Comparison John Deer 5065 vrs Kubota 5640

/ John Deer 5065 vrs Kubota 5640 #1  

fishmak

Tractor
ford
I have 90 acres going to build on. Need to dig a very long 4500 trench for water, then my primary need is cutting the 90 at the end of the season. Want it to stay grassland. Also need a front end blower for 4500ft drive.
I would like to use a 12 foot bat wing cutter. Specs say 50 pto. JD is 55 Kubota is 50.

I like the Kubota, engine is nice.
The Kubota dealer is sticking to the MSRP for the tractor and the attatchments.
JD is taking about 2500 off msrp, and seems to be giving a break on attatchments. Both will finance for 0 down 0%.

So questions:
Is it strange that Kubota wont come off the msrp?
Is the extra 5 on the pto important for a cutter that size?
Does a regular gear shift last as long as an HST?
Thanks in advance

/ John Deer 5065 vrs Kubota 5640 #2  
Yes - should be around 15% off MSRP

Are you looking at a finish mower or rotary cutter? Either of those will struggle with a rotary cutter, either will easily pull a finish mower in that size.

Gear transmissions have been around much longer than HST. Typically speaking, a gear is simpler and will therefore last slightly longer. Taken care of, both are equal.

--------

Not sure either of these tractors would be able to be equipped with a front mounted snow blower. You need a mid PTO and neither have one. You can get a hydraulically powered one to put on your FEL, but they are extremely pricey.

A backhoe would be very price for the trench as well, may just hire that out.

--------

I do believe that JD is a little nicer tractor (more features) than the Kubota. I believe a M6040 Kubota would be more comparable.

/ John Deer 5065 vrs Kubota 5640
Thanks for the reply, have the summer to dig the trench, plus my 17 yo son needs somthing to do:) I was quoted 4-6 dollar per foot for the trench...so thought I would take that 18-26,000 and apply it to a tractor I will need anyway.
This would be for a rotary cutter. I know it is on the fence as far as power, that is why I was asking. Not sure if the extra 5hsp I get from the JD is enough. I will be cutting in the fall...so not as bad as other times. I have cut the entire thing with an 8n ford and a 5ft bushhog. Just like the good ol'days.
The JD quote was actually almost 2 1/2K less then the 5640su which surprised me....

/ John Deer 5065 vrs Kubota 5640 #4  
My advice, look at a JD 5083E, will be more comparable in features to the 5640su, much more power and should be less money than the 5065M. It will easily run a 12' rotary cutter.

A backhoe for one of these units will run you about $12,000, I would recommend looking at a used industrial backhoe, digging the trench and selling it. A nice 80's model should be no less than $10k and you should be able to get nearly all of your money back once you've dug the trench selling it, would be much more economical if you don't have any other plans with the backhoe.

/ John Deer 5065 vrs Kubota 5640 #5  
Price the 5075 too. Might find for the difference in price could move up a step. I have 5303 which is the previous model same as 5065. I can load the engine with my MX6 cutter in thick bahia. Sharp blades for grass mowing make a big difference.

For that length of ditch, I recommend renting a ride on trencher with angle front blade. Would be much better suited to the digging and backfilling required.

/ John Deer 5065 vrs Kubota 5640 #6  
Are you mowing a full 90 acres? if so, get a 15' bat wing. I know it's a lot of money but that 3' will make a huge difference in time. If you have that much field you might want go up in size at least one tractor.

/ John Deer 5065 vrs Kubota 5640 #7  
12ft mower was a bit much for my old m6040 but the new m7040 handles it no problem. If it were me I would look at a 15ft batwing and m8540 or 9540 that's alot of grass. That's the route I took m9540 and 2615 bush hog and no regrets. The m7040 is back up with the old 12ft bush hog.

/ John Deer 5065 vrs Kubota 5640
Thanks for the input. I actually will use the backhoe for small jobs when everything is done, so going to bite the bullet and get it, again the savings on digging our own ditch justify the cost. Very lucky to have several good dealers around here. These are both very good companies and very good tractors....gonna go with the deer. Now sorting out the 5065E vrs the 5075E. While the 5083e is very nice, I'm one who really does not like cabs. Been bouncing around on a ford 8n for 15 years....I like the breeze in my face. PTO readings from Nebraska indicate that the 5065E measures out at 56.5 vrs 62.8 Land pride claims their 12 ft cutters will work with a 50hp PTO, but that is the low end. There is a nice 5065E on the lot...going to go see if I can see a 5075E...Thanks again for all the great input.MK

/ John Deer 5065 vrs Kubota 5640 #9  
I suspect you already know this, but the only visible difference between the 5065 and the 5075 will be the stickers on the hood. For the mower you are wanting to run I would spend the extra couple thousand on the 5075.

/ John Deer 5065 vrs Kubota 5640 #10  
cutter up all the way.JPGrearviewbatwing.JPGmowing.JPGcutting hay2.JPG5040 and ds rear view.JPG

15FT BATWING
8FT HAY CUTTER
12FT WOODS
KUBOTA 5040(46PTO)