the 8N Fords, C Farmalls etc. There werent any huge HP needs and most family farms were only about 40 acres or less which was easily farmed with a 20 HP tractor. They weighed a bit more back then than todays CUT and SCUT but with 4 WD in the small tractors today, they will pull just as much as the old iron.
Talk to your dealer and maybe they can arrange a demo for you with what is appropriate for the tractor you are considering.

/ SCUT pulling capabilities #4  
That type of information is available from the U. of Nebraska Tractor Test Lab

NE Tractor Test Publications

Unfortunately, the lab tests ag tractors, not SCUT/CUTs.

I don't think you'll find pulling info for those little tractors anywhere, even from the dealer. Gary Fowler's advice is probably best--arrange a test with the dealer. Lotsa luck getting a dealer to do that for you.

/ SCUT pulling capabilities #6  
I think you should be able to pull the planter with both of these tractors. As for the rest of your jobs the BXs' and the 1026R would be a good fit for you.

/ SCUT pulling capabilities #7  
You should be able to pull a 2 bottom plow with a 2360 if you ballast the tires.

I'm no so sure about that. I was told that was going to be to much for my Kioti CK30, which weighs almost 3 times what a 2360 does. Now that I have a 45hp tractor, I'm thinking I'll be able to borrow my friends 2 bottom plow, but I didn't even try with the last tractor. I'd say the planter is fine and a single bottom plow might work.

/ SCUT pulling capabilities
Great information! Thanks a lot everyone, that really helps. I'm planning on hitting up another local set of dealers this weekend just to get another round of numbers for each of the tractors I'm looking at. Figured a second opinion can't hurt. I'll also be able to drive all of them in the same day again, practically back to back.

Thanks again!

/ SCUT pulling capabilities #9  
Those tractors weigh about 2000lbs. I suspect they are rated to pull at least that much. I suspect a good bit more. My garden tractor is rated to pull 1500lb.